Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Difference Between Metaphors, Wordplay, Punchlines, and Double Entendres

Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #121
JustJ123

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
JustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Learn to express your opinions in less retarded ways if you don't want people getting the wires crossed.

I gotta assume that 14 in your name is symbolic of your age if you only like double entendres that relate to sex...
Old 05-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #122
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Clarke KillingSouls is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco14 View Post
I'm just gonna go ahead and put both of you on ignore so you don't lower my IQ any more than you already have
I would love to see your IQ scores forreal.
Clarke KillingSouls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #123
bobbylight

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
bobbylight is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.V.L. View Post
A metaphor is a figure of speech that describes a subject by asserting that it is, on some point of comparison, the same as another otherwise unrelated object. Metaphor is a type of analogy and is closely related to other rhetorical figures of speech that achieve their effects via association, comparison or resemblance including allegory, hyperbole, and simile.

All of your examples compare one thing to an unrelated subject except your metaphor example. That is a just a simlie.
a similie is a type of metaphor that uses like or as...or at least that is what I learned in like 7th grade.
bobbylight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #124
J.V.L.
Banned

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
J.V.L. is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post
a similie is a type of metaphor that uses like or as...or at least that is what I learned in like 7th grade.

I misread it as "more arrogant than Kanye West" which is later posted in this thread. I didnt feel like going back and editing this post but thanks for noticing.
J.V.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #125
Dark Magic

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Dark Magic is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler09 View Post
I think he got that.

Now what is the 'double meaning' ? How does someone not settle down while dumping ratchets ? Get it ?
he is not settling down aka being calm because he is shooting guns and trying to kill someone

he is not settling down aka staying with one girl because he is constantly dumping hoes

Did I really need to explain this?

NO wonder I had u on ignore

Dark Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:40 PM   #126
ckret306
out to lunch

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
ckret306 is a PY Poster
double entendre said by jpro
"i'll sock em up, cholo fashion"
not sexual
has multiple meanings
first cholos wear short pants with pulled up socks
lets go socks means lets fight when said in spanish...
no sexual inuendo still a double entendre.
metaphors are essentially comparisons edit: not using like or as.
similies are comparissons using like or as.
metaphors and double entendres can consist of wordplay and be a punchline

Last edited by ckret306; 05-13-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: didnt finish typing beforw i hit post
ckret306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #127
Battler09
Banned

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Battler09 is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Magic View Post
he is not settling down aka being calm because he is shooting guns and trying to kill someone

he is not settling down aka staying with one girl because he is constantly dumping hoes

Did I really need to explain this?

NO wonder I had u on ignore

I'm not trying to settle down when im dumping ratchets

So he is not trying to calm down because he is shooting. How does that make any sense dipshit ? It's forced. 'Trying not to' is implying something else is 'trying to' force him to calm down. What is that 'force' ?

Besides, just because someone is dumping ratchets doesn't have to mean the person is automatically settling down. The concept is understood but the execution is poorly constructed.

This is the typical dumbed down bullshit that people fall in love with. There is no reason in trying not to settle down when it comes to shooting guns. Put me right back on ignore because biological mistakes like you don't grasp any thing any way.
Battler09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #128
VAallDAY

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
VAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
I'm not trying to settle down when im dumping ratchets

So he is not trying to calm down because he is shooting. How does that make any sense dipshit ? It's forced. 'Trying not to' is implying something else is 'trying to' force him to calm down. What is that 'force' ?

Besides, just because someone is dumping ratchets doesn't have to mean the person is automatically settling down. The concept is understood but the execution is poorly constructed.

This is the typical dumbed down bullshit that people fall in love with. There is no reason in trying not to settle down when it comes to shooting guns. Put me right back on ignore because biological mistakes like you don't grasp any thing any way.
lmaooo this is how u can tell this fool isnt from the streets

u never heard phrases like

"yo lets go to mickey ds"
"naw im not tryin to eat right now"

"yo lets bounce"
"naw im drunk im not tryin to drive"

fucking battle nerds
VAallDAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #129
Battler09
Banned

Battler09 is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAallDAY View Post
lmaooo this is how u can tell this fool isnt from the streets

u never heard phrases like

"yo lets go to mickey ds"
"naw im not tryin to eat right now"

"yo lets bounce"
"naw im drunk im not tryin to drive"

fucking battle nerds
You are funny. It's not about the lingo but the context you wannabe street life piece of shit.

What kind of fucking gangster or real nigga from the streets would say he is not trying to settle down while spraying them clips, or clappin dem thangs ?? Nobody from the streets would say shit like that.

Oh wait - you are trying to justify it because he added 'when I'm dumping the ratchets'. My bad, what a pure fucking genius execution.

It's just dumb. On top of that your phrases sound like some example sentences straight from a 'Spade for Dummies book'.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #130
brodeezy

Mentioned: 629 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
this thread is so fucking gay lmfao

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #131
thetechnoir

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
thetechnoir is not the worst person
honestly didnt look at the thread but i saw the subject and wanted to add. maybe a sticky should be made for people new to battling and/or rap in general explaining stuff like this and even multis, etc.
thetechnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #132
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco14 View Post
There is no double meaning there and even though it doesnt HAVE to be dirty or sexual.. to be a good double entendre.. it does HAVE to be sexual or dirty.. JS...
what? why?

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. qleen
5. magic
Abstrakt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #133
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnoir View Post
honestly didnt look at the thread but i saw the subject and wanted to add. maybe a sticky should be made for people new to battling and/or rap in general explaining stuff like this and even multis, etc.
yes, but this thread has some misinformation going around... can we get @ekelon to send some paypal $ to an english major to post a well-thought-out thread on this subject yes i know this is a runon sentence fuck you

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. qleen
5. magic
Old 05-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #134
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetechnoir View Post
Thanks.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #135
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

Quote:
You are funny. It's not about the lingo but the context you wannabe street life piece of shit.

What kind of fucking gangster or real nigga from the streets would say he is not trying to settle down while spraying them clips, or clappin dem thangs ?? Nobody from the streets would say shit like that.

Oh wait - you are trying to justify it because he added 'when I'm dumping the ratchets'. My bad, what a pure fucking genius execution.

It's just dumb. On top of that your phrases sound like some example sentences straight from a 'Spade for Dummies book'.
Very true!
Old 05-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #136
Throwback Mike
I'M NOT PAT STAY

Mentioned: 806 Post(s)
Throwback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

It's not about whether or not someone would use that exact phrase outside of a battle, but whether or not it's a true double entendre. If you understand how the phrase "tryin' to" is being used (which I don't think you did in the first place), it's clear to see that the double meaning is there. It's not difficult to grasp. You can argue about whether or not it's a good double entendre by your standards, but it does have a clear double meaning objectively.

As for whether or not any "fucking gangster" (or anyone else for that matter) really says "I'm dumpin' ratchets!" while they're shooting at people, I don't see why it matters. Do you really expect lyrics to sound like ordinary conversation? That's not the point. People don't rhyme when they talk either. In battle rap, there are poetic devices being employed that aren't intended to sound like ordinary speech. That's the whole idea.
Throwback Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #137
VAallDAY

VAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaVAallDAY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

sheesh this kid is angry

i guarantee u this kid has never stepped foot in the hood a day in his life

why are u so angry my man? is it because ur obsessed with a culture that u will never truly be able to relate to?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #138
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

Its still a gun-bar punchline.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #139
VAallDAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke KillingSouls View Post
that it is...

but it is ALSO a double entendre...
Old 05-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #140
brownzvill19

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
brownzvill19 is not the worst person
Dope topic
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #141
Throwback Mike
I'M NOT PAT STAY

Throwback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThrowback Mike is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
And also a double entendre. These categories aren't mutually exclusive. A huge percentage of double entendres and metaphors and wordplay in battle rap involve some sort of gun reference.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #142
Throwback Mike
I'M NOT PAT STAY

Is this why people don't "get" gun bars?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #143
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

You probably interpreted it as a double but its not.

