Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
FIRE BATTLE SHOX THE REBEL VS SOUL | Don't Flop Rap Battle [TITLE MATCH]

View Poll Results: Who do you think won?
Shox The Rebel 18 48.65%
Soul 19 51.35%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
gamesguru
I'm Just Sittin' Here...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
gamesguru is not the worst person
SHOX THE REBEL VS SOUL | Don't Flop Rap Battle [TITLE MATCH]

gamesguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Bubba Barz
Antonyms and Synonyms

Bubba Barz User wishes battle rap was all still freestyled
I finks shox won free o bruv m8
Bubba Barz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Rusty Shackleford

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Rusty Shackleford is not the worst person
Gave it to Soul 3-1 after about 5 PPV watches, will watch the official release version soon and see if it makes a difference. Both were insane and this is a phenomenal battle

Soul's thunder/Shox bar is ridiculous
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
Triptych
ɥɔʎʇdıɹ⊥

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Triptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time AustraliaTriptych is better than Grind Time Australia
Every. Single. Line. A quotable. The hype is real, holy shit.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
Shadowposter
Who you callin pinhead?

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Shadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time Antarctica
it would be 2-2 on here haha. I love Soul, but I don't think he hit his ceiling here, and Shox had a career performance. Really good battle though, got Shox 2-1, as did like all of the judges
Shadowposter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Both first rounds are both bananas and retardo.
Shox got this, was close though, Soul had some crazy stuff as per, but Shox got too many haymakers. and the 3rd round seemed like a bit of a risk on Souls part, not that i didn't think it worked, very well written but, i don't think it stood against da baaarhzszssszhzzz tha punchezzzzzz

hoping this means Soul vs Illmac next
and Shox vs Gemini/Quill/Respek for the next title bout

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
No money.

Just Cheese and glory.
cripplesunday1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown is not the worst person
Fuck that was good

1st and 2nd could go either way for me, 3rd it felt like Soul was trying to do a "illmac vs k" 3rd round and it just didn't land as well.

Shox vs. Gotti, someone make that happen
Cabbagetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:18 PM   #8
Dunsh
VIP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dunsh is not the worst person
This was really good. Edged it to soul first watch but thought his performance got steadily weaker whereas shox's got stronger so i can see it going either way. Soul's first though... sheesh
Dunsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
erfworm

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
erfworm is better than Grind Time Australiaerfworm is better than Grind Time Australia
Soul was Soul but crikey Shox was on some next shit here
erfworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #10
NinjaTurtlesAtTheBeach

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
NinjaTurtlesAtTheBeach is not the worst person
there's no way this crowd gets all of these references
NinjaTurtlesAtTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #11
thatguy

Mentioned: 768 Post(s)
thatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticathatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
soul won obviously. first time I've heard of Shox he was alright, but I have no desire to watch again. but my overall reaction to this battle was... different... than the posts above me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am LIL ILL View Post
Dizaster is my most favorite battle rapper of all time.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #12
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Soul 3-0. Shox was very good here, but didn't think he had the same complexity as Soul (which isn't much of a knock, because who does tbh). Soul kind of lost it for himself with that 3rd though, which while better than Shox (imo), didn't play into the momentum he had created and was way more conceptual out of left field than people listening were into after Shox's 3rd.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:32 PM   #13
Bwdawatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bwdawatt is not the worst person
Gave it to Soul, pretty convincingly. I don't think Shox came anywhere near matching the levels Soul reached in this battle. That's pretty much it.

Shox had some great lines, but a LOT of his punches were stretched and got gassed in the room because of his delivery. Which is nice. But was more impressed with Soul's stuff.
Bwdawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:45 PM   #14
StankDaddy

StankDaddy User wishes battle rap was all still freestyled
Ehhhh 2-1 Soul. Soul's second was fairly whatever and Shox was consistently barring out. But thats all he did. Soul comfortably took 1 and 3 on every level except projection.
StankDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:58 AM   #15
Schwarzer_Negger

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Schwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time AustraliaSchwarzer_Negger is better than Grind Time Australia
Soul spat complex shit for the sake of it. "Welcome to hell", man that is so corny. It's a rap battle. Shox stuff about "I've done half the rounds, half the battles and Im still up here making half the battle" was a much better angle. I thought Shox got this clearly.
Schwarzer_Negger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:27 AM   #16
iamHBY

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I think if Soul spent more of his 2nd and 3rd rounds rapping like he did in the 1st, he would've retained the title for sure, but I thought he spent too much time in the 2nd and 3rd on some half-baked angles, while Shox was consistently on an incline with the punches. Solid battle for sure though, definitely a hard fought title match.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:04 AM   #17
BattleRapResume

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
BattleRapResume is not the worst person
Incredible match. I caught up with Shox a week later to dissect the whole thing if anyone wants context:
Old 05-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #18
Emancee

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Unbelievably clear 2:1 to Shox to me. Soul has been experimenting with his writing recently, but this was a step too far into lyrical miracles for me. 'The pen is sanctioned', peasants, and a half round about a trip through Hell is all too much for me. Add to that a half-round of comedy that should have been two bars max. Just very overly indulgent writing. A classic case of a champ feeling himself way too much.

Soul basically lost the same way Rone lost to ICE. He had the material, but didn't have the correct battle approach. Too many dry spells. As it is this convinces me that Soul still has some flaws that he needs to address to truly be a GOAT as Shox convincingly won. Add Caustic and a debatable with Real Deal to that and it is clear Soul has some ways too go still in all the other elements to being a great MC other than writing
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.

Last edited by Emancee; 05-28-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #19
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Also RYD don't need to make a commentary video for this battle, the guy standing by the cameraman already did that, lol
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #20
Skr33
Registered Loser

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Skr33 is not the worst person
When soul brings up the christmas mental health helpline shit and Shox turns to the camera and says "awh shit" might be my favorite moment from the battle tbh
Skr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:29 PM   #21
Assassin Ben

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
Close battle, it is debatable but Soul had the best line of the battle, with the StarkRaven line

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChopChoiceBeats
www.facebook.com/ChopChoiceBeats

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. MF Doom
4. Notorious BIG
5. Rick Ross
Assassin Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:27 PM   #22
Bwdawatt

OK so lemme use a specific example to back up what I'm talking about:

"There's an animal in your boat; LIFE OF PI!"

Obviously in Life of Pi you've got a tiger who is on a boat with a guy, so the bar makes sense. I mean it's a bit of a stretch, since battle rap doesn't have a 'boat', and nobody would ever use that terminology in real life, so it doesn't really apply to real life. But I'll let that bit slide.

My point is: what exactly are people so impressed with? It's a pretty simple bar. Are people just reacting because they like the film? I always hear that Shox is great at punching / barring out his opponent. But I mostly hear bars like this; either stretched or very simple, just delivered well. Idk.

I don't really give a shit who the champ is. I just don't like when people get gassed.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #23
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwdawatt View Post

Obviously in Life of Pi you've got a tiger who is on a boat with a guy, so the bar makes sense. I mean it's a bit of a stretch, since battle rap doesn't have a 'boat', and nobody would ever use that terminology in real life, so it doesn't really apply to real life. But I'll let that bit slide.
You might want to get out your British urban dictionary and look up 'boat' . Getting up in someone's boat is getting up in their face. Bar makes total sense (although somewhat simple) and yes a guy like Shox would indeed use that phrase in real life

Last edited by Emancee; 05-29-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #24
Bwdawatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
You might want to get out your British urban dictionary and look up 'boat' . Getting up in someone's boat is getting up in their face. Bar makes total sense (although somewhat simple) and yes a guy like Shox would indeed use that phrase in real life
Christ, I've got a tonne of London mates and I've never heard any of them use the word 'boat' for face. Maybe Shox is one of the few who actually would use it, but still sounds like a bit of a stretch to me.

The point remains: I don't really see what everyone is reacting for. Is it just because Shox's delivery is punchy and aggressive?
Old 05-29-2017, 06:51 AM   #25
StankDaddy

StankDaddy User wishes battle rap was all still freestyled
Quote:

My point is: what exactly are people so impressed with? It's a pretty simple bar. Are people just reacting because they like the film? I always hear that Shox is great at punching / barring out his opponent. But I mostly hear bars like this; either stretched or very simple, just delivered well. Idk.

I don't really give a shit who the champ is. I just don't like when people get gassed.
It totally makes sense, its just such a weak line i actually had to run the next few punches back cause i was facepalming and missed them.
Its a terrible fucking line no matter if it makes sense.
StankDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:31 PM   #26
iamHBY

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
It's still funny to me that "boat" is British slang for face.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:39 PM   #27
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
Is Harry on the boat, son? Must be the weirdest sex slang I have ever heard in real life,lol.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 AM   #28
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post

Its cockney (London) rhyming slang. Don't DNA us

Quote:
No money.

Just Cheese and glory.

Last edited by cripplesunday1; 05-29-2017 at 10:22 AM.
cripplesunday1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:33 AM   #29
mdk
Hetero Killer Whale

Mentioned: 836 Post(s)
mdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarctica
never watched a battle by either of these guys, except for i think i watched caustic vs soul and i remember soul just didnt come with it for whatever reason

as for this battle...i dont think i remember a more "serious" tone at a rap battle in recent memory. this shit is like a throwback to one of the old kotd battles for the chain or some shit. lot of tension in the air and u can tell fools are just not taking this shit lightly

regarding the content, i think i just liked shox better. soul was rapping kinda fast and that mixed with the accent probably made it so i missed a few references but whatever. overall this was really unique and kind of crazy to watch just based on how genuinely hard these dudes were really trying to beat each other, pause, so props to them for caring about doing their job and giving the crowd the entertainment they paid for.
mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #30
Shadowposter
Who you callin pinhead?

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Shadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time AntarcticaShadowposter is better than Grind Time Antarctica
How many British people think Soul won this??
Shadowposter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:32 PM   #31
Rusty Shackleford

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Rusty Shackleford is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowposter View Post
How many British people think Soul won this??
I did, but I really dug Soul's 3rd, thought it was a dope concept, and he 100% took the first. Could have been a 3-0, albeit a very close one, if he didn't start the second so slowly. I really wouldn't be mad at anyone saying Shox lost though

I actually think this was the best result, there was really nothing else for Soul to do as champ. He can move on now, battle Tony & internationals, and Shox can really build a name for himself as champ. Worked out best overall
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #32
Assassin Ben

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
Voted Shox, meant to vote SOUL

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChopChoiceBeats
www.facebook.com/ChopChoiceBeats

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. MF Doom
4. Notorious BIG
5. Rick Ross
Assassin Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #33
Cuntoffs are Jumps

Cuntoffs are Jumps is not the worst person
watches watch, revises opinion - posts here.
Cuntoffs are Jumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #34
erfworm

erfworm is better than Grind Time Australiaerfworm is better than Grind Time Australia
Its just a nice line fam its not that deep u fuckin dork
erfworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:07 PM   #35
Bwdawatt

Quote:
Its just a nice line fam its not that deep u fuckin dork
What makes a line 'nice' then? That was just an example to what I see in just about every Shox punch.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #36
Emancee

Quote:
What makes a line 'nice' then? That was just an example to what I see in just about every Shox punch.
It's a passable line and sure it got a bigger reaction than maybe it deserved, but c'mon cherry picking the soso lines doesn't make a point. For example, Soul explained that 'his pen is sectioned' and called Shox 'a co-main eventing peasant' and the crowd blew up. But c'mon who the hell would ever say THAT outside of the days of ye olde Britain?!? Does that mean Soul is gassed and overrated, probably not. You can say things in rap battles that you couldn't get away with in real life, factz...

Last edited by Emancee; 05-29-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:29 PM   #37
Bwdawatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
It's a passable line and sure it got a bigger reaction than maybe it deserved, but c'mon cherry picking the soso lines doesn't make a point. For example, Soul explained that 'his pen is sectioned' and called Shox 'a co-main eventing peasant' and the crowd blew up. But c'mon who the hell would ever say THAT outside of the days of ye olde Britain?!? Does that mean Soul is gassed and overrated, probably not. You can say things in rap battles that you couldn't get away with in real life, factz...
Like I suggested when I first mentioned it, I was using an example to prove the rule. I find the same problem with most of his bars. The Pacino and DeNiro line, the Back to the Future line, Gargamel, etc. People go crazy for them, but they just seem like bland movie references to me.

I think the Soul examples you used are different because it was part of a scheme where the novelty is "look how well I'm rapping". The content clearly wasn't the reason the crowd reacted.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #38
Jbruck420

Jbruck420 is not the worst person
Amazing battle on both sides. Preference battle. lol @ you lames criticizing either battler's approach.
Jbruck420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #39
Cabbagetown

Cabbagetown is not the worst person
Quote:
it's the first (?) Uk/Dont Flop battler that has this type of delivery

Yes, some of it is overhyped, but he owns it and gets the crowd on his side.

Lots of KOTD guys do this when they have a good crowd, and almost every URL battler does this

I think it's a breath of fresh air for DF who have incredible writers (Tony/Soul) and arguably the best comedians (Shufflo) and are now excited they have their own puncher i.e. K/Nitty/Ave/etc...
Cabbagetown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #40
Pavan

Pavan is a PY Poster
Stupid fucking crazy battle. Reminded me of Tony vs Shotty.
Definitely comes down to preference and could have gone either way.

Voted for Soul. The picture that he painted in his third round was amazing. To me at least, it was less about punches and more about creativity and stepping outside the box. His third round closer did it for me.
Pavan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags