Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
2020 Battler of the YEAR is......

Old 12-20-2020, 02:47 AM   #1
Profess
is consistently top 5

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
2020 Battler of the YEAR is......

Profess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:35 AM   #2
iamHBY

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
As far as the Champion Of The Year discussion, I'd say it comes down to either Chilla Jones or Ill Will.
iamHBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
Emancee

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
As far as the Champion Of The Year discussion, I'd say it comes down to either Chilla Jones or Ill Will.
Why do you think Chilla? Genuinely interested. I heard he did well at URL's last one, but Ill Will has had a year of consistently dope performances. No comparison for me.

I'd even put Day over Chilla. He only has one battle, but it has reignited everyone's belief in him.

EDIT: Watched the video and it seems that it was given to Chilla for being active a lot more than anything else.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...

Last edited by Emancee; 12-20-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Emancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #4
Felicity Halsey
Certified vet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Felicity Halsey is not the worst person
Dizaster is battler of the year. Haven't seen anyone else kill it all year. Plus 2020 hasn't released enough dope battles to mention.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 423 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
ill will, chilla or b dot id be fine with

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Why do you think Chilla? Genuinely interested. I heard he did well at URL's last one, but Ill Will has had a year of consistently dope performances. No comparison for me.

I'd even put Day over Chilla. He only has one battle, but it has reignited everyone's belief in him.

EDIT: Watched the video and it seems that it was given to Chilla for being active a lot more than anything else.
I think the thing that could potentially edge it to Chilla over Will is the caliber of competition Chilla battled in 2020, as well as the quality of the performances.

Don't get me wrong, Will's been extremely consistent all year, racking up great performances against 40 Cal, Don Marino, Dallas Cash, John John Da Don, Ms. Miami, Your Honor (the last 2 who he beat back to back in a 1st for anyone on URL) and Danny Myers, in addition to video battles against Shotty Horroh, T-Rex and Sha G. Meanwhile with Chilla in 2020, he battled Nu Jerzey Twork, Danja Zone in a video battle, Geechi Gotti, Jerry Wess, Real Sikh, CJA and B Dot. IMO, Chilla had a Battle Of The Year contender against Twork, and an insane performance against B Dot for example that I think might be enough to slightly put him ahead of Will.

I think Will had some insane performances against people like JJDD and Danny, but compared to his 2019 run where he had Battle Of The Year contenders for each league he competed on, as well as a higher caliber list of names he battled, I don't think his 2020 hit as high of points as he did in 2019, but if someone wants to give Will COTY for 2020, there's an argument to be made. I originally had it coming down to Chilla or B Dot for COTY, but B Dot's performance against Chilla on Volume 6 was really bad, while Will had an insane performance against Danny at that same event.

I really do think it comes down to quality of the performances, replay value of the performances, and the caliber of opponents faced in a calendar year. For example, on paper, K-Shine's opponents for 2020 should put him high up in the COTY discussion (he battled Charlie Clips, Chess, E. Hart and Pat Stay, with the consensus being he went undefeated this year), but I personally only have him in the Top 15 range just because there's many other battlers this year that've had more performances with replay value than Shine has had in 2020.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:40 AM   #7
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity Halsey View Post
Dizaster is battler of the year. Haven't seen anyone else kill it all year. Plus 2020 hasn't released enough dope battles to mention.
Honestly, as fun as it is to hate on Diz, Dizaster vs. Saurus must be one of the battle of the year contenders. If only Pete didn't choke most of his third round, it could've been a KOTD classic.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Old 12-21-2020, 01:45 AM   #8
Emancee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamHBY View Post
I think the thing that could potentially edge it to Chilla over Will is the caliber of competition Chilla battled in 2020, as well as the quality of the performances.

