Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Ganik on KOTD 2018

Old 08-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Casual

Mentioned: 454 Post(s)
Casual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battle
Ganik on KOTD 2018

Rough year, though they didn't mention all the merch that we're copping for our girls so hopefully that cut into some of the losses.

Either way cop that Mass5 PPV for the cultcha.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
Casual

Casual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battle
Speaking of Mass 5

Erik Foreman vs. O Solo yeeeeeeeeeeeeesh.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
i find that respectable
Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
i respect the fact that he works his ass off to keep it afloat but damn it sounds like this just isnt profitable for him

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. geechi gotti
5. pat stay
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
Sky2real

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Sky2real is better than Grind Time AustraliaSky2real is better than Grind Time Australia
He’s so shocked that nobody was interested in those shitty cards lmaooo!!! The fool should pay me 10,000 a year to be his advisor in putting together cards. I understand you want to save money on the cards but you have to understand that booking no name Canadian nerdbird battlers will net you very little money.

Honestly it’s time for Organik to just hang it up....you did well. Open up a different business.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #6
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 418 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2real View Post
Heís so shocked that nobody was interested in those shitty cards lmaooo!!! The fool should pay me 10,000 a year to be his advisor in putting together cards. I understand you want to save money on the cards but you have to understand that booking no name Canadian nerdbird battlers will net you very little money.

Honestly itís time for Organik to just hang it up....you did well. Open up a different business.
day 2 is pretty shitty, man. you put it bluntly, but honestly im with ya

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. geechi gotti
5. pat stay
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
Travis >>>
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #8
Emancee

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2real View Post
I understand you want to save money on the cards but you have to understand that booking no name Canadian nerdbird battlers will net you very little money.
While I partly agree with you about the card, I think that it is telling that people think that way.

When DF was at the top, they were self-sustaining, constantly bringing in new talent. They could put on cards with only DF talent and people would be happy.

Ganik unfortunately banked too much on overseas talent and is reaping the bad harvest that results from that.I am struggling to think of a single Canadian talent coming through

A lot of guys on this forum have given good advice such as allying himself with the comedy clubs, getting rid of the belt and replacing it with a battler of the year battle off, and offering incentives for lower tier guys (make the belt more tempting for example).

Instead we are stuck with the situation where everyone expects a horribly overpriced card with few Canadians as possible on it, doh!
Nuts like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:31 AM   #9
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
While I partly agree with you about the card, I think that it is telling that people think that way.

When DF was at the top, they were self-sustaining, constantly bringing in new talent. They could put on cards with only DF talent and people would be happy.

Ganik unfortunately banked too much on overseas talent and is reaping the bad harvest that results from that.I am struggling to think of a single Canadian talent coming through

A lot of guys on this forum have given good advice such as allying himself with the comedy clubs, getting rid of the belt and replacing it with a battler of the year battle off, and offering incentives for lower tier guys (make the belt more tempting for example).

Instead we are stuck with the situation where everyone expects a horribly overpriced card with few Canadians as possible on it, doh!
They invested in new talent though. A big issue is they couldn't keep any of that talent once they got popular. And dudes like Gjonaj and Psychoses had pretty decent buzz and then suddenly retired. Aside from that, they genuinely struggled with recognizing talent in GZ, imo.
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings

Mentioned: 945 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
Years ago when GT collapsed KOTD should've absorbed a lot of US geographic areas and the talent in those areas faster than they did.

Detroit, Philly, DMV, New England (iBattle territory), Upstate New York are a handful of places that come to mind. I think about DF USA years ago and how such a thing should've never happened because KOTD should've already set up shop in the places where DF threw these events.

I don't know if such a growth model would've led to more buzz/views but I'm sure it would've saved them a lot more money over the years and made them more financially stable.

The USA has something like 9x the population as Canada. The emphasis should've always been expansion into the US in a sustainable manner (with Toronto always maintaining a clear presence as home base) rather than equal growth throughout both countries. Did KOTD really benefit from throwing events in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, etc with no real (as in potential star) talent coming out of these areas? Most of the battles that came from these places really diluted the brand.
SonnyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #11
JR77

JR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
Years ago when GT collapsed KOTD should've absorbed a lot of US geographic areas and the talent in those areas faster than they did.

Detroit, Philly, DMV, New England (iBattle territory), Upstate New York are a handful of places that come to mind. I think about DF USA years ago and how such a thing should've never happened because KOTD should've already set up shop in the places where DF threw these events.

I don't know if such a growth model would've led to more buzz/views but I'm sure it would've saved them a lot more money over the years and made them more financially stable.

The USA has something like 9x the population as Canada. The emphasis should've always been expansion into the US in a sustainable manner (with Toronto always maintaining a clear presence as home base) rather than equal growth throughout both countries. Did KOTD really benefit from throwing events in Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, etc with no real (as in potential star) talent coming out of these areas? Most of the battles that came from these places really diluted the brand.
Well, the Montreal division gave us Bender so that alone was worth it
JR77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #12
Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR77 View Post
Well, the Montreal division gave us Bender so that alone was worth it
Yeah plus if there was no Montreal division then there'd be no Montreal division president.

If there was no Montreal division president then Loe Pesci wouldn't have been Montreal division president.

And if Loe Pesci wasn't the Montreal division president then we wouldn't have gotten a classic Syco performance.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 AM   #13
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
And if Loe Pesci wasn't the Montreal division president then we wouldn't have gotten a classic Syco performance.

He took Pesci into OT and 3:0d Oshea. Syco is da GOAT of this shit!
Nuts like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; Stone Cold/ cans; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #14
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Citty towers isaac knox eriik foreman not bad

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #15
jaykramer11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
jaykramer11 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
He took Pesci into OT and 3:0d Oshea. Syco is da GOAT of this ***!
Happy belated birthday to the GOAT!
jaykramer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #16
Ayo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ayo! is a PY Poster
Seems like they depend entirely on PPV sales. Gonna be a hard sell if that's how they expect to make money. I've watched a lot of battle rap over the last 8 or so years, but I'd never purchase a PPV. I'm fine waiting until it comes out on YouTube, and if it never comes out, oh well, life goes on.

Smack benefits from bringing in much larger audiences and therefore earning more at the door plus now they've got the app. I guess they really are the innovators.

Without some sort of new idea, KOTD will be joining GT and DF soon. Even though the Oakland card had top names, I didn't have the same energy checking for the battles on YouTube. Several years ago, KOTD was constantly putting out new battles. Typically one per week and more often than not, they had replay value. Now they barely put battles out anymore. Maybe one a month. My interest flows elsewhere and it's hard to get my attention again. Especially at one battle a month. I find myself turning these battles off before they even conclude because my interest in battle rap has waned with KOTD's inactivity.
Ayo! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags