Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Q&A Have you lost any intrest in battle rap this year???

Old 07-29-2018, 12:42 AM   #1
brickbeatz
Beatz on deck!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
brickbeatz is not the worst person
Have you lost any intrest in battle rap this year???

I personally feel like its been a pretty shitty year for battle rap. The smack volume series is weak asf. They had some great matchups but every battle I've seen from that series has been trash. I haven't seen anything great from KOTD in a long while. it honestly feels like they aren't even trying. I had some pretty high hopes for that RBE event but that joint is already a disappointment. Is it just me or does anybody else feel like battle rap is in a big slump???

https://audiomack.com/artist/brickbeatz-1
brickbeatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #2
Dusted123

Dusted123 is not the worst person
Kinda but no because Ruin Your Day made battle rap interesting to me again and I feel like I enjoy watching that channel, live or uploads, as much as I was looking forward to battles before
Dusted123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #3
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
i realized that i was getting old... thats the thing. these new kids think t top and nu jerzy twork are the shit while i like old school verb, hoody lux n qleen

i thought battle rap was getting worse but the fact is that it's evolving and something in my subconscious doesnt like change

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. calicoe
5. pat stay
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:15 AM   #4
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
worst year in quite some time. KOTD's only event looked and felt like a mediocre RBE card. smack's bottom-tiers can't pull off a watchable PPV and nome only had a couple noteworthy battles. RBE's PG2 was great though and the mook card should keep the momentum going. SM7 looks decent and SM8 may be interesting.

the vol series has been a bit of a letdown. i think it would've been best suited for battlers who have an alternative style to what a big stage crowd is used to. but instead, we got mike p vs young kannon and jjdd vs rum nitty.

if i wasn't friends with people who've kept interest, i wouldn't know what's happening in the scene and i likely wouldn't be keeping up with any event or uploads. RYD, RBE, and nutdog tv are the only platforms i've been keeping an eye on.

Last edited by peace; 07-29-2018 at 02:30 AM.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:28 AM   #5
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
As I wrote last year, I only watch battles by rappers that I like and I know will perform. Plus I only watch one or possibly two a week. Battle rap is still crazy entertaining if you do that, but you have to be VERY selective.

Also props to the forum and RYD Facebook page as both are great for saving me from battles that I otherwise might watch and would disappoint and pointing out new talent I otherwise wouldn't care about.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 02:30 AM   #6
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
worst year in quite some time. KOTD's only event looked and felt like a mediocre RBE card. smack's bottom-tiers can't pull off a watchable PPV and nome only had a couple noteworthy battles.
I think maybe you're just burned out. Considering the names on the card, KOTD's event massively overdelivered. I enjoyed most of the releases so far.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:31 AM   #7
mike rigs
#trusttheplug

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
mike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarctica
So you signed up for a battlerap forum just to make your first post a thread about how you dont like battlerap anymore???

go on a hike, or play racquetball, or something, and get off the internet my guy.
mike rigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:19 AM   #8
Metazone
(⌐■_■)=/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Metazone is better than Grind Time AustraliaMetazone is better than Grind Time Australia
Honestly I feel like my interest in battle rap has declined massively in the last 3 years, year on year more so.

I watched literally every good battle put out by Jumpoff and then GrindTime, URL, KOTD and Don't Flop. I would say I started losing interest around the time that weird event happened where Caddy dressed up as a KKK member vs Day. That was corny as fuck to me.

I have watched many battles since then but I have picked them on views and other people's recommendations whereas before I would have watched stuff straight away.

The proliferation of leagues hasn't helped my interest, a new one springs up every other week (the UK scene is an utter mess in that regard). That destroyed my interest in the UK scene, KOTD seems to be going down also recently. BOTZ had some ok battles but most of their events involve a bunch of no-names. URL has some decent battles but when you look at how it used to be they have also fell off.

Maybe I have just fell out of love with it, but that is my own opinion. I will watch something which people say is a certified banger but I won't be the one looking for it.

Also doesn't help that this site is now a graveyard of its former self (I used to be on battle rap.com before also btw).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Deuce View Post
I was hungry after the event and had no idea where to go for food and strongly considered just following big t knowing he would lead me to the promised land

Last edited by Metazone; 07-29-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Metazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
iamHBY

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rigs View Post
So you signed up for a battlerap forum just to make your first post a thread about how you dont like battlerap anymore???

go on a hike, or play racquetball, or something, and get off the internet my guy.
He should take up birding!
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
It is what it is.

People grow, people go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
No money.

Just Cheese and glory.
cripplesunday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i lost interest a while ago i still watch battles mainly out of habit tbh i probably only enjoy about 5-10 percent of most of what i've seen recently
Old 07-29-2018, 02:36 PM   #12
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontwannabethatguy View Post
i lost interest a while ago i still watch battles mainly out of habit tbh i probably only enjoy about 5-10 percent of most of what i've seen recently
This is what I'm saying though. I bet that that 5-10% that you enjoyed were a bunch of rappers that you knew would deliver. I don't buy Paul Barman CDs on the off-chance that he might not suck, so why watch a battle not on that basis?
Old 07-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #13
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
This is what I'm saying though. I bet that that 5-10% that you enjoyed were a bunch of rappers that you knew would deliver. I don't buy Paul Barman CDs on the off-chance that he might not suck, so why watch a battle not on that basis?
cause its the fear you might be missing out on something good it's the same reason people scroll on twitter or facebook everyday. more often than not you're not gonna miss anything it's more the fear that you might. plus battling is hard to get back into once you stop i find , a lot can happen in a short space of time
Old 07-29-2018, 04:35 PM   #14
bobbylight

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
bobbylight is not the worst person
I think it happened years ago for me. I have probably watched like an hour or two of battle rap this whole year lol.
bobbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #15
Smokey-Clovn
Krakkka Killa

Smokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICESmokey-Clovn is NICE
Weak shit I still watch all good ones most is hot thrash lit garbage
Old 07-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #16
brickbeatz
Beatz on deck!!

Quote:
yup...

Old 07-30-2018, 10:52 AM   #17
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
I don't watch the youtube releases from any league but I still regularly get the PPVs, I find it way more entertaining watching the battles live.

I watch basically everything RYD put out, I think they've got a good format going.

I've stopped going to events but that's partly because the UK scene doesn't have many battlers I care about anymore.

I think I've lost interest abit but I've not gone off it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I'd say Chef Trez is my Bangz
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #18
Assassin Ben

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
Smack battles have become uninteresting

KOTD cant stomach recently

Maybe it's an age thing

UK Scene is a little bitchy right now

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChopChoiceBeats
www.facebook.com/ChopChoiceBeats

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. MF Doom
4. Notorious BIG
5. Rick Ross
Assassin Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #19
erfworm

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
erfworm is better than Grind Time Australiaerfworm is better than Grind Time Australia
About the same as everyone else my interest has definitely fell off the last couple of years. I catch the most talked about battles, or battlers I like but mostly just watch Ruin Your Day now.

Not kept up with UK battle rap at all and the few recent ones Ive watched were disappointing.
erfworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #20
idealaedi

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
idealaedi is not the worst person
this has been the best year for battle rap in ages. I think some of the rapmusic.com / rmbva / otbva OGs are just getting old. Like people stuck in the 90's golden age era of hip hop and snubbing their noses at anything new.
idealaedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #21
Spacelab

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Spacelab is not the worst person
I can't believe what happened this year.

BODIED had some amazing momentum -- it won the Midnight Screening award at TIFF which is a big deal in Toronto for a local film.

Eminem producing — great reviews, a movie about free speech / racism right at the moment culture is exploding about these topics

Then what???

They fucked themselves agreeing to release on Youtube Red, aka burying the movie out in the desert

No theatrical release, no new trailer or marketing — ploof. Like a cannonball dropped into a lake. Gone.

Fuuuuck Kid twist must be disappointed.

I'm a huge fan and I haven't seen the movie yet because I can't figure it out. Where do I go, who do I pay to see it? Is it even out yet? I dunno.

Disappointing. BODIED deserved to give KOTD a big push of exposure and somehow they managed to take this potential blockbuster unexpected hit and squander it.

I hope I'm wrong and it's going to make a wave but it certainly did NOT build on TIFF and that unexpected win at all

Last edited by Spacelab; 07-30-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Spacelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 PM   #22
ThaDiz
A bump bump bump

ThaDiz is not the worst person
Yeah I honestly forgot BODIED Even happened. Where did that go I wouldn't mind seeing it once at least?
ThaDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:38 PM   #23
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Im 28 now so thats probably it

I started watching fightclub and old scribble battles at like 11 or 12 so basically im just aging out

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #24
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
yeah I started having a hard time getting into new battle rappers a while back and now a lot of vets are battling less plus like most of yall said i'm probably just getting older and more busy.
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:49 AM   #25
3xthoroughb
Crakk Nicholson

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
3xthoroughb is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyProehl View Post
Im 28 now so thats probably it

I started watching fightclub and old scribble battles at like 11 or 12 so basically im just aging out
this but i also agree with most of the sentiment in this thread. love seeing new talent, and there are several new ppl i like but in general the whole scene feels less exciting. hollow vs ars was the last battle i saw and it was only okay to me

http://crakknicholson.com/
3xthoroughb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #26
brickbeatz
Beatz on deck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelab View Post
I can't believe what happened this year.

BODIED had some amazing momentum -- it won the Midnight Screening award at TIFF which is a big deal in Toronto for a local film.

Eminem producing ó great reviews, a movie about free speech / racism right at the moment culture is exploding about these topics

Then what???
Bruh, I totally forgot how stoked I was for this to come out. They hella dropped the ball on that. Really unfortunate

Old 08-01-2018, 03:52 AM   #27
Water Mage

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
yeah, people are growing up, moving on but its not like there are hordes of new teenage fans replacing the old school fans. Even back in 2012 I predicted that battle rap and specifically KOTD would be in a state of decay

Everything gets old and boring, so a radical change is needed to bring life into a culture. No such change is happening, there will continue to be a state of stagnation and decay

the entertainment and fun value of battles has been almost nil for years.. I'm surprised battle rap hasn't completely imploded tbh

Pretty much anything I can imagine is more fun and entertaining than watching a battle..

Last edited by Water Mage; 08-01-2018 at 03:54 AM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:43 AM   #28
iamHBY

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I still watch a lot of battles.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #29
GASP
Trollin Trolled

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
GASP is a PY Poster
Grind Time was by far the best time. Then Smack came with their fake Illuminati gangster bullshit and shit slowly died, just because sheeple faggots pretended to like that gangster shit when they did not. Battle rap been dead since 2011 or 12, congratulations sheep faggots. Good luck watching rainbow color haired retards on tv.
GASP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #30
grandgroove

grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Have you lost any intrest in battle rap this year???

Quote:

Co-sign. Thereís at least 2-3 ďIím not feeling battle rap anymoreĒ threads on here. While Iím sure we can all relate, getting away from a bit usually will renew interest.

Itís almost always burnout.
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #31
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I still watch a lot of battles.
so do i , but do you enjoy a lot of battles? like actually enjoy
Old 08-02-2018, 06:08 PM   #32
Franklin Drebin
Police Squad

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Franklin Drebin is better than Grind Time AustraliaFranklin Drebin is better than Grind Time Australia
I think age has a lot to do with it. Shit, Iím almost 33. I mean when Nas was 33 he premiered ďHip Hop Is Dead,Ē now that Iím 33 my interest in hip hop is dead. And Biggie Smalls status as a legendís quite clear, and when he was 33 heíd been dead for 9 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't believe it was her. It was like a dream. But there she was, just as I remembered her. That delicately beautiful face. And a body that could melt a cheese sandwich from across the room. And breasts that seemed to say... "Hey! Look at these!" She was the kind of woman who made you want to drop to your knees and thank God you were a man! She reminded me of my mother, all right. No doubt about it.
Franklin Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #33
grandgroove

grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Drebin View Post
I think age has a lot to do with it. Shit, Iím almost 33. I mean when Nas was 33 he premiered ďHip Hop Is Dead,Ē now that Iím 33 my interest in hip hop is dead. And Biggie Smalls status as a legendís quite clear, and when he was 33 heíd been dead for 9 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need more Iron in your diet.
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:01 AM   #34
mike rigs
#trusttheplug

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
mike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarctica
if you feel this way, and haven't ever been to an event there might be a correlation.

I rarely watch youtube these days.

The excitement of the ppv's and the live events us were it is at.
mike rigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags