Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Mythbuster: "All PG's Sound The Same"

Old 12-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #1
mulatto mutant

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
mulatto mutant is not the worst person
Mythbuster: "All PG's Sound The Same"

I've been meaning to do something like this for a while but didn't know how to start, and I was watching a Chris Unbias blog and it gave me the idea for this one. So, let's get into it.

btw, tl;dr at the bottom for those who can't bother to read the explanation

I think that I can safely ignore the first two PG classes (the B Magic class and the Bigg K class) because those classes came and went without this mantra being toted around; however, if someone needs me to explain how Bill Collector sounds different from Qleen Paper, I can do that, lol.

When URL brought out their first PG class that was intended directly to counter the vets, the fans pushed back, calling the new battlers "clones" and "reachers," saying that they had no personality and weren't creating exciting battles. To some extent, this was fair; the original URL battlers used youtube, facebook, twitter, and other social media to excite and engage the fans, and created interesting grudges in very short periods of time with a variety of personality and charm that created wrestling-esque personas. So, if the question is in whether Illanoiz, Jay Rell, and Sno managed to create buzz by doing anything other than battling, we know that's not fair.

But can we call them clones?

Jay Rell, to list a name I mentioned above, could be compared to Calicoe - sure. But note his location. Being from the Detroit/Pontiac area, he has a style of talking to the opponent and mocking them through his own persona that avoids complex wordplay or similes... that's just the Detroit style. Marvwon, Quest McCody, Ill Will, and Qleen all do variations on this style, but we don't call them all clones of X Factor, do we?

"But they all punched and moved the same way, and did shitty reaches and weren't good!" Ty Law raps like other battlers in his class? GE has the mannerisms of some as yet unnamed vet battler? Steams comes off like ANYONE who's come before him?

Now, let me be clear - this isn't me making the case for any particular PG tested battler being "good" or "worth watching." I'm also not saying that the claim of "all PG's being clones" came out of nowhere. It has a basis, and we can somewhat relate Steams to it, among others.

As a lot of seasoned fans will be able to guess, the "PG style" referenced by people who hate any new URL battler comes from the WeGoHard/Traphouse class of battlers - Brooklyn Carter, Prez Mafia, Steams, Mr Wavy(to a lesser extent), etc. Do they have similar mannerisms? Yes, obviously. They come from a particular league/location, and it's very obvious that battlers who come from a location tend to sound similar. Think of Detroit battlers and what I mentioned above, or Cali battlers with the heavy lyricism, or New York battlers popularizing the 4 bar setup punch style, or St Louis utilizing heavy rapping ability and swag.

Okay, so a lot of people who came from a particular league all went to URL at the same time and started a stigma, despite there actually being a decent amount of variation between them - Anubis, Logic, Danny Myers, and Ah Di Boom all rap differently from each other, and anyone who's heard those 4 rap and immediately notice the lack of similarity between them. Why did the stigma continue with the next class?

People said Dot, Prep, and Chess were essentially the same person. I don't think anyone feels that way anymore; Chess uses unorthodox setups to lead to crazy punches, Prep does a very standard punch style with a flair for dramatic and freestyle rebuttals, and Dot animatedly stomps around stage to great effect of the live crowd, without having necessarily dense or coherent material.

Young X, Brizz, T Top, Saga, Cityy Towers, and Xcel all came from that same class. None of them sound like the others, but yet still it wasn't enough.

This is getting long, so I'll wrap it up:

Every year, a couple battlers in any particular PG class (between 3-5, roughly) all came from some particular league or other, be it WeGoHard or Traphouse or SpitDatHeat. The similarities that come from battlers being all from a single location mixed in with the fact that new battlers tend not to do much self promotion outside their literal battles led fans to make aggressive assumptions about their skillset and diversity that pervade year after year. The fact is, in the past couple years we've seen rise to what is probably a dozen new styles of battling from the PG classes' inspiration. They don't sound the same. We do, for not being able to let go of our biases.

