Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Marketability of Battle Rap

Old 09-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1290 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Marketability of Battle Rap

Do you guys think battle rap will ever really be marketable without major supervision of the writing process? I have doubts that Twitch is going to like what battle rappers have to say

Even when it's not that offensive, we're ten times more offensive than most people they've banned from the platform previously

Just curious the vets opinions on it
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
I'd bet my foot that nobody could form a strong case for disagreement on that one

It'll just be a large-scale version of HFK v Charron on that news station
Feral Linguist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #3
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Honestly, I think the marketing of battle rap has peaked. Everyone knows what it is and if you think about the obvious success it has had starting with the DVDs (Blaze, Spin The Mic, Brainstorm) to BET 106th and Park, MTV Million Dollar Battle, 8 Mile and more recently Bodied, Drop The Mic, and now the URL and iBattle apps and KOTD starting a paid Twitch subscription, I don't see the ability to market it successfully past where it has been in the United States and Canada right now. I do see it globally in the UK and Australia and other places where there is more freedom allowed with marketing and content right now.

In the US we have the right to "free speech" but when it effects someone's advertising dollars or one person gets offended, it can derail very quickly.

If you think back to battle rap 10-15 years ago, battles were shorter in terms of the video times (5-10 minutes), way less complex rhyme schemes (appealed to a wider audience of new fans) and way more freedom of speech (content. Was it all acceptable? No. But you had the option to watch it if you want. Is all stand up comedy right? No, but freedom of speech as an artist should be similar).

With longer battles now, less tournaments, over saturation of battlers, less people able to travel in the pandemic and Youtube views down due to advertising and saturation I don't think battle rap can take the marketing or appeal to the next level unless they were able to find a platform that can satisfy the masses and with lots of people who were initial fans getting into their mid-late 30s to 40s, focusing on their families and careers and the saturation of the current state I just see it being a very difficult path for battle rap to get bigger than it currently is unless they shorten the battles, add stipulations and have a variety of performers (people of all different skill levels and diversity. Not a million Smack style rappers and not a million goofy jokers and definitely more women involved).

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #4
RonRon da Dong
Ronald R. McDongald

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
RonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I can't imagine Dizasters jew jokes going over well with the review board

I got 4 more bars hold on ..

then rap a whole 16
RonRon da Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #5
Profess
I am the Chef

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikForeman View Post
I have doubts that Twitch is going to like what battle rappers have to say
What are your doubts about Twitch?

I fell in a rabbit hole last night where I landed on Bronny James Twitch channel and there was a lot of questionable content.

SMX didn't seem filtered to me. Do you think it was?

In short, yes, because I think battle rap is already really marketable.

Lets find some numbers to prove that tho. How many people tuned in for SMX? And how many people watch a cable news program? If those 2 numbers are comparable then battle rap is marketable.

That said, if we're thinking in the old terms of when there where only 3 networks to choose from then it's not.

Listen to Rob Lowe discuss this on The JRE podcast. Basically, he's saying that the lowest rated show on primetime network tv in the 80's had more viewers than most of the top shows of today.

https://youtu.be/pw8dkF-jotk?t=1965
Profess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Profess
I am the Chef

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
@vokab206 I like your analysis here. It's well thought out. Do you advocate for the changes that you say would need to occur for marketability to increase?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:17 AM   #7
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
@vokab206 I like your analysis here. It's well thought out. Do you advocate for the changes that you say would need to occur for marketability to increase?
Honestly I don't because my voice and opinion is different from the owners of the bigger leagues. However if you follow the smaller leagues they do allow for more creativity and ideas as mentioned. The challenge is for the people who battle in it that it's a long road before you get to the stages where the few who have power in the top tell you what battle rap should be in their eyes.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 09-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #8
Profess
I am the Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokab206 View Post
Honestly I don't because my voice and opinion is different from the owners of the bigger leagues. However if you follow the smaller leagues they do allow for more creativity and ideas as mentioned. The challenge is for the people who battle in it that it's a long road before you get to the stages where the few who have power in the top tell you what battle rap should be in their eyes.
What are you goals with battle rap? I think I've seen you post about your 9-5 in a thread about how HR has changed I'm the last 5-10 years. So I figure this is a side hustle or hobby for you. My guess is that you are a purist. But I mean I have no idea. I'd be interested in where a purist would want to see battle rap go.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
Uza
VIP

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Uza is not the worst person
I think with battlers like Frak they can go a long way.
Uza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #10
Symphoniez

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Symphoniez is not the worst person
Interestingly enough I believe the biggest barrier to the growth of battle rap is the masses appetite for it, not the actual medium for which it is delivered.

