View Poll Results: who won
CARTER 7 17.95%
ICE 16 41.03%
THE FANS 16 41.03%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #41
iamHBY

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Ice bodied Carter's dad.
iamHBY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #42
Smrrr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Smrrr is not the worst person
the carter thing is starting to become a bit more stale i have to say after watching this or maybe it just doesnt work as good vs a guy like Ice. still a fun battle but expected a bit more from both
Smrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #43
Hanzaki

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Hanzaki is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Nah, carter is legit nice ah, no pun, I'm just saying I don't think ICE is fully in on the joke. Like, I think ICE just thinks its a style clash battle, not that he's being used as an avatar for a stereotype for people to ironically laugh at. I know kotd people fuck with him, and he fucks with them in return, especially since that's his meal ticket now. But the fact that so many die-hard kotd fans hate "URL/gun bar rappers" but love head ice shows to me they are exploiting him. The whole thing just looks like some modern day minstrelsy to me.

So yeah, the (kotd) fans definitely won this one.
Trust me ICE knew exactly what was happening here. He blew up on CAPS and Chris Unbais Review for dissing the match. He thinks Carter is a great writer and is underappreciated for his pen. He knows its a "style clash" but has also said that Carter out writes a lot of "street" battlers who use the same style. You'd be surprised how many rappers respect and like Carter. For example Gjonaj has said the same things as ICE about Carter. Don't attempt to take away ICE's agency and try and say he's being exploited. Come to an event and ask him in person.
Hanzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #44
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzaki View Post
Trust me ICE knew exactly what was happening here. He blew up on CAPS and Chris Unbais Review for dissing the match. He thinks Carter is a great writer and is underappreciated for his pen. He knows its a "style clash" but has also said that Carter out writes a lot of "street" battlers who use the same style. You'd be surprised how many rappers respect and like Carter. For example Gjonaj has said the same things as ICE about Carter. Don't attempt to take away ICE's agency and try and say he's being exploited. Come to an event and ask him in person.
I don't doubt for a second that there's mutual respect between head ice and carter deems. They're getting money and celebrity together, I get it. I think carter is a really creative dude and a dope ass writer. Ice is pretty good, too. It's not about the rappers. Every time someone tries to change what I'm saying to make it seem like I have a problem with the rappers I have to remind them that these battles don't exist in a vacuum where only the 2 guys rapping were able to observe it. The JR77 dude says that 99% of people think it's just a "funny style clash battle". Well, there's two problems with that. One, I think the reason why people find it to be a funny match up is playing on racial and cultural prejudices. Innocent as some people may think they are in wanting to see this, it leads me to the second point: 99% is too high of a guess. I'd imagine that MOST people think that it's just funny to put the big black gangster against the nice, mild-mannered white guy, and why they think that's funny is problematic on it's own, but a good amount of people also see it as emasculating the black guy and boosting up the white guy that they identify with. I can't give you a percentage, but I'm positive that it's more than 1%. Just in general, at best, the battle is based on a hack premise, and at worst, appeals to some people subconscious desire to a big scary black man emasculated. That's just my opinion, tho.

Also, people should stop trying to tell me that I need to talk to these rappers in person as if I want wanted to go to a kotd event. If I hadn't made it clear, I don't like battles like these, why would I spend money and a whole day going out to see them live? Makes zero sense.

Speaking of hack premises, the idea of the battle reminds me of this type of shit

Say I'm reaching if you want. Idc. Enjoy your guys show.

Last edited by 6000GP; 06-03-2016 at 06:07 PM.
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:30 PM   #45
Hanzaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
I'd imagine that MOST people think that it's just funny to put the big black gangster against the nice, mild-mannered white guy, and why they think that's funny is problematic on it's own, but a good amount of people also see it as emasculating the black guy and boosting up the white guy that they identify with.
I could see what you are saying more if it was ICE vs Charron or someone who would attempt to or could emasculate ICE but I can't see Carter even trying to do that, and he didn't. To me this battle has a lot more in common with Pat vs Nils then Charron vs Suge or whoever. No worries though, everyone doesn't have to enjoy it or agree with it. I thought it was a fun battle and I enjoyed the atmosphere but if it's not for you there are plenty of battles to watch.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #46
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzaki View Post
I could see what you are saying more if it was ICE vs Charron or someone who would attempt to or could emasculate ICE but I can't see Carter even trying to do that, and he didn't. To me this battle has a lot more in common with Pat vs Nils then Charron vs Suge or whoever. No worries though, everyone doesn't have to enjoy it or agree with it. I thought it was a fun battle and I enjoyed the atmosphere but if it's not for you there are plenty of battles to watch.
The narrative in the Shirley Temple movies wasnt that she was trying to emasculate Bill Robinson, either. I think you missed my point on that, but you're right about there being plenty of other battles, I just think it's kinda fucked up that this battle even happened at all. I say with kotd, the fresh coast, and some of their die-hard fans history of, and propensity toward racist practices in mind.
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #47
JR77

