Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
How did KOTD go from their biggest battle to Grind Time 2.0?

Old 06-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
Ayo!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ayo! is a PY Poster
How did KOTD go from their biggest battle to Grind Time 2.0?

It must be hard navigating a world without Nikiya's money.
Ayo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:35 AM   #2
Profess

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
@Ayo! What was their biggest battle?
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
PJ Sumroc
FormerBattleAddictCoHost

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
PJ Sumroc is not the worst person
Black Mass was fire... Heard Empire was good..KOTD currently fine in my book

BATTLE ADDICT
THE WAX DRIPPING GERALDO RIVERA MEMORIAL AWARD WINNING RADIO SHOW

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/battleaddict

https://twitter.com/Battle_Addict

-YOUTUBE-
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6qL...?feature=watch
PJ Sumroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1465 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Sumroc View Post
Black Mass was fire... Heard Empire was good..KOTD currently fine in my book
It's almost July and you can list one event that has actually occurred
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
Feral Linguist

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
@Ayo! What was their biggest battle?
hollow v pat stay.....................
Old 06-26-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
StabYourself
Seasoned Fan

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
StabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Ol Travis heading back to the steel mill.
StabYourself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
iamHBY

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I thought Ganik vs. Gully 2 was pretty decent, the events with Chalked Out have been solid, and MASS4 definitely exceeded my expectations considering the match possibilities.

I will say though, it probably didn't help KOTD that Dizaster (who was one of the biggest names associated with them) spent every day for a solid 5 months going after the business practices of KOTD, and that now he kinda goes back and forth between wanting to see KOTD do good or fail.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:00 AM   #8
Profess

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
hollow v pat stay.....................
So we're talking about about a two year decline.

-The Iron Solomon/ Nikiya misunderstanding

-Their lack of flexibility implementing Dizasters marketing ideas. For example, botched promotion and release of the Oxymiron battle. Had the business been worked out in advance they could had capitalized on Russian views of the Oxy battle. Instead it was primarily watched in certain areas of the former Soviet Union via bootleg.

-Lack of a strong CEO. Too many cooks in the kitchen. KOTD was good at first when the start up culture was hot at their headquarters in da 6. However, as time passed they really should have brought in an adult MBA type to run the business.

-KOTD initially picked up steam because there was already an Organik scene in Canada from the WRC's and they got lucky absorbing much of Grindtime as that league fell ill. However, instead of reinvesting an appropriate share of their profits back into homegrown talent. They choose to outsource too much. In addition to their outsourcing practices being sub optimal. The mercenary talent often didn't bring their best to the foreign stage. In other words, the URL slogan about their stage being the only one that matters.. hurt the brand because there was no denying that it had a truthful ring.

-The Rise of RBE. Before RBE really made a name and solidified itself as the 2nd best league in battle rap. KOTD was the #2 league. So as battle rap has grows there becomes less of need for KOTD as a 2nd platform.

-Avocado working with more leagues. If I recall correctly, Kyle has always been an independent contractor. However, KOTD's high production value and PPV quality is pretty much because of him. But with him now working with the URL in a public way it decreases the shine on KOTD's production quality because now a higher standard is more common.

-Lack of brotherhood with the Fresh Coast and Toronto divisions. More specifically, what is KOTD's value statement? A lack of a clear brand disorients the total package.

-One thing that they did right tho.. was fire Dirtbag Dan. But does anyone really think BOTZ will put out better videos and events in 2019 than KOTD?

-The URL has gotten better- expanding the gap between the 2 comapanies. So while KOTD seemed cool in the past, they are just getting worse now. Bishop seems like a nice guy but the slogan of taking the mirror down is off.. because if KOTD is going to return to their former glory they will have to put the mirror up to themselves. When they do, they will realize that the only man that can make KOTD great again in Lush One.

Can I get a UNO!!

Last edited by Profess; 06-27-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
Feral Linguist

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
damn @Profess good post

now i may be a total wingnut but i think BOTZ is already smoking KOTD

one example - TOPR v the saurus - what is the best KOTD battle that has come out since this one dropped? i will look forward to any input
Old 06-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #10
StabYourself
Seasoned Fan

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
StabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time AntarcticaStabYourself is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Iron Vs Chilla is the first video on the channel to break 150k in 6 months, and it's still under 200k a week after its release last I checked. Everything else is a fraction of that.

There is definitely a story that needs to be told here by someone in the know. Contrary to @iamHBY's post, and with all due respect, I have a hard time believing that Dizasters bashing of the brand had as much of an impact on KOTD's performance and output as their business moves did.
StabYourself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
Profess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
damn @Profess good post

now i may be a total wingnut but i think BOTZ is already smoking KOTD

one example - TOPR v the saurus - what is the best KOTD battle that has come out since this one dropped? i will look forward to any input
Thanks

IMO in the last 18 months between those two channels The Saurus vs Topr is the best battle dropped.

I'll try and look into it more but I'm guessing that while botz has the high point that they also have more low points. To be fair, Kotd had a few mediocre battles in that time period.

But I def agree that BOTZ is gaining a lot of ground on kotd. And without a strong Fresh coast presence, I see no reason why botz can't dominate kotd in the future.

botz to kotd is like rbe is to url. because rbe tries new things like putting money on the line or giving shine to guys not currently on the main stage and helping them build their brand. and botz does things we might not see on kotd like pat Stay vs NO Shame.

But while RBE is better than botz.. they will probably never surpass the url. And unless lush saves KOTD.. botz has a great chance. But here is a pro tip.. for Dan if he can go above signing Lush to a 5 year supermax contact and give him a substantial ownership stake then Lush might seriously consider taking his talents to San Jose
Old 06-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #12
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post

I will say though, it probably didn't help KOTD that Dizaster (who was one of the biggest names associated with them) spent every day for a solid 5 months going after the business practices of KOTD, and that now he kinda goes back and forth between wanting to see KOTD do good or fail.
This - acting like the platform is another battler is never a good look.
Cuntoffs are Jumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #13
grandgroove

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayo! View Post
It must be hard navigating a world without Nikiya's money.

Iím asking this in all earnestness: Did the absence of Nikiya as in investor cause a drop of this magnitude? In other words, is that the bigger hit to the company than the Diz situation or other matters?
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 PM   #14
mdk
Hetero Killer Whale

Mentioned: 836 Post(s)
mdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarctica
@Profess u forgot one word...daylyt
mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #15
Profess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk View Post
@Profess u forgot one word...daylyt
Hmm help me understand Daylyt's role in KOTD's recent stock drop..

Old 06-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #16
mdk
Hetero Killer Whale

Mentioned: 836 Post(s)
mdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Hmm help me understand Daylyt's role in KOTD's recent stock drop..

the lack of him being in it
mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:49 PM   #17
peace
Mr. Claypots 😎

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
peace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarcticapeace is better than Grind Time Antarctica
without delving into backstage politics...

abandoning the west coast and investing in consistently bad toronto events and a garbage detroit division. booking foreseeably terrible battles in front of a foreseeably terrible crowd. emphasizing the chain while ignoring the fact it put one of KOTD's most unique rappers in a position where he must take battles no one wants to see. trying to take smack's place as north america's #1 urban entertainment company while failing to capitalize on what could make their product original and neglecting how the scene perceives them. not following in DFUSA's footsteps. losing avocado's exclusivity. leeching off grind time and smack veterans who eventually get old and washed up. not having a strong grasp on talent and, subsequently, failing to produce any homegrown talent for years. having king fly's online presence and bishop brigante as one of the faces of the brand. refusing to accept or even consider constructive criticism from fans.

there's a reason the bunker was the best thing to come out of KOTD and battle rap as a whole in quite some time. seemingly, KOTD canada had little to do with it, or, at least, its events were heavily influenced by the interests of the fresh coast and not organik, gully, and bishop.

if you ever doubt KOTD canada's role in the brand's current decline, remember this: while KOTD were investing money into major toronto events and years into "promising" up-and-comers like shotti p, certain RMBVA members recommended a relatively unknown geechi gotti for a spot on an under-promoted bunker card against another no-name. compare where the two are now. i don't need to go further.