I do feel as though we have already peaked - growth from here will be extremely difficult. The nuances (i.e. references to old battles within punches, understanding of rhyme schemes etc) makes it quite a challenging form of media to suddenly get into.
Smooth offense, high middle the news conference"

Last edited by Symphoniez; 09-21-2020 at 08:15 PM.
Symphoniez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #11
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 422 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Depends on the content really. Right now, battle rap has a lot of popularity but part of the reason for its popularity is that “anything goes”. I doubt caffeine or twitch will be cool with constant threats of violence and glorification of guns. Entertainment like that can only go so far imo.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will

Last edited by Abstrakt; 09-22-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #12
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uza View Post
I think with battlers like Frak they can go a long way.
I think frAk is wholesome and cerebral enough to get marketed. Somebody like disaster - not so much. Twitch got rid of dr disrespect for talking about conspiracy theorist David icke. I doubt twitch is a big fan of diz talking covid conspiracies.

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 09-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #13
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
What are you goals with battle rap? I think I've seen you post about your 9-5 in a thread about how HR has changed I'm the last 5-10 years. So I figure this is a side hustle or hobby for you. My guess is that you are a purist. But I mean I have no idea. I'd be interested in where a purist would want to see battle rap go.
My goal is to leave it in a better place than when I found it.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 09-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
Felicity Halsey
Certified vet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Felicity Halsey is not the worst person
The fanbase is Young it's probably still marketable but sorry that I can't give you a decisive answer
Old 09-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #15
CBA

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
Stopped following battle rap awhile ago but is it really feasible for a league to make money off of this? Saw Cassidy did a battle a year ago with Goodz and has had over 4 million views, but that youtube typically pays $2,000 per view.... so $8,000 and I know there's money at the live gate, but doesn't Cassidy ask for hundreds of thousands of dollars? lol. Seems like it would be a net loss and that's not even factoring in a lot of the other guy son the card would be asking for money too.

I know they do PPV's or whatever the equivalent of it now is, but most of battle rap's fan base are the type to use free streams. I was always under the impression a lot of the money for the entertainers is "donated" by people who really like battle rap but aren't expecting a return on the profit. Like I couldn't really envision a real corporate entity trying to pick the thing up and seeing how far they could go with it.

As for marketability and cancel culture, that's an obvious issue. I got to imagine it would just be weird for many of the battlers to suddenly have to accept that they get in trouble on some level for some of their content. Would probably stifle a lot of creativity.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #16
Water Mage

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Battle rap in its current form is not marketable at all.. It's socially awkward to even show it to another human who isn't already part of the "culture"..... I'm not talking about URL btw I don't have an opinion about the marketability of URL because I don't understand most of what they are saying, partially because I'm an outsider, and partially because I just can't be bothered to understand it

Actually, even recent KOTD battles I... Maybe only understand a fraction of what they are saying because I'm not up on all the references and the battles put me to sleep.. Every time I try to watch a KOTD battle I fall asleep and close it in less than 5 minutes

A bunch of dads in hats yelling at each other in language that most people find, at best, inaccessible and boring for minutes on end is not cool, engaging, exciting, entertaining, interesting at all, so no, it is not very marketable... Again, not talking about URL, since I know nothing about it

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-24-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #17
Emancee

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt View Post
I think frAk is wholesome and cerebral enough to get marketed. Somebody like disaster - not so much. Twitch got rid of dr disrespect for talking about conspiracy theorist David icke. I doubt twitch is a big fan of diz talking covid conspiracies.
Honestly I think the opposite. Dizaster is a great heel, Frak is the blandest of the bland. Battle rap will have to embrace its wrestling roots and have storylines and ridiculous plot twists to survive. Check out how Diz disrespecting and bullying Frak as brought this forum alive and got everyone talking about the KOTD competition. I bet a lot of them will tune in to next month's west battle even if just to moan about Diz getting through.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #18
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Honestly I think the opposite. Dizaster is a great heel, Frak is the blandest of the bland. Battle rap will have to embrace its wrestling roots and have storylines and ridiculous plot twists to survive. Check out how Diz disrespecting and bullying Frak as brought this forum alive and got everyone talking about the KOTD competition. I bet a lot of them will tune in to next month's west battle even if just to moan about Diz getting through.
FrAk is a weak, skinny battle nerd with wit. Diz is a muscle bound lunatic alpha male with wit. I think more people relate to frak... diz is already more popular than frak so that’s not what I’m talking about.

What I’m talking about is the material both have... Frank’s material is more marketable than Diz’s covid conspiracy BS. As in what material is corporation-friendly. That would be frak’s...