btw, punching more is not a style, it's simply a way to appease a crowd of several hundred people; it's also not a new thing lol just look at old grindtime videos if u dont think people got to the punch quickly back in the day
03) Tsu Surf
04) Calicoe
05) B Magic
06) Illmaculate
07) Aye Verb
08) Iron Solomon
09) Tay Roc
10) Fresco
mulatto mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:51 AM   #2
mulatto mutant

now that i've jobone'd the place up i'm gonna go kill myself feel free to neg me
03) Tsu Surf
04) Calicoe
05) B Magic
06) Illmaculate
07) Aye Verb
08) Iron Solomon
09) Tay Roc
10) Fresco
Old 12-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
culturedboy
#StopBeingDirty

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
culturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICE
merry christmas, rmbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeWaltonisGoat View Post
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
Quote:
u might pocket check erik but u wouldnt pull up on t top, the nigga built like a uzi in human forms
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzero View Post
dre dennis hit my phone, i was gettin some head
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormFromOTBVA View Post
your 5 sigs look horrendous
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
culturedboy
#StopBeingDirty

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
culturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICEculturedboy is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant View Post
now that i've jobone'd the place up i'm gonna go kill myself feel free to neg me
sig quoted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ux9 u so fine
CIA does nit worry me , report me to the FDA and see what happens
Quote:
i just wrote 16 on the shitter what happened to real hip hop
Quote:
I'd watch cal battle a fucking Nintendo
Quote:
u might pocket check erik but u wouldnt pull up on t top, the nigga built like a uzi in human forms
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzero View Post
dre dennis hit my phone, i was gettin some head
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormFromOTBVA View Post
your 5 sigs look horrendous
culturedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
iamHBY

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
It does seem in recent years, at least for the guys from NY, most of them are abusing a really mediocre formula, and it becomes really obvious when you're mostly just pushing WGH/TrapNY guys that rap either like Conceited, Chilla or QP, but without any of the nuance that makes them good.

Outside of Trez or whatever, it doesn't seem like URL's really pushing anyone in the PG division that's from Cali or Detroit or so.

Last edited by iamHBY; 12-25-2016 at 07:38 AM.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
JR77

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
JR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Not all of them sound the same, but nearly all of them lack performance, personality and creativity. Which makes them essentially the same person. Like they learned battle rap from a handbook (and never made it past the first two chapters). This doesn't apply to PG's only, but they actually get views.
JR77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #7
lukej

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
lukej is not the worst person
There is 100% a homogeneity among the WGH battlers

That being said there are original guys out there but the clones outnumber them.

Listen to any Gwitty round. There are 20 guys with his "buzz" that sound very much like that style.
lukej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
PriceAintRight
All I know is I'm wavy, b

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
PriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time Antarctica
This is a great thread. Take this rep for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather someone run up on me with a pistol than a dick beater. A pistol somehow sounds less terrifying.
PriceAintRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:20 PM   #9
sleeping dogs

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
sleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australiasleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australia
great post i definitely am guilty of having thought of the pgs like that.
the market sold imaginations just to keep you in the dark"

top 5: hollow, bigg k, b-magic, conceited, tay roc
sleeping dogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #10
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
There is absolutely a PG style, but not all PG battlers fit the description. In fact, almost none of the successful ones do
Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #11
LukeWaltonisGoat

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
LukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICE
There are a lot that have the same cadence tho.. and the motor boat prez mafia voice
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
you are the sturdy femurs that keep this forum upright

@I am LIL ILL is the heart
LukeWaltonisGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
LukeWaltonisGoat

LukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Deuce View Post
There is absolutely a PG style, but not all PG battlers fit the description. In fact, almost none of the successful ones do
Exactly not that I disagree with the whole thing but in all of these he picked the pgs that stand out and not the ones who just do 4 bar build ups all battle
Quote:

Old 12-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #13
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Deuce View Post
this is very true
mapleleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #14
mulatto mutant

I admitted that there's a similarity among a couple PG's every year, but it's not a "PG Style" so much as it is the "new New York" style, since that's where all the "PG sounding" battlers come from (save Dre Dennis, rest his soul).

I only mentioned the notable PG battlers because listing all of them would be insane; about 30 battlers had PG's just this year alone. We shouldn't focus on the battlers who only get 1 PG and leave, because clearly they aren't going anywhere. We also shouldn't focus on the rare few who manage to get a decent amount of buzz despite seemingly being universally hated (like Steams or Brooklyn Carter). The fact of the matter is, we get about 6-8 SOLIDLY DIFFERENT battlers every year from the PG class, and the original vet class only consisted of about 10 people anyway, so we really shouldn't be asking for more.