Last edited by peace; 06-28-2018 at 12:05 AM.
peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:06 AM   #18
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Damn, my bros @Profess and @peace giving damn near the whole game away for free in this thread. Good shit.

But there’s one more thing: JUDGED BATTLES
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 AM   #19
EchosMyron

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
EchosMyron is not the worst person
@Profess and @peace pretty much nailed it.

KOTD has lost a step in every category where they had an edge. URL is throwing better events on the west now. Avo isn't exclusive so they don't have the production edge. URL consistently does PPV now so they're no longer special in that regard. A lot of the talent is past their prime and there's never been a consistent new roster to replace them. Let alone the constant crop of newcomers URL manages to build up.

It's not as if they didnt try but no superstars emerged from their efforts. Psychoses and Gjonaj fucked off, Geechi is off to greener pastures. Saynt still fucks with them I guess? But I dont even check for enough of their battles anymore to know. They've just been too dull.
EchosMyron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #20
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
So much great analysis in this thread

Only battle even approaching topr vs saurus since was brixx vs frak and frak is a botz guy and brixx is a GT sons forgotten son...

My opinion is kotd got out of their lane and then kind of lost themselves in the process. GT did a great job of character development by booking people with different styles and different personalities/ that for all their faults were original. Kotd has become clone city. Look at joey gambello im that recent battle. Yea maybe the bars are “fire” but the structure and maneurisms are the build a bear blueprint its brutal to watch. Url has that issue too Dont get me wrong but kotd just has no new exciting names and wont book the good old names i want to see... and if they do book those classic guys they spread them too thin nh.

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #21
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I wouldnt annoint botz yet DBD has kind of gone off the deep end infusing politics with battle rap (should have seen it coming as the self proclaimed ESPN of battle rap)

Rip ux9
Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #22
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk View Post
the lack of him being in it
He had a string of huge battles that def helped keep them afloat.. and it was must see exclusive stuff only had bc daylyt wasnt on url

Rip ux9
Old 06-28-2018, 08:19 AM   #23
Emancee

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Haha! Loving the love for BOTZ. Genuinely can't work out my feeling about that league when it has flames like Pat bodying NoShame, TOPR vs Saurus alongside battles like D Go vs Maniacal, Solid Theory vs Ace Boogie, Ryne vs Luxury Phe which so few of you watched/ care about that you probably didn't even realize one of those battles didn't actually happen and I totally made it up, lol.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #24
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Great thread, I think I'd just add that Talkback hasn't helped with the constructive criticism side of things. The FB groups tend to be extremely cliquey echo chambers, it's just a 100 man circle jerk all agreeing with each other and shitting on anyone who says something negative about KOTD and that's a terrible set up for feedback; the majority of people in that group would blindly approve of anything KOTD does.

I saw the same thing happen with DF. An event would drop with nearly all mediocre battlers, that also happen to post frequently on the FB group and all of the people in the group would act like it was the best thing ever, then the battles drop on youtube and everybody else is unimpressed but they're just ignored because "haters".
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I'd say Chef Trez is my Bangz

Last edited by rogermellie; 06-28-2018 at 09:49 AM.
rogermellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:27 PM   #25
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Dlor hasn't been on a card since WD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
No money.

