Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives > The Yard
UFC 203. CM Punk, Dirtbag Dan comments, etc

Old 09-15-2016, 03:02 AM   #1
grandgroove

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
UFC 203. CM Punk, Dirtbag Dan comments, etc

I'm a huge wrestling mark. I treat it the same way as I treat Game of Thrones - suspension of disbelief and entertainment.

I also love any form of MMA. It's incredible stuff., truly a sport.

Predicted CM Punk going down with the rear choke just as he did. An 'A' for heart/spirit but an 'F' for effort.

Dirtbag Dan posted a brief vlog bagging on wrestling fans, this and that. Similar to the stuff Joe Rogan drones on about when he's not talking about titties and nootropics.

Anyway, the floor is open. What's your take on the fight, pro wrestling vs MMA, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
The Kurgan

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
The Kurgan is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kurgan is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Kurgan is better than Grind Time Antarctica
@grandgroove 203 was a strange one on many levels. Pretty much agree about Punk.

SHITE performance, but I give him props for actually following through with the whole thing (specifically for accepting Gall as an opponent). I doubt he had no say in who he fought, and he could probably just as easily went with the Green power ranger or that Mike Jackson guy. Choosing to fight a BJJ brown belt (and a good one at that) as a white belt is pretty much accepting defeat the moment the fight hits the floor, and he must have known that. Not to mention the difference in experience and athleticism. But he gave it a dignified go.

A lot has been said about promotional malpractice and whether this hinders the competitive integrity of MMA or not, but I see at as a fun little curio/experiment, nothing more and nothing less. If the trend of chucking random celebrities in to the UFC continues, THEN we have a problem.

I find pro-wrestling fascinating from a distance, keep meaning to properly get back into it, but tbh I'm not really clued up on what the response from wrestling fans has been. What have they/DBD been saying?

Last edited by The Kurgan; 09-15-2016 at 11:46 PM.
The Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:27 PM   #3
CBA

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
I gotta be honest I think what Punk did set's wrestling back a few years. There's been a long history of bonafide tough guys in wrestling - CM Punk was not one of them. I can understand wanting to do the first fight on the big stage and the pay day was nice, but at the same time, if he took a fight in a much smaller league and had something competitive, or even actually won, it probably would've done a lot more for him. As of now he's just seen as a novelty, I can't imagine him being happy with that.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #4
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
I'm a fan of CM Punk in whatever he does so I think it's cool he was basically able to use his celebrity to live out a dream.

I hope MMA fans that aren't WWE fans realize a few things.... 95% of wrestling fans knew he had no chance, CM Punk knew he had no chance, and CM Punk did really put the work in. It also literally doubled the normal PPV buys of a PPV of that caliber and made a star of Mickey Gall. So it's not all bad.
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
5treet5truck
Loyalty Over $$$

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
5treet5truck is not the worst person
203 was trash. Heavy weight title fight was good.

if anyones surprised that a white belt got his ass beat by a brown belt.....

http://soundcloud.com/johndillin
5treet5truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:08 AM   #6
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
I thought CM Punk was trained in something on the side.
Allot of WWE stars have extensive amateur wrestling background.

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
grandgroove

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
grandgroove is better than Grind Time Australiagrandgroove is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kurgan View Post
@grandgroove 203 was a strange one on many levels. Pretty much agree about Punk.

SHITE performance, but I give him props for actually following through with the whole thing (specifically for accepting Gall as an opponent). I doubt he had no say in who he fought, and he could probably just as easily went with the Green power ranger or that Mike Jackson guy. Choosing to fight a BJJ brown belt (and a good one at that) as a white belt is pretty much accepting defeat the moment the fight hits the floor, and he must have known that. Not to mention the difference in experience and athleticism. But he gave it a dignified go.

A lot has been said about promotional malpractice and whether this hinders the competitive integrity of MMA or not, but I see at as a fun little curio/experiment, nothing more and nothing less. If the trend of chucking random celebrities in to the UFC continues, THEN we have a problem.

I find pro-wrestling fascinating from a distance, keep meaning to properly get back into it, but tbh I'm not really clued up on what the response from wrestling fans has been. What have they/DBD been saying?
Fantastic analysis! I'm with ya.

I don't follow current WWE like I did some years ago. Digging more into old school "rasslin" to learn about some old promotions, etc.

One thing MMA and pro wrestling have in common is their promotion and buildups to events. Often, the fighters are promoted with that 'face' and 'heel' feel.

Side note: I met a personal weight loss goal and am starting an entry-level BJJ conditioning class this weekend. Just for a new means of exercise that will be fun.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
grandgroove is offline   Reply With Quote