Don't get me wrong, Will's been extremely consistent all year, racking up great performances against 40 Cal, Don Marino, Dallas Cash, John John Da Don, Ms. Miami, Your Honor (the last 2 who he beat back to back in a 1st for anyone on URL) and Danny Myers, in addition to video battles against Shotty Horroh, T-Rex and Sha G. Meanwhile with Chilla in 2020, he battled Nu Jerzey Twork, Danja Zone in a video battle, Geechi Gotti, Jerry Wess, Real Sikh, CJA and B Dot. IMO, Chilla had a Battle Of The Year contender against Twork, and an insane performance against B Dot for example that I think might be enough to slightly put him ahead of Will.

I think Will had some insane performances against people like JJDD and Danny, but compared to his 2019 run where he had Battle Of The Year contenders for each league he competed on, as well as a higher caliber list of names he battled, I don't think his 2020 hit as high of points as he did in 2019, but if someone wants to give Will COTY for 2020, there's an argument to be made. I originally had it coming down to Chilla or B Dot for COTY, but B Dot's performance against Chilla on Volume 6 was really bad, while Will had an insane performance against Danny at that same event.

I really do think it comes down to quality of the performances, replay value of the performances, and the caliber of opponents faced in a calendar year. For example, on paper, K-Shine's opponents for 2020 should put him high up in the COTY discussion (he battled Charlie Clips, Chess, E. Hart and Pat Stay, with the consensus being he went undefeated this year), but I personally only have him in the Top 15 range just because there's many other battlers this year that've had more performances with replay value than Shine has had in 2020.
Thanks, I understand your thinking now. I have Will just because he beat guys that I think are dope, but unfortunately he got the half-assed versions of them. "I come to Manchester with the rage of my ancestors" was much too good to waste on that Shotty and he blew Rex out the water, but that doesn't mean a whole lot any more. But Will was so good that even though his opponents shit the bed, I still rewatch them. Then beating both JJTD (when he's good) and Danny is pretty crazy.

K-Shine is a funny one. He had some of the battles I've been waiting years to see, but I couldn't rewatch any of them. Clips was obviously too friendly with him to really go in on him and then to get that Pat Stay is just a tough break.

Last edited by Emancee; 12-21-2020 at 01:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:19 AM   #9
iamHBY

Quote:
Thanks, I understand your thinking now. I have Will just because he beat guys that I think are dope, but unfortunately he got the half-assed versions of them. "I come to Manchester with the rage of my ancestors" was much too good to waste on that Shotty and he blew Rex out the water, but that doesn't mean a whole lot any more. But Will was so good that even though his opponents shit the bed, I still rewatch them. Then beating both JJTD (when he's good) and Danny is pretty crazy.

K-Shine is a funny one. He had some of the battles I've been waiting years to see, but I couldn't rewatch any of them. Clips was obviously too friendly with him to really go in on him and then to get that Pat Stay is just a tough break.
Yeah, outside of 3 battles in the last 4 or so years (against Nu Jerzey Twork, Big T and O-Red), Will's consistently been one of the best names out, and more often than not, not only are you going to get a really good performance from him, but the battle he's in is usually a BOTN or BOTY contender. I'm not sure how much video battles factor in to the COTY/BOTY talk (I know in the past JayBlac has said he doesn't count stuff like one-rounders for the overall record of a battler in a year), but Will in those video battles was definitely someone who went all out material-wise.

And then with K-Shine, I think he fell victim to two things. One, opponents that didn't really prepare all that well (e.g.: What you said about Clips and Pat, E. Hart choking in the 3rd, etc.). Two, Shine also adopted a style in recent years that I don't think lends itself to replay value, as far as his rounds mostly consisting of energetic, straightforward back to back punches where the setup and punches are in the same bar, and name flips. You kinda get everything you need out of the performance in one watch.
Old 12-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #10
Felicity Halsey
Certified vet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Felicity Halsey is not the worst person
Quote:
Honestly, as fun as it is to hate on Diz, Dizaster vs. Saurus must be one of the battle of the year contenders. If only Pete didn't choke most of his third round, it could've been a KOTD classic.
I won't even get to see it till it's released in 2021