As far as there being a PG "cadence" or a universal "lack of performance," that's in a lot of ways based on the environment they came from. Small leagues are desperate for talent and looking for anything that makes them look like they have "barsmiths" so the crowd reacts to any kind of seemingly decent battler. You guys already know that's a thing, but it gets in the battler's head and creates a universe in their mind where only their bars matter, so they just rap whatever was on their pad in a kind of "1, 2, 3... PUNCH" format.

That's sad to watch at the first PG but as far as the PG's who manage to graduate, they tended to very quickly lose this stigma. The only problem is now in 2016 and heading into 2017, URL PG crowds are starting to look a lot like WGH crowds, so the process of them learning how to actually win over a crowd instead of having the crowd eating out of their palm starts later and later in the game. I think the Born Legacy series will do a lot to counteract that trend (Prez Mafia vs Nunn Nunn is a good example of this).

So I'm not worried, and I also don't think we should really be hung up on it. I get it if you are tho, since "the top tiers didn't need trial runs." They grew up in environments in their own city where they HAD to win over the crowd, cuz the crowd was full of people who loved their OPPONENT instead of "BARS." It's not that they inherently were better (but if you put a gun to my head, yeah top tiers shit on new guys) but that they were weathered pre-URL in harsher crowds with less forgiving results.

this whole reply was done on the fly so if its not coherent my bad but just generally i dont think we should blame PG's for treating the crowd the way they've been taught to, as long as they quickly get over that once they get to the big leagues
03) Tsu Surf
04) Calicoe
05) B Magic
06) Illmaculate
07) Aye Verb
08) Iron Solomon
09) Tay Roc
10) Fresco
Old 12-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #15
LukeWaltonisGoat

@mulatto mutant I feel you man but I think the originality and overall just quality of pgs has dipped so much that I think we are being a lil light by not calling the pgs out

The first time I saw Tsu Surf on URL it was vs Yung Ill..
Calicoes first two battles on URL were Yung Ill and Nuborn
Hitman's first URL performance was Cortez
Qleen vs B Magic
Big T's performance vs Deacon Frost

I feel like the amount of originality and overall just quality of performances has dipped so much since then that I have to raise questions about if these new niggas have that it
Quote:

Old 12-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #16
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
There is 100% a homogeneity among the WGH battlers

That being said there are original guys out there but the clones outnumber them.

Listen to any Gwitty round. There are 20 guys with his "buzz" that sound very much like that style.
Yeah, that's why I really can't get into watching a significantly large chunk of the WGH battlers.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #17
mulatto mutant

Quote:
@mulatto mutant I feel you man but I think the originality and overall just quality of pgs has dipped so much that I think we are being a lil light by not calling the pgs out

The first time I saw Tsu Surf on URL it was vs Yung Ill..
Calicoes first two battles on URL were Yung Ill and Nuborn
Hitman's first URL performance was Cortez
Qleen vs B Magic
Big T's performance vs Deacon Frost

I feel like the amount of originality and overall just quality of performances has dipped so much since then that I have to raise questions about if these new niggas have that it
Like I said man, I was never trying to tell you the PG's are good or that anyone should like them. That's a preference thing - and besides, I'm completely on your side there, facts. This was just to remind people that we are getting a good amount of variety, even if we don't necessarily feel it is enough or stacks up to the original vets
03) Tsu Surf
04) Calicoe
05) B Magic
06) Illmaculate
07) Aye Verb
08) Iron Solomon
09) Tay Roc
10) Fresco
Old 12-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #18
LukeWaltonisGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulatto mutant View Post
Like I said man, I was never trying to tell you the PG's are good or that anyone should like them. That's a preference thing - and besides, I'm completely on your side there, facts. This was just to remind people that we are getting a good amount of variety, even if we don't necessarily feel it is enough or stacks up to the original vets
Nah I feel you bro and I agree the pgs who stand out for the most part all have their own style I just think that stigma partially comes from cadence and the writing style/way ppl set their shit up
Quote:

Old 12-25-2016, 06:45 PM   #19
iamHBY

Yeah, it seems like there's a specific formula regarding the cadence and writing style/set-ups a lot of the newer PG guys use.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:02 PM   #20
eMc K
Deus Scribendi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
eMc K is not the worst person
Something that needs mentioning is that the vets when they were starting to battle each other had some basis to go off of as far as material goes. There's more room to be creative when you can pick some things out about your opponent. There isn't much room for that anymore. Further, when you're doing a PG battle in front of that URL crowd, they WANT to hear bars. None of these new guys are ballsy enough (or funny enough) to engage the crowd on levels that people like Top, Hollow, Surf and the rest do.