It doesnt make sense, because if B. Magic flipped what he said "When Im dumping the ratchets, Im not tryna settle down", it still wouldnt be a double.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #144
drones

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
drones is a PY Poster
lmao.

settle down doesn't need to be a double meaning. you could argue that it could be interpreted in two different ways, sure, but there's nothing else in the line to back the 'calm down' interpretation. it's a double entendre because of dumping ratchets meaning two different things both of which are implied in the line.
drones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #145
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

Just sounds forced though.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #146
drones

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
drones is a PY Poster
no, it's not. at all.
drones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #147
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwback Mike View Post
And also a double entendre. These categories aren't mutually exclusive. A huge percentage of double entendres and metaphors and wordplay in battle rap involve some sort of gun reference.
people really need to read the boltalicized part

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. qleen
5. magic
Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #148
VAallDAY

Quote:
Just sounds forced though.
"i know im wrong but i will never admit it!!!!!!!!!!"

Old 05-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #149
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

^are you willy? dont lie

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. qleen
5. magic
Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #150
VAallDAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCadet View Post
^are you willy? dont lie
nope, last i checked willy was not from VA
Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #151
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAallDAY View Post
"i know im wrong but i will never admit it!!!!!!!!!!"

No. Its forced. I wasnt wrong.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #152
Throwback Mike
I'M NOT PAT STAY

I love threads like this. It's bizarre to see people who are so obviously wrong continue to argue the same basic point for pages. It's okay to say: "I missed that double meaning at first, but it makes sense now--even if I don't think it's very impressive." This isn't some subjective debate where each person has his own personal preference and can attempt to sway others by continuing the argument. When you're objectively wrong, it doesn't help to keep going at it. Once the double meaning is demonstrated (which happened a long time ago), it's a double entendre--whether you personally feel it's a good one or not.

Of course, now the discussion's been cleverly shifted to whether it's "forced" or not. I guess there's a little more room for subjectivity there, but if you know what the words "dumping" and "ratchets" mean in both contexts, I don't see what's being forced. It's very straightforward.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #153
Clarke KillingSouls
Banned

Quote:
I love threads like this. It's bizarre to see people who are so obviously wrong continue to argue the same basic point for pages. It's okay to say: "I missed that double meaning at first, but it makes sense now--even if I don't think it's very impressive." This isn't some subjective debate where each person has his own personal preference and can attempt to sway others by continuing the argument. When you're objectively wrong, it doesn't help to keep going at it. Once the double meaning is demonstrated (which happened a long time ago), it's a double entendre--whether you personally feel it's a good one or not.

Of course, now the discussion's been cleverly shifted to whether it's "forced" or not. I guess there's a little more room for subjectivity there, but if you know what the words "dumping" and "ratchets" mean in both contexts, I don't see what's being forced. It's very straightforward.
Settle down is forced. But whateve.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #154
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

"see the jungle i was raised in it
HOUSED and made in it
now my house got a maid in it"
-I like Yung Ill's wordplay; simple but he (used to) put(s) words together nicely

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. hollow
4. qleen
5. magic
Old 05-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #155
Dynamo Dan
D-D-D-D-Dan namsayin'?

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Dynamo Dan is not the worst person
Most ratchets bars aren't that great to me but still double entendres none the less. Big ratchet squeezing out the window like Rasputia probably the best & it still isn't something I went crazy over.

wrap your head around that!!!
Dynamo Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #156
Battler09
Banned

Battler09 is a PY Poster
Quote:
It's not about whether or not someone would use that exact phrase outside of a battle, but whether or not it's a true double entendre. If you understand how the phrase "tryin' to" is being used (which I don't think you did in the first place), it's clear to see that the double meaning is there. It's not difficult to grasp. You can argue about whether or not it's a good double entendre by your standards, but it does have a clear double meaning objectively.

As for whether or not any "fucking gangster" (or anyone else for that matter) really says "I'm dumpin' ratchets!" while they're shooting at people, I don't see why it matters. Do you really expect lyrics to sound like ordinary conversation? That's not the point. People don't rhyme when they talk either. In battle rap, there are poetic devices being employed that aren't intended to sound like ordinary speech. That's the whole idea.
It amazes me how you talk about being objective and at the same time you focus on 'dumping ratchets'. I joined the discussion but never claimed it wasn't a double entendre. It's just poorly constructed and therefore doesn't really make sense when you think about it.

I wrote that a fucking gangster would never say: I'm not trying to settle down when I'm dumping ratchets

Again, it's not about the lingo but the context that it's used with. I bet you wouldn't defend 100 Bulletz like this who at least does this stuff more complex.

It works brilliantly when you are talking about relationships, but when it comes to the 'actual meaning' of not trying to calm down while shooting then it just doesn't really make sense. That's not subjective but a pure objective observation and fact.

Here my subjective opinion:

Anybody who hypes crap like that up is ignorant.

Last edited by Battler09; 05-13-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #157
jaysmith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
jaysmith is a PY Poster
battle rap is going to die out because of this massive wave of punchliners, double ents, and wordplay battlers that think theyre creative when in fact every other battler does the same shit. no one wants to see u be "creative" in a battle... no one wanna see u spit some smart poetry shit the thing that made battle rap popular is the real raw shit that u spit and hurt ur opponents soul. not this wordplay bull shit.

not only that but they lack the ability to use metaphors that forces u to actually have a setup. metaphors are like the advanced "punchlines" where as "punchlines" ie b magic have no set up at all to their punch. their punch ends up being irrelevant. thats why he got bodied 3-0 by real
jaysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #158
Throwback Mike
I'M NOT PAT STAY

Quote:
It amazes me how you talk about being objective and at the same time you focus on 'dumping ratchets'. I joined the discussion but never claimed it wasn't a double entendre. It's just poorly constructed and therefore doesn't really make sense when you think about it.

I wrote that a fucking gangster would never say: I'm not trying to settle down when I'm dumping ratchets

Again, it's not about the lingo but the context that it used with it. I bet you wouldn't defend 100 Bulletz like this who at least does this stuff more complex.

It works brilliantly when you are talking about relationships, but when it comes to the 'actual meaning' of not trying to calm down while shooting then it just doesn't really make sense. That's not subjective but a pure objective observation and fact.

Here my subjective opinion:

Anybody who hypes crap like that up is ignorant.
Just replace "I'm dumping ratchets!" with "I'm not tryna settle down!" in my original post and the point is still perfectly valid--regardless of which aspect of the B Magic quote you personally took issue with. Lyrics are not meant to sound like things people would say in normal conversation. So, I thought you were grasping at straws with that argument.

Also, I'm not talking about being objective as some personal attribute. It has nothing to do with whether or not I'm a fair person. I'm talking about objectivity in the sense that something's either a double entendre or it's not. The objective aspect is: Does it have two separate meanings? If the answer is yes, it's a double entendre. This means that it's not subjective.

Also, I'm not hyping anything up. I thought it was an amusing bar when Magic spit it, but it's not the greatest line ever written. And I don't think it was ever intended to be. I'm not defending B Magic personally or anything like that either. That's not the issue here. I'd make the same points about the bar if it was something Bulletz said. He's been kinda wack in recent battles, but I like 100 Bulletz actually.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:52 AM   #159
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Mentioned: 644 Post(s)
Blanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICE
Quote:
Wrong.

It's usually indecent/offensive. It was and is used as a way to get away with 'politically incorrect opinions'. That might often be sexual, but it doesn't have to be, nor was it merely therefore created.

Hm, I'm wondering if you know what a mirror is.
I'm tired not arguing with you idiots...
Google it...
Literally first definition is two means with one USUALLY SEXUAL.......
god damn fucking morons refuse to be wrong..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I don't have girls in my bed. I don't bring anyone to my house
Blanco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:53 AM   #160
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Mentioned: 644 Post(s)
Blanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICE
Quote:
I would love to see your IQ scores forreal.
Well I did make a 1760 on my sat.. Not the best but well above average..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I don't have girls in my bed. I don't bring anyone to my house
Blanco14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8217, threadbodybagged