Just Cheese and glory.
cripplesunday1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:36 PM   #26
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
OP's thread title is misleading. Clearly DF is Grindtime 2.0, KOTD is battling it out for GT3.0
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:48 PM   #27
wreckedangle
@wreckedangle

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
wreckedangle is not the worst person
i think kid twists retirement really hurt kotd
he was a nerdy canadian weirdo who could actually spit and was likeable
charron has never been able to shake the kid brother little pussyboy image and KOTD got behind him for his run there as much as they could.. but twist was respected and once he left, there was no premiere canadian dude left to push who had angles that werent full of tough guy shit.. once he was gone, it was like there wasnt a lot of space left for guys who werent street dudes.. people like tricky p and porich werent considered top tier - in spite of their entertaining qualities (even tho i was never a big tricky p dude) - so they were relegated to lower divisions

from the outside looking in and with 20/20 hindsight, it seemed like they were fame chasing for a while there and it really backfired in the long run.. however, the late 2000s/early 2010s was a super fun time for the league.. miss that comeup era!
whoa
ONLY DUMB NIGGA'S THINK ITS THE SAME PAIR I GOT SO MANY I COULD START A LINE...SLIME
WHOA!!!!
wreckedangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:02 AM   #28
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedangle View Post
he was a nerdy canadian weirdo who could actually spit and was likeable
charron has never been able to shake the kid brother little pussyboy image and KOTD got behind him for his run there as much as they could.. but twist was respected and once he left, there was no premiere canadian dude left to push who had angles that werent full of tough guy shit.. once he was gone, it was like there wasnt a lot of space left for guys who werent street dudes.. people like tricky p and porich werent considered top tier - in spite of their entertaining qualities (even tho i was never a big tricky p dude) - so they were relegated to lower divisions

from the outside looking in and with 20/20 hindsight, it seemed like they were fame chasing for a while there and it really backfired in the long run.. however, the late 2000s/early 2010s was a super fun time for the league.. miss that comeup era!
Kid Twist did a rematch with Madness last year at TIFF for KOTD, and hasn't really as much stayed retired, as he has been busy with writing for the last season of Drop The Mic, as well as working on Bodied in 2016.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:23 AM   #29
wreckedangle
@wreckedangle

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
wreckedangle is not the worst person
he retired to focus on his writing, im pretty sure hes an english major or something
to imply he hasnt retired because he did one battle in the last 10 years at the film premiere he wrote the screenplay for is ridiculous
whoa
ONLY DUMB NIGGA'S THINK ITS THE SAME PAIR I GOT SO MANY I COULD START A LINE...SLIME
WHOA!!!!
wreckedangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:50 AM   #30
Water Mage

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Water Mage is not the worst person
Quote:
I do not so much thing its Twists retirement per se but the issue that pushed him and others like him away from the KOTD events.. And even the presentation and format that made the Hollohans, Jack Shitts and Twists of the world unable to shine the way they could if they had shorter rounds and a pit set up to rap in.

I actually loved the quirky Canadian battle scene that existed in the early days of KOTD's existence.. Speaking as a Canadian myself, on average, we will always be a bit more weird, a bit more silly, nerdy or redneck than our American counterparts. I thought that the early years of KOTD really displayed that and the interface between Americans and Canadians was fascinating for me.

I think Organik had something to prove, tried to make KOTD into something it is not... I don't care how whack Syco or OZ were, they made me laugh and back then the crowds used to laugh too.. Imagine.. A T dot crowd laughing and having fun! Now its all dark and dismal.
Water Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:21 AM   #31
riffic
RYD ;

riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post
refusing to accept or even consider constructive criticism from fans.
stopping short of saying this is the reason why KOTD is floundering and struggling to maintain relevance, but it's definitely symptomatic of them being completely in over their heads when it comes to running a company that should be flourishing at the current moment. they've always had such a strange willful arrogance in the face of people (nearly all of which wanted KOTD to succeed) trying to offer advice to better their product, be it business practice to web design to talent to whatever. like, legit contempt for anyone who had the audacity to think that they could offer an idea, any idea, that could possibly be better than what the KOTD staff had independently thought of themselves. "you don't get it bro, we're selling shirts!"

KOTD from its beginning seems to have been fueled by a hardcore inferiority complex, one that leads to them getting pissed off at revolutionary ideas like "hey, maybe don't have an abrasive, vindictive asshole be your PUBLIC RELATIONS GUY" or "the ppv site shouldn't be horrible" or "maybe booking really bad rappers hurts your brand more than the 20 tickets their friends buy helps it" etc. etc.

successful people don't actively resist new ideas, especially when the ideas are being offered concerning a field they're very obviously learning on the fly. it isn't surprising that a group of people who had to figure out what the best avenue to go down & resisted every local trying to give them directions wound up in the wrong area.
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Old 07-01-2018, 07:43 AM   #32
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
I actually loved the quirky Canadian battle scene that existed in the early days of KOTD's existence.. Speaking as a Canadian myself, on average, we will always be a bit more weird, a bit more silly, nerdy or redneck than our American counterparts. I thought that the early years of KOTD really displayed that and the interface between Americans and Canadians was fascinating for me.
Yeah, I always liked that too. Don't Flop showed that if you set up the platform, the talent will come. The worst thing is that plenty of other guys came through, but because they weren't supported, they soon disappeared. Pigsty, Wise Guy, Illipsis, Chedda, Osa etc. Even some of the WOAT contenders like Notez and DDSS at least weren't cookie cutter and with a little investment (and possibly a ghost writer, lol) could have been interesting.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #33
iamHBY

Quote:
he retired to focus on his writing, im pretty sure hes an english major or something
to imply he hasnt retired because he did one battle in the last 10 years at the film premiere he wrote the screenplay for is ridiculous
He battled Shuffle-T & Marlo in that surprise 2 on 2 at Blackout 5, John John Da Don at Back To Basics 1, Rone at WD5, Oshea at 7BW and Chedda Cheese at I believe a Calgary event in 2015 before doing the Madness rematch in 2017 (and obviously he didn't battle in 2016 since writing Bodied took up quite a bit of free time on his part).
Old 07-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #34
riffic
RYD ;

how on Earth did "had one 2.5 year stretch where he didn't battle" turn into "one battle in ten years" hahaha

ten years ago was... his first battle on KOTD...
Quote:
Old 07-01-2018, 11:40 PM   #35
Seanzo
We in here

Mentioned: 2902 Post(s)
Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
Quote:
I do not so much thing its Twists retirement per se but the issue that pushed him and others like him away from the KOTD events.. And even the presentation and format that made the Hollohans, Jack Shitts and Twists of the world unable to shine the way they could if they had shorter rounds and a pit set up to rap in.

I think Organik had something to prove, tried to make KOTD into something it is not... I don't care how whack Syco or OZ were, they made me laugh and back then the crowds used to laugh too.. Imagine.. A T dot crowd laughing and having fun! Now its all dark and dismal.
This is my favourite post you've made on here in a long time. I got into KOTD battles because they reflected Canadian culture and what I saw as normal Canadians. It was such a fascinating group of both fans and battlers. The scene now feels so bland.
Quote:
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh;

and jewish people dont eat beef so ur definitely not right on that 1
Seanzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #36
averagejoe
©

Mentioned: 1158 Post(s)
averagejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local leagueaveragejoe is a vet in their local league
Quote:
So we're talking about about a two year decline.

-The Iron Solomon/ Nikiya misunderstanding

-Their lack of flexibility implementing Dizasters marketing ideas. For example, botched promotion and release of the Oxymiron battle. Had the business been worked out in advance they could had capitalized on Russian views of the Oxy battle. Instead it was primarily watched in certain areas of the former Soviet Union via bootleg.

-Lack of a strong CEO. Too many cooks in the kitchen. KOTD was good at first when the start up culture was hot at their headquarters in da 6. However, as time passed they really should have brought in an adult MBA type to run the business.

-KOTD initially picked up steam because there was already an Organik scene in Canada from the WRC's and they got lucky absorbing much of Grindtime as that league fell ill. However, instead of reinvesting an appropriate share of their profits back into homegrown talent. They choose to outsource too much. In addition to their outsourcing practices being sub optimal. The mercenary talent often didn't bring their best to the foreign stage. In other words, the URL slogan about their stage being the only one that matters.. hurt the brand because there was no denying that it had a truthful ring.

-The Rise of RBE. Before RBE really made a name and solidified itself as the 2nd best league in battle rap. KOTD was the #2 league. So as battle rap has grows there becomes less of need for KOTD as a 2nd platform.

-Avocado working with more leagues. If I recall correctly, Kyle has always been an independent contractor. However, KOTD's high production value and PPV quality is pretty much because of him. But with him now working with the URL in a public way it decreases the shine on KOTD's production quality because now a higher standard is more common.

-Lack of brotherhood with the Fresh Coast and Toronto divisions. More specifically, what is KOTD's value statement? A lack of a clear brand disorients the total package.

-One thing that they did right tho.. was fire Dirtbag Dan. But does anyone really think BOTZ will put out better videos and events in 2019 than KOTD?

-The URL has gotten better- expanding the gap between the 2 comapanies. So while KOTD seemed cool in the past, they are just getting worse now. Bishop seems like a nice guy but the slogan of taking the mirror down is off.. because if KOTD is going to return to their former glory they will have to put the mirror up to themselves. When they do, they will realize that the only man that can make KOTD great again in Lush One.

Can I get a UNO!!

holy fuck all this happened? RBE is a new battle league? People have been saying KOTD falling off since it started so hard to tell if real or not

i stopped watching battles completely for a long time. i want to like them. they dont make funny witty (and silly) battles like they used to. The events are too big and scripted for me. and battles are long and boring.

nothing amazing like this (or think tiger ty west coast) can happen anymore

Last edited by averagejoe; 07-05-2018 at 10:18 PM.
averagejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #37
Profess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh View Post

nothing amazing like this (or think tiger ty west coast) can happen anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0kn9J49ETU&t=3s
3:15-3:20 in that video. Coincidence or prediction? Was No Shame already on the circuit?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #38
Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown is not the worst person
There are some really good posts in here (obviously @Profess with a stellar overview).

Maybe it was addressed, but what are we basing this fall from grace on?

Fan enjoyment? Preference of recent/upcoming battles?

Only reason I'm asking is that the KPI of opinion doesn't really hold much weight when running a business.
(A lame example is looking at the net worth of celebrities. Ben Affleck has made a number of horrible movies in the last couple years. Matthew Mcconaughey has chosen much better projects to work on and won the hearts of new fans and the awards for his role, Affleck’s net worth is higher than Mcconaughey’s…)

When you look at the battles released this year, RBE hands down wins from an avg. views perspective (all of their battles released are 100k+, KOTD has about 7 released since the start of the year that achieved 100k+, which reflects less than 50% of their battles).

However if you look at total views (just for battles, not all content) in the last 7 months, KOTD has 3.1M and RBE has 2.6M.

If we judge a business by their ability to make money, does youtube pay more based on the average views per video OR do they pay by total views (I don't know the details to this btw, from my understanding it IS total views but I could easily be proved wrong).

Basically, an advertiser doesn't necessarily care if Sno vs. Times was a "classic" or not...

It goes without saying that RBE's Mook event is arguably the best event of the year (maybe not arguably at this point), but what is the ROI that they are expecting from this?

It's going to be great for the fans of battle rap, but is the event going to make money? Either RBE has an outside investor OR ARP is going all in. If the event sells out with thousands of people in the venue, if they get tens of thousands of PPV’s, if the YouTube views propel each battle to a million plus, and their subscribers goes up 10 fold, this could be a highly profitable event. But is all that going to happen? Would you invest in a company that was investing heavily in themselves or a company that was playing it safe but had been sustainable for 10yrs?

At the end of the day, competition has made battle rap better imo. Smack events have gotten more interesting, more leagues pop up with new innovative ideas/battles, which means the biggest leagues have to adapt. Is the Mook battle more exciting than the Diz v. Oxxi battle, maybe. Will it make as much money? Probably not.

