Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
KOTD turns 9. Battlerap has come a very long way from when it started.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Serge T
Magitek Mayhem

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Serge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local league
KOTD turns 9. Battlerap has come a very long way from when it started.

I'll be frank. KOTD was seen as a joke when it began. It was this pigmy, Canadian sideshow, while GT made sure to ridicule it in battles and blogs. GT wasn't just the only show in town, it was the place to be. KOTD, to their credit, didn't care to fit in. While other leagues popped up begging to be acknowledged, hopefully franchised, by GT, KOTD continued to do their own thing for their fans; a rabid fanbase that packed events, and a dedicated staff that was hand picked by Organik himself. While the quality of battles left a lot to be desired, the likes of Pat Stay, Kid Twist and Hollohan stood out as equals to the likes of The Saurus, Illmac and Dumbfounded (among others) over at GT.

The talent pool at GT was so deep that eventually a few of them began to get preferential treatment from GT, while others started to get taken for granted. This didn't happen in KOTD, as Organik made 100% sure that both local and featured talent were just as happy. KOTD started to make a name for itself as being very professional, and Canada was becoming more attractive to battlers because of it. The scene was poppin in Canada. GT, on the other hand, started to suffer from infighting. URL, started by Smack, Cheeko and Beasley, became more and more popular with the hiphop magazine crowd, and a space for Lionz Den veterans. GT made the mistake of underestimating the impact the two leagues were having, as the heads couldn't decide on how to move forward.

More and more battlers flocked to KOTD for the quality of the product produced, the professionalism of how they were handled, and the overall scene in Canada. GT would go under, and KOTD would pull the ultimate G move by absorbing the Fresh Coast whole ^1. The most talented battlers, and pretty much epicenter of what made battle rap leagues in written format what it is today, was now a mere extension of what, as I described at the beginning, started out perceived as a joke. Credit to Organik for his vision, perseverance, and respect for the talent and the scene. Regardless of what you think about him (I myself have butted heads with him more than a few times), he raised the quality of what we watch by giving Avocado (the pioneer of HD sound and picture) free reign over production and allowing him to not have to worry about anything but doing his job. He provides, on a consistent basis, events with classics; free entertainment for the ever growing library that we can look back on in this little niche hobby we all share. He won't take credit for making people superstars, but without him and his league being what it is, most of our favorite GT talent would've vanished. Canada is a respected hip hop scene, instead of just being about Drake (lol maybe that''s a bad thing. JP) Favorites like Arsonal, Saurus, Dizaster, PH (RIP, brother), Hollohan, Illmac and Head ICE wouldn't be around to give us classics. Epic events like WD (talk about thinking outside of the box) and Blackout wouldn't break the monotony of plain old "this guy vs that one". 9 years on, and no sign of slowing down, KOTD with Organik at the helm continues to raise the bar, and extending their reach, now making regular classics in Massachusetts with the Boston Massacre. NYC is an inevitability at this point, but if the last 9 years have been any indication, it was always inevitable, we just didn't see it. Organik surely did, and he deserves all props for it. Shoutout to Gully and Bishop Brigante.

1-
Serge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #2
iamHBY

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Well said Serge.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #3
Stolos

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Stolos is not the worst person
Hip hop ain't dead

It lives in the North!!!
Stolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
I remember when the talk was when is GT going to Absorb KOTD and told people it wasnt going to happen

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
AVOCADO
VIP

Mentioned: 1161 Post(s)
AVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICEAVOCADO is NICE
you always been the man serge!

congrats to KOTD on consistency and doing this shit for 9 years! aint easy at all and they deserve all the props in the world for keeping it going!
AVOCADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:08 AM   #6
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
im gonna go watch an old chedda cheese battle now
ghettonetics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:18 AM   #7
Ice Cup
-

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ice Cup is not the worst person
Def well said. I dislike a lot of KOTD battlers, and I'd have to imagine the fans, but I've always respected Organik. Endlessly impressed by what he & by extension KOTD has accomplished.

Also respect for being a tradesman, battler, style icon and pushing it all forward.
Ice Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 AM   #8
Ice Cup
-

Ice Cup is not the worst person
Ice Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:21 AM   #9
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
I'm trying to remember what made me start to take KOTD seriously bcause i thought they were a joke in the beginning too. it was probably me thinking organik beat diz or pesci's performance vs dna
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
Serge T
Magitek Mayhem

Serge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Day View Post
I'm trying to remember what made me start to take KOTD seriously bcause i thought they were a joke in the beginning too. it was probably me thinking organik beat diz or pesci's performance vs dna
Ganik coming out to battle Diz was huge, especially from a networking standpoint.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
grandgroove

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Fantastic piece, Serge!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grandgroove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #12
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
this is really well written, also I remember from ye olde rapmusic.com - how close was Mac Lethal to buying GT? cos I remember him being initially angry about KOTD Fresh Coast

Last edited by Cuntoffs are Jumps; 08-10-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
Serge T
Magitek Mayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOCADO View Post
you always been the man serge!

congrats to KOTD on consistency and doing this shit for 9 years! aint easy at all and they deserve all the props in the world for keeping it going!
Ahhhh the man himself, without whom we'd still be watching grainy ass videos with clunky audio.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:16 AM   #14
Mave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mave is a PY Poster
I wish some of my favorites from old school KOTD were still active. Chedda Cheese, Jack Shitt (For real, where did he go?), Ubiquitous, FeelGood - RIP, and of course, Pesci. I remember being a Nat Select fan, that was weird.

What's funny is I was just watching Mischief vs Prodical Son and Prodical Son vs Skelly. They have def come a long way.

GT would still be here if it had the strong bond management and staff that KOTD has.
Mave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #15
Destro
Waxy Gordon

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Destro is not the worst person
Very well said, Serge.

On the topic of KOTD's longtime success, it's always been kinda funny to me that my first impression of Organik was totally opposite of his rep in the current scene. I didn't know who he was when I watched the 07 WRCs and I could only think "this Organik dude seems like a dick". He was always looking annoyed during battles, predicting opponents lines & acting like he was too good to be there. When I found out about KOTD starting, I didn't know what to think because Ganik came off as kinda a poor sport so I wasn't sure he'd be the right guy to run a league, but man was I wrong. I guess what I took as Organik being a dick was just him being super competitive, because I've never heard anyone have anything negative to say about their business dealings with him. Props to him & the whole KOTD staff for 9 years of kicking ass!
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote