Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Do battle rappers regress as they get older?

Old 02-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
Hitchslap
Plz don't touch my RAF

Mentioned: 160 Post(s)
Hitchslap is not the worst person
Do battle rappers regress as they get older?

It seems like the older these battlers get, the worse they get and they keep demanding bigger checks. Which battle rappers have gotten better over time and which have fallen off?

Thesaurus has maintained and even improved as he aged.
Conceited got better.
Illmac continued to get worse.
Calicoe has kept getting better.

What do you think?
Hitchslap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
erfworm

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
erfworm is not the worst person
Soul used to be quite wack.
erfworm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Marcus

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Marcus is better than Grind Time AustraliaMarcus is better than Grind Time Australia
Charlie Clips got wacker
Shotgun Suge got better but still wack
Cortez remained mediocre
Roc is getting worse
Surf is getting worse
Hollow gets better
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
acidzero
lookin oinkish : ux9

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
acidzero is better than Grind Time Australiaacidzero is better than Grind Time Australia
iron got better
suge remained the same??
serius jones got worse
acidzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
JR77

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
JR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Many lose their hunger and interest over time. Others are unable to keep up as battle rap evolves. Some oversaturate themselves and their shtick loses its impact.

On the other hand, experience may make some battlers better. Composure, performance, judging their own material, are all traits you'd expect to improve with experience and age.

Saurus is one of the few who has successfully "reinvented" himself, but he's evolving as battle rap evolves. He was at the top of his lane ten years ago and still is now. Illmac still does what he always did, including having some off performances. Conceited has improved his performance and stage presence, but his material is pretty much the same as it was vs Tall T. And I wouldn't say Calicoe is better now than he was vs Math for example.
JR77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
TOPR just returned and murdered it
Respek BA just returned and murdered it also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
No money.

Just Cheese and glory.
cripplesunday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #7
Luke
Midwest Movement.

Mentioned: 805 Post(s)
Luke is better than Grind Time AustraliaLuke is better than Grind Time AustraliaLuke is better than Grind Time Australia
Calicoe is like 18 lol. Not really but u get my point

Top Five Best at "Flow", all time - Joey Jihad, E Ness, Arsonal, Calicoe, Yung Ill (when he is on point)
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:52 AM   #8
Ness Lee
VIP

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Ness Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time Australia
DNA
Soul
Thesaurus
Ave
K Shine
Charron
Me
Fredo
Hollow

and a few others are getting better
Ness Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #9
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
One of the problems with getting older is that life starts toget in the way. It is hard to schedule rehearsing bars for acouple of hundred dollars into a schedule that involves looking after your kids, having a 9-5 job and not being a terrible husband.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #10
Solace254

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Solace254 is not the worst person
I think this happens with rappers in general. Eminem = pure garbage now. Jay-Z is still amazing, but it's a far cry from "How real is this", and the Dynasty intro. I think you hit a certain level and without the acceptance of a lot of constructive criticism you max out. Half the people on Ness Lees list are actually younger, so I'm not sure if it's applicable to them. Nas = cacka now. I think they get stuck in the own arrogance and pride and it warps their style. Look at Diz vs Caustic. Then look at Diz vs Qp. He was already doing weird shit with his voice and weirdo shit in general. I don't think they regress so much as they run their own shit into the ground.
Solace254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #11
RandallFlagg
Registered Loser

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
RandallFlagg is better than Grind Time AustraliaRandallFlagg is better than Grind Time Australia
Thumbs up

I think battle rappers just get older as they get older. I know it's an absurd concept.

Thinking you're the best is a young buck mentality. Everyone becomes more humble as they age and that can be detrimental to an art form based on proving you're better than everyone else.

Look at 17 year old scribble jam Illmac. He was hungry and it shows in his performance. I think he's better at what he does today but that initial fire was gone until that Bigg k battle where he felt he had a lot to prove.

Fans ruin battlers. Clips has had no need to be hungry because he had a fuck ton of fans behind everyone of his fuck ups. They told him he could have won if he had tried and he genuinely believes it.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:04 PM   #12
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
It's mental so you improve. Just like you should improve your quality of work at a company the longer you are there unless your heart isn't in it.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:31 PM   #13
Ness Lee
VIP

Ness Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace254 View Post
I think this happens with rappers in general. Eminem = pure garbage now. Jay-Z is still amazing, but it's a far cry from "How real is this", and the Dynasty intro. I think you hit a certain level and without the acceptance of a lot of constructive criticism you max out. Half the people on Ness Lees list are actually younger, so I'm not sure if it's applicable to them. Nas = cacka now. I think they get stuck in the own arrogance and pride and it warps their style. Look at Diz vs Caustic. Then look at Diz vs Qp. He was already doing weird shit with his voice and weirdo shit in general. I don't think they regress so much as they run their own shit into the ground.
because you're younger, you cant get better as you get older? i see i see
Old 02-18-2017, 11:34 PM   #14
Ness Lee
VIP

thing is, people generally lose interest and hunger for things they've been around for an extended amount of time. its the al bundy syndrome. desensitization and lack of value for something they take for granted. this is with all things in life. something pivotal sometimes happens to spark an old or new flame but for the most part this is is the case. anything otherwise = an obsession. which can be good
Old 02-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #15
Solace254

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Solace254 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness Lee View Post
because you're younger, you cant get better as you get older? i see i see
Never said that once. I didn't know if the younger guys ypu listed applied since we are in fact talking about "getting older" in rap. Experience naturally makes you better in most things. Rap to me is more of a creative venture. Yea there are little technical nuances, (learning to be a syllable miracle lyrical master) but largely creative. Coupled with the fact that rap tends to draw out alter egos more than anything. Especially battle rap with the whole "I'm the best" mentality. I believe it eventually blinds you to reality and you stay stuck in a place where you're trying to best yourself. I don't believe you actually get worse, but you're trapped in your paintings if that makes sense? You may have grown technically, (Eminem can rhyme more weird words than ever, but his music is at the height of it's trash baginess) but you lose out on what made you good. I dunno. I watched my favorite mainstream rappers go through it so I guess I'm just relating it to that. But yea, there are exceptions and you definitely can het better. Most just don't.
Solace254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #16
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness Lee View Post
thing is, people generally lose interest and hunger for things they've been around for an extended amount of time. its the al bundy syndrome. desensitization and lack of value for something they take for granted. this is with all things in life. something pivotal sometimes happens to spark an old or new flame but for the most part this is is the case. anything otherwise = an obsession. which can be good
This guy gets it!

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:34 PM   #17
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
Battlers in general don't get better or worse. It's what becomes popular in battle rap changes
Some rappers evolve with the change some can't or won't change what they do.

Very few battle rappers skill level changes by the time the hit the main stage

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
PaulWhite

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
PaulWhite is not the worst person
I was reading an article about age and creativity, and when it peaks.

"A psychologist at UC-Davis, Dean Simonton, has assembled historiometric data. He finds that the vast majority of disciplines obey an inverted U curve of creativity. The shape of the curve captures the steep rise and slow fall of individual creativity, with performance peaking after a few years of work before it starts a slow, gradual decline."
PaulWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:09 PM   #19
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Most rappers in general tend to fall off as they get older
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #20
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Oh some dude already said that
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #21
Aftershock
VIP

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Aftershock is not the worst person
I feel like I've gotten better as I've gotten older
Aftershock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #22
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
In terms of 'returning to a former or less developed state.' as has been covered multiple times already, they don't lose the skill as it were (though writing may be poorer than previous attempts) the spark, fire, passion etc. gets lost & that's generally what makes people interesting to watch (e.g. early dot).

Bender's performance vs PNUT for example is disappointing cos you know he's still capable of so much more, you get the impression battling doesn't hold the importance for him it once did, but you as the fan recall and want to see that passion again + yeah loads get better, evolve as battling does.
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #23
RonRon da Dong
Ronald R. McDongald

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
RonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time Antarctica
they definitely seem to get winded easier... Iron Solomon, Thesaurus, Arsonal for example all used to have way better cardio it seems... Ars vs Hollow compared to Ars today are literally 2 different ppl imo

I got 4 more bars hold on ..

then rap a whole 16
RonRon da Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #24
mike rigs
#trusttheplug

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
mike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Reverse Live
Fresco
QP
Thesaurus
Ness Lee
Megadef
ICE
Danja Zone

Keep getting better as they get older

But yeah, a lot of dudes have been falling off. I think it has to do with lack of passion more than anything else
mike rigs is online now   Reply With Quote