For example, Verb is a battler that can really RAP. And that shows in his performances. How many of these PGs can write a VERSE? Actual rappers make for better battlers
eMc K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #21
PriceAintRight

PriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMc K View Post
Something that needs mentioning is that the vets when they were starting to battle each other had some basis to go off of as far as material goes. There's more room to be creative when you can pick some things out about your opponent. There isn't much room for that anymore. Further, when you're doing a PG battle in front of that URL crowd, they WANT to hear bars. None of these new guys are ballsy enough (or funny enough) to engage the crowd on levels that people like Top, Hollow, Surf and the rest do.

For example, Verb is a battler that can really RAP. And that shows in his performances. How many of these PGs can write a VERSE? Actual rappers make for better battlers
This is why Top and Brizz are top tier now imo. They make good music, and you wouldn't know they were "Battle Rappers".

Quote:
Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather someone run up on me with a pistol than a dick beater. A pistol somehow sounds less terrifying.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #22
eMc K
Deus Scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriceAintRight View Post
This is why Top and Brizz are top tier now imo. They make good music, and you wouldn't know they were "Battle Rappers".
People like to overlook flow when they talk about battle rap strengths, but Top has the nicest flow on URL right now. And it helps his material SO MUCH
Old 12-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #23
lukej

^ 100%.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #24
iamHBY

Quote:
People like to overlook flow when they talk about battle rap strengths, but Top has the nicest flow on URL right now. And it helps his material SO MUCH
Yeah, Top's flow is fuckin' nice.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #25
eMc K
Deus Scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
Yeah, Top's flow is fuckin' nice.
Top might be the only battler that has EVERYTHING combined properly. And the thing is, I'm including Hollow in that. Top can flow, layer bars, real talk, drug talk, joke around, move a crowd, be aggressive, do multis, punchline, do wordplay... IDK, dude doesn't seem to have weaknesses
Old 12-25-2016, 10:42 PM   #26
lukej

Quote:
Top might be the only battler that has EVERYTHING combined properly. And the thing is, I'm including Hollow in that. Top can flow, layer bars, real talk, drug talk, joke around, move a crowd, be aggressive, do multis, punchline, do wordplay... IDK, dude doesn't seem to have weaknesses
He is extremely talented but nowhere near as versatile as Hollow or even Brizz imo

Math and Surf do show how much he has grown though

Top always had everything, the way he angles/tailors to his opponent now makes him fucking deadly
Old 12-25-2016, 10:47 PM   #27
eMc K
Deus Scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
He is extremely talented but nowhere near as versatile as Hollow or even Brizz imo

Math and Surf do show how much he has grown though

Top always had everything, the way he angles/tailors to his opponent now makes him fucking deadly
I can't understand anyone saying Brizz has anything Top doesn't. But what makes you say he lacks Hollow's versatility? Any actual backing or is that just your opinion?
Old 12-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #28
lukej

^ It's not a diss I just think Hollow is by far the most versatile battle rapper of all time.

No one has translated on any platform like Hollow.

Think of any rapper that gets the respect he does whether it's URL or KOTD.

You'll find plenty of people that have respect but it almost always leans towards one platform/league.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:50 PM   #29
lukej

I can't understand anyone putting Top above Brizz, to be honest.

I think when the Arsonal battle comes out more people will see that.

This nigga Brizz beat two legends this year and seems to not get a fraction of the credit Top does, it's ridiculous.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #30
lukej

Keep in mind this growth is recent with Top. It wasn't too long ago he was pigeonholed with the drug talk....he's smart, and adapting, and listening to criticism. Not to mention maybe joining NWX they are helping him expand.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #31
eMc K
Deus Scribendi

Personally it's because Top's material hits significantly more than Brizz's. At least it seems that way.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:15 AM   #32
PriceAintRight

Is it the popular consensus that Brizz got Arsonal outta here? Wowwww. That means that is a MUST watch battle.

Quote: