Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
VICE short film: "DO BRITS GET HIP-HOP?"

Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
rocky
Contributor

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
rocky is not the worst person
VICE short film: "DO BRITS GET HIP-HOP?"

What do the UK posters think about Clive's portrayal of the hiphop scene there? He seems jaded and a bit negative about the scene there, and i hear some UK posters reiterate these feelings with some of their posts. Was curious what the hiphop culture is like even beyond the borders of just battling over there.

Carter Deems>>>>>>

Last edited by SpecialOh; 02-27-2014 at 05:11 AM.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
ukallday
We FUCK THAT

Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
ukallday is better than Grind Time Australiaukallday is better than Grind Time Australia
I cant really understand what the point of this video was, he just went to a random club's hip hop night and said "yeah these guys are having a good time" like that is a surprise.

He didnt really seem to know much about anything to do with hip hop tbh.
ukallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:44 AM   #3
bobbylight

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
bobbylight is not the worst person
I actually like a lot of british rappers.

bobbylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
JustJ123

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
JustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJustJ123 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Man I haven't heard that track in a minute.

Skinnyman been dope.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 AM   #5
Rainhands

Rainhands is a PY Poster
This guy is a dumbass. Why did he attend a night club in Bristol to see if people understand hip hop culture?

Of course if you go to a city with hardly any black people, in a middle class area at a student union party, this is what it's gonna look like. Go to a similar place in America and you would see the same thing.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:00 AM   #6
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Mentioned: 500 Post(s)
JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I don't know how true it holds about the UK hip hop scene in general but I can see his point.
JOBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
Rainhands

Rainhands is a PY Poster
There are a lot of good UK rappers, but Cerose is one of my favorites. He's got a smooth style.

Last edited by Rainhands; 02-26-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Rainhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 AM   #8
bobbylight

I like lowkey a lot too...

And this shit is dope tooo...

"I'm a sicko in the mist with a zippo and a spliff...." Soooooooo dope.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:07 AM   #9
Rainhands

Rainhands is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post
I like lowkey a lot too...
Lowkey don't even rap anymore. Post current artists.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:11 AM   #10
bobbylight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainhands View Post
Lowkey don't even rap anymore. Post current artists.
lol, I haven't listened to british rap since like 2006.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 AM   #11
Rainhands

Rainhands is a PY Poster
Quote:
lol, I haven't listened to british rap since like 2006.
That's cool. Lowkey was like a Kendrick Lamar for people before Kendrick came around. We don't have anyone on our scene like that anymore.

Side; If you haven't listened to British rap since '06 then click on the links I posted.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 AM   #12
Gggyea

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Gggyea is not the worst person
do UK cats rock wit SAS???i used to fuck wit em pretty heavy a few years ago. was i just being caught up in american marketing or did the brits fuck wit em too? also, are they still popular?
Gggyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 AM   #13
Rainhands

Rainhands is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
do UK cats rock wit SAS???i used to fuck wit em pretty heavy a few years ago. was i just being caught up in american marketing or did the brits fuck wit em too? also, are they still popular?
I was only in school when they were killing the scene in America so I can't tell you about their wider percerption. They were less known in the UK than America, in fact I am not entirely sure if they started their music career over there. That could be a reason. They seemed to rap with a pseudo American accent, and a lot of people were not feeling it/couldn't relate. It was not until I saw a recent interview of them that I found out they spent a few years in High School in America and doing street shit in New York.

They are still on the scene and make music. But to be honest nobody is really into their music here. Any acknowledgement they have is merely lip service.

I think they have a much bigger following in wider Europe however, and always seem to be touring out there and in Scandanavia.

I like this song, it just makes you feel good.

And here is a funny vid from a few years back where Juelz Santana failed to strong arm the sas and ended up looking stupid.

Last edited by Rainhands; 02-26-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Rainhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:07 AM   #14
Gggyea

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Gggyea is not the worst person
LOL WORD i new that they kicked juelz out of the country a while ago. and DUDE!!!! I HEARD THAT SONG and for yeaaars i been tryin to remember the hook and thats totally it!!! that was on of my fav songs by them dudes!!! .+ rep for giving me a piece of my younger days back. ur the man

GOOD FUCKIN LOOK HOMIE
Gggyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:15 AM   #15
3xthoroughb
Crakk Nicholson

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
3xthoroughb is not the worst person
only good shit in here is that piano man beat

this album the only hip hop from the uk i still listen to really

http://crakknicholson.com/
3xthoroughb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #16
ukallday
We FUCK THAT

Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
ukallday is better than Grind Time Australiaukallday is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainhands View Post
I was only in school when they were killing the scene in America so I can't tell you about their wider percerption. They were less known in the UK than America, in fact I am not entirely sure if they started their music career over there. That could be a reason. They seemed to rap with a pseudo American accent, and a lot of people were not feeling it/couldn't relate. It was not until I saw a recent interview of them that I found out they spent a few years in High School in America and doing street shit in New York.