If KOTD stops throwing events and Organik goes back to a 9 to 5 job in order to fund Joey Gambello vs. Arcane in front of 9 silent white kids in Toronto, it's safe to say their business is failing.

But in terms of RBE, I'd wait to see if Arp can even continue after (seemingly) going all-in on an event.

At the end of the day, I agree with most of the comments in here. My personal feeling is that competition benefits the fans the most so I'm happy with however this works out. I'm just not sure if KOTD has fallen off as hard simply due to a lack of "classics"

Additionally, KOTD produced Frak v. Brixx this year. Which is the greatest battle of all time. So there's that.
Cabbagetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #39
Profess

Thank you @Cabbagetown. Your post brings up some interesting points/questions. I’ll do my best at addressing these in order.

Concerning the inquiry into KOTD’s fall of grace, and the speculation that it has already been addressed. Let's consider that a rhetorical question and just say that there a number of specific hypothesis’ to that question throughout the thread. But in a general sense, a mix of the exchange between @Seanzo and @Water Mage sums it up well: KOTD battles used to reflect the quirky culture of Canadians, but after awhile KOTD had something to prove and tried becoming something its not.

The Mcconaughey Affleck analogy is an interesting one. It sounds like the point of that is that the perceptions of a particular segment aren’t necessarily key indicators of an entities overall value.

Next, is the RBE/KOTD view comparison. Because what we are really doing here is trying to solve the problem of crowning the #2 league or at least forecasting what the pecking order will be in the near future. Now it is my turn for an analogy. So I’m going with a baseball one. Jose Altuve leads MLB with 123 hits, and Mookie Betts leads the MLB with a batting average of .344. In this comparison Altuve is KOTD, and Betts is RBE. And if we are taking your speculation as fact as how youtube values its channels, the batting average is a more important metric than total hits. In other words, RBE has the edge in channel value.

Moving on and strengthening the case of RBE as the #2 league is momentum. Move specifically, the Mook event, and how that is the event of the year. As far as ARP having an outside investor, I think so. I also think that RBE is a group not just one person. I also don’t think that they are going all in, and I think the event will make money. I personally wouldn’t invest in either company due to a lack of information. And I think this issue gets complicated and we’d have to be careful not to oversimplify things. For example, a huge established company like IBM missed a lot of growth by sticking with the mainframe game during the beginning of the PC revolution and that is when Microsoft and Apple started carving their niches. So, I’ll play it safe and just say it depends on more things than just playing it safe or self investing.

And I agree that competition is good for battle rap. Same way the ABA was good for the NBA. The merger brought the 3 point shot, slam dunk contest, drafting underclassmen, faster pace of play, and pressing and trapping defenses.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the Aug 18th RBE event turns out because it might be a defining moment. But let's not pit the leagues against each other. Because I’m sure we can agree that aside from knocking KOTD to a solid #3, that an RBE success doesn’t translate to a nail in the coffin for KOTD. KOTD will have to control their own destiny.

Last edited by Profess; 07-10-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #40
Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown is not the worst person
Those are all really good points.

If we’re talking about creating a competitor to Smack, I 100% agree that RBE is that brand. I think KOTD did their best when they were doing something different. One could argue as soon as they started walking away from what made them unique and tried to set up matches that could compare to Smack, was the end of their beginning.

RBE has an authenticity KOTD won’t ever have really. And they have the respect of the Smack audience (it seems) which means their hit percentage (another great analogy) is going to be consistently higher.

I think KOTD will last as they’ve figured out a way to navigate thus far, a BIG part of this though will be how they manage Chalked Out (in the same way that rbe and Smack are comparable, kotd and don’t flop seemed to walk the same line, if they can get that following secured, that improves their stake).

Exciting time for battle rap regardless.
Cabbagetown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8217, 8220, 8221, 8230