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Old 09-25-2020, 12:24 AM   #19
Water Mage

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Honestly Battle rap will have to embrace its wrestling roots and have storylines and ridiculous plot twists to survive.
^^

I've been saying exactly that for years... Since very few new fans and almost zero new talent are entering the top tier in any league, It's going to be interesting to watch battle rap try to survive.. Watching the balloon slowly deflate will probably be more interesting than battle rap itself
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:13 AM   #20
Profess
I am the Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
^^

I've been saying exactly that for years... Since very few new fans and almost zero new talent are entering the top tier in any league, It's going to be interesting to watch battle rap try to survive.. Watching the balloon slowly deflate will probably be more interesting than battle rap itself
If kotd pushes is the wrestling direction I hope they bring back Uno Lavos. I think he has the potential to be a great intercontinental champ
Old 09-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #21
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
If kotd pushes is the wrestling direction I hope they bring back Uno Lavos. I think he has the potential to be a great intercontinental champ
Uno did a battle in blackface and he was cancelled from the scene. He was booked for iBattle and No Coast this year but when the footage surfaced he was replaced.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 09-28-2020, 04:56 PM   #22
Profess
I am the Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokab206 View Post
Uno did a battle in blackface and he was cancelled from the scene. He was booked for iBattle and No Coast this year but when the footage surfaced he was replaced.
I didn't know about the blackface. That's a weird thing to do. Talk about an edgelord fail
Old 09-29-2020, 12:03 AM   #23
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
I didn't know about the blackface. That's a weird thing to do. Talk about an edgelord fail
https://rmbva.com/showthread.php?t=22546

Its discussion was a forum classic...
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Old 09-29-2020, 01:21 AM   #24
Profess
I am the Chef

Quote:
https://rmbva.com/showthread.php?t=22546

Its discussion was a forum classic...
Thanks for the link. I wonder where I was when that was going on. There is def some "caping" for kotd in that thread.

I think Uno's blackface is more corny than racist.. I view it similar to how I view Daylyt's slave angle vs Pat Stay
Old 09-29-2020, 06:38 AM   #25
Emancee

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I wonder where I was when that was going on. There is def some "caping" for kotd in that thread.

I think Uno's blackface is more corny than racist.. I view it similar to how I view Daylyt's slave angle vs Pat Stay
Honestly, there was a lot of that at the time. Uno Lavoz' 'blackface' was more a case of his utter ignorance than willful malevolence. But with Uno's history of shit talking, it's not surprising that he became too embarrassing to jump in front of the freight train of rage for.

Daylyt's slave angle was just badly thought through and actually ended up trivializing the very issue that, I presume, he was trying to bring people's attention to. Dumb, but for different reasons.

Both definitely had 'let's shock these whiteboys' as their main motivation though.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #26
Profess
I am the Chef

Quote:
Honestly, there was a lot of that at the time. Uno Lavoz' 'blackface' was more a case of his utter ignorance than willful malevolence. But with Uno's history of shit talking, it's not surprising that he became too embarrassing to jump in front of the freight train of rage for.

Daylyt's slave angle was just badly thought through and actually ended up trivializing the very issue that, I presume, he was trying to bring people's attention to. Dumb, but for different reasons.

Both definitely had 'let's shock these whiteboys' as their main motivation though.
Even though Tony Soprano claims that 'remember when' conversations are the lowest form of conversation.. I'll throw caution to the wind and bring up the time I got roasted here for being excited about Uno and Daylyt battling each other a few years back on an off-brand league if I recall correctly.. the battle might have been cancelled or rescheduled... Idk but I'm going to check. I'm sure it's a shitshow if it exists

Last edited by Profess; 09-29-2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Link
Old 09-30-2020, 02:03 AM   #27
Emancee

Quote:
Even though Tony Soprano claims that 'remember when' conversations are the lowest form of conversation.. I'll throw caution to the wind and bring up the time I got roasted here for being excited about Uno and Daylyt battling each other a few years back on an off-brand league if I recall correctly.. the battle might have been cancelled or rescheduled... Idk but I'm going to check. I'm sure it's a shitshow if it exists

http://youtu.be/Fc9artK9XV0
Yeah, I skipped through it to refresh my memory and it's a shit show with occasional decent bars. I forgot about the bucket antic, definitely an all-time low for battle rap when one of the rappers starts busking in the middle of the battle, doh! The wrestling slam on Lush was random as hell.

Also Uno bringing that Avo-style racism in the first round with that knock knock joke.

Last edited by Emancee; 09-30-2020 at 02:09 AM.

Tags
8217, 8220, 8221