They are still on the scene and make music. But to be honest nobody is really into their music here. Any acknowledgement they have is merely lip service.

I think they have a much bigger following in wider Europe however, and always seem to be touring out there and in Scandanavia.

I like this song, it just makes you feel good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6XbadJ2TjQ

And here is a funny vid from a few years back where Juelz Santana failed to strong arm the sas and ended up looking stupid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u5Qu5BwYPE
S.A.S had some good tracks, I think the accent thing held them back doubly. The UKHH crowd seemed to be put off by the fact they sounded like yanks and across the pond they didnt seem to fuck with them that much because they were brits. I didnt see much from them after the situation with Juelz, I remember they had a little beef with Rhymefest aswell cause he had a problem with them sounding american.

ukallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #17
Dank Schrader
Something whitty

Mentioned: 957 Post(s)
Dank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICEDank Schrader is NICE
since this has turned into a post your fav brit shit, here we go....

this kid should be massive but seems very unappreciated

MY WINRAR ISN'T LICENSED
Dank Schrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #18
John Nada

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
John Nada is not the worst person
You guys should check out M9. I would say he's one of the best rappers in the UK:

Last edited by John Nada; 02-26-2014 at 10:53 AM.
John Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #19
J.V.L.
Banned

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
J.V.L. is not the worst person
WTF is all this crap? British Hip Hop is dope. It's called Grime.
J.V.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
Wake
antilluminati

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Wake is not the worst person
Uk hip-hop scene used to be a bit split, with a small gray zone in the middle. Majorly white backpack boombap with emphasis on intelligent or sharp lyrics, and the majorly black US inspired trap/commercialsounding beats and bragging street lyrics. Then there's grimeinspiration, rnb, etc. Luckily it's been crossing over more and more over the last years, Uk scene is rich and has loads of great music. Love it.
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
Wake
antilluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.V.L. View Post
WTF is all this crap? British Hip Hop is dope. It's called Grime.
Grime is actually grime. UK hip-hop can be inspired sometimes but there's a separation in genre.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #23
Wake
antilluminati

Nice track, bonus

Old 02-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #24
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
British hip hop is great because it's still hip hop but it's far enough away from the states that they have there own style and vibe.

Plus like Canada I feel it's still more underground than in the US>
MrMumbles905 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #25
igotmy9milli

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
igotmy9milli is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake View Post
Nice track, bonus
Cas is dope.

Keep the gun cock, represent one block 139 nigga, the Danger Zone. We quick to put a bullet in a stranger's dome.

Ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead.

Last edited by igotmy9milli; 02-26-2014 at 03:55 PM.
igotmy9milli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #26
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Jehst and Klashnekoff were dope back in the day.

I used to listen to a guy called Jae Genius throughout 2006/2007.

Rhyme Asylum had a good run a few years ago.

I only properly listen to US Hip-Hop, but there is a lot of good electro, house, and drum n bass music in England at the moment. I'm not knowledgeable about those genres though.

Last edited by My Kall; 02-26-2014 at 07:17 PM.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #27
Osa
VIP

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Osa is a PY Poster
disappointing choice in host/interviewer. obviously showed up just to talk shit. his criticisms reek of privilege and unnecessary sarcasm.

i bump a bunch of british rappers: jehst, roots manuva, k. koke, shotty horroh, sonnyjim, verb t, sway, giggs...

i really like sonnyjim. maybe its a racial bias, but homie always goes in.

back when ninja tune/big dada were popping i used to fuck with that 'black whole styles' compilation record a lot.
Osa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #28
Tom HAAANHKS
Ima let the glock squirt

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tom HAAANHKS is not the worst person
I listen to a lot of shit from the UK and have for years. Waay before I got into battling. Pretty much stumbled upon an R.A The Rugged Man song featuring Stig of the Dump and just went from there. Looking up stig led me to jumpoff as well. Lee Scott is probably my fav from over there but I like all of COTD. Used to listen to a lot of Foreign Beggars. Also Sonnyjim always consistently puts out good shit and of course I have to mention Rhyme Asylum. Possessed is a monster. They have some good shit over there.
Tom HAAANHKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #29
erfworm

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
erfworm is not the worst person
Where people go wrong is taking Clives videos seriously, they are a tongue in cheek look and designed to take the piss, look at his other videos. Or just take this beatbox sideways hat kid talking about 'these people just aint real hip hop'. Bristol does have a big hip hop scene though, and a big music culture in general, especially Reggae/Jungle etc having a fairly large Jamaican population. As somebody already said though, the hip hop fans there are mainly the mega white middle class students who listen to the 'blunts and chemtrails' type shit, these will mainly be the people who a few years ago were the emos and scene kids moving onto High Focus. And yes Grime is a seperate thing, although nowadays it has sort of merged into this new trap scene where the main aim is to brag about how much crack and heroin you sell and your gucci garms. London, being the capital, has a bit of everything with other cities like Birmingham being mainly Grime focused.

Big up the guy who posted Triple Darkness though
erfworm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #30
larry word
have no constraints

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
larry word is not the worst person
these brits got hip hop
Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #31
VonKaiser

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
VonKaiser is not the worst person
Agree that these are suppose to be tongue in cheek. Didn't the same guy do a similar review of the UK drum and bass scene? Pretty sure it's all jokes for the most part.
VonKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #32
erfworm

Vice would have purposely picked that club night because its pathetic. I mean, how you going to have these wetters popping n shit? Any other club and they'd be the people getting their pockets emptied when they go to the toilet.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #33
Im Technical

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Im Technical is not the worst person
Ive never seen something so wack from vice. They clearly went to a student night in a middle class area to try and prove thier point, well i assume they had a point, i turned that trash off after hearing the commentators accent, no one that pretentious should be taken seriously about hip hop.

Im a big hip hop fan but i dont regularly bump anything from the uk. Ukhh has some dope shit but its not very good overall because most hood people do grime in the uk, proper grime nights arent good for your health. Shit gets mad hype, when i was growing up certain tunes used to get banned from clubs because it would just turn into brawls/everyone throwing bottles every time lol.

Rhyme asylum, M9, skinnyman, klashnekoff/terra firma, lowkey, logic, genesis elijah etc are the kind of people worth checking out if your interested though. Giggs will probably appeal to americans since hes ghetto as fuck and has nice beats but i dont really count him as a hip hop artist.

Possessed from the wrc's and skirmish, the mixed race guy who offered diz a 1 on 1 after the 5bw are both in rhyme asylum. They are dope as fuck, some of the only people who could hang with good americans imo. Anyone know what the 2nd beat is? it goes hard.

Klashnekoff and terrafirma were dope aswell, murda is probably my favourite uk hip hop track.

chatting to pandora about boxing a man for her>>>>>>>>>>

All the uk rappers on here are pretty good.

This is lowkey showing how easy it is for a real spitter to do grime, the beat knocks though

Some deep shit from lowkey and logic

Talking the hardest>
Im Technical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #34
Minimal Aspiration

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Minimal Aspiration is a PY Poster
Big Night Out is one of the funniest series on Youtube, they are all worth watching. It's very much a satirical look at different sub-cultures in the UK.

Clive Martin's one of the most consistently interesting writers in the UK at the moment.
Minimal Aspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 PM   #35
erfworm

Yeah Clive Martin gives me joke everytime. If you think hes a pretentious dickhead then you are taking it too seriously.

Lowkey was alright at one point but we dont want to hear 50 tracks about Palestinian injustices.

Cant be picking Giggs as an example either, hes an embarrassment. The only reason he got any success was because he was an actual ghetto dude.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #36
Im Technical

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
Yeah Clive Martin gives me joke everytime. If you think hes a pretentious dickhead then you are taking it too seriously.

Lowkey was alright at one point but we dont want to hear 50 tracks about Palestinian injustices.

Cant be picking Giggs as an example either, hes an embarrassment. The only reason he got any success was because he was an actual ghetto dude.
Giggs uses the same formula as most mainstream american rappers, thats why i included him. Hes got some hard tracks though.

Idris elba driving giggs around>
Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #37
bobbylight

What is grime?
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #38
Im Technical

Quote:
What is grime?
Hype beats and average lyrics on the whole. Its an expansion of garage(you probably dont know garage either lol) you cant really explain grime, you just have to listen to it. Grime is why theres not many black people in dont flop.

This is what shit like jump off was getting passed up for. This clash is at 1.7mil hits....

Last edited by Im Technical; 02-26-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #39
erfworm

This is where Grime started out, coming from the UK Garage scene

Then as it got bigger had some success with more mainstream styles but a lot of it was really underground and centered more around sets/ciphers.

Now you have this Grime/Trap merge type of style which Grime has changed into, mostly in London.

but then you also have the more original Grime styles which id say, are mostly outside of London.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #40
erfworm

+1 on everything Im Technical posted too.

Also, cant forget North Weeezzzaaaayy

Tags