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
JR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJR77 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I think it's a funny battle because both these guys bring a lot of absurd humour, just with completely different styles
ICE vs Swave was, on paper, a battle between "two big black gangsters" and the guy decided to talk about homefries
Plus they clearly respect each other
That's completely different from Carter vs Suge or Calicoe for example, which would probably be horrible. As would Carter vs Skelly.
JR77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #48
Blaze Won
Gravy Crockett

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Blaze Won is not the worst person
I actually feel you @6000GP
i think there is a little bit of exploitation but i also believe ice knows what he's doing too.

Only think i was saying was is i don't think ice is fully aware on why people like carter. Saying he respects him as a writer doesnt do carter justice. I dont think ice gets that almost all of deem's bars are pretty much just puns with battle rap structure wrapped around them lol
Old 06-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #49
iamHBY

iamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time AntarcticaiamHBY is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR77 View Post
I think it's a funny battle because both these guys bring a lot of absurd humour, just with completely different styles
ICE vs Swave was, on paper, a battle between "two big black gangsters" and the guy decided to talk about homefries
Plus they clearly respect each other
That's completely different from Carter vs Suge or Calicoe for example, which would probably be horrible. As would Carter vs Skelly.
Bingo.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #50
gregrieke20
Media

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
gregrieke20 is not the worst person
No idea how so many otherwise intelligent people find Carter Deems funny…it's like he's the "How I Met Your Mother" of battle rappers.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #51
gregrieke20
Media

I don't believe what GP's saying is happening in this instance, but it's definitely happened in battle rap before. Like a little too often tbh.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #52
Seanzo
We in here

Mentioned: 2902 Post(s)
Seanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local leagueSeanzo is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrieke20 View Post
No idea how so many otherwise intelligent people find Carter Deems funny…it's like he's the "How I Met Your Mother" of battle rappers.
Man, that's the meanest thing you could've called Carter, sans maybe the "Big Bang Theory". If you even begin to imply that Carter is a Ted Mosby, I'll steal one of your cardigans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Hell yeah, about to smoke some weed from my special gandalf replica pipe and watch this
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialOh;

and jewish people dont eat beef so ur definitely not right on that 1
Seanzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #53
Hanzaki

Quote:
I don't believe what GP's saying is happening in this instance, but it's definitely happened in battle rap before. Like a little too often tbh.
Yeah, that's basically what I was saying.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:33 PM   #54
iamHBY

I dunno why GP's so adamant about trying to make this a race thing, it was a fun battle on both sides. Also, Carter's like the Community of battle rap.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:52 AM   #55
Carter Deems
Young Cat Hoarder

Carter Deems is a PY Poster
Quote:
This is the meanest thing anyone has ever said to me and I was severely bullied from age 8-16. I've never tried to make someone "get" my sense of humor and I'm not doing it now, but the comparison indicates that you think I'm going for the basic jokes. In battle rap, the dick, mom and gay jokes (all of which Ice used) are the low hanging comedy fruit. I consciously avoid those topics and try to include humor in topics that are foreign to the battle scene. And it doesn't always work.

Tbf, I make myself cringe at times, and think did I really say that.

Ice definitely 3-0 and I'm not fishing for compliments.

Writing a serious post about battle rap stinx.
Carter Deems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:33 AM   #56
mike rigs
#trusttheplug

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
mike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarcticamike rigs is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Deems View Post
This is the meanest thing anyone has ever said to me and I was severely bullied from age 8-16. I've never tried to make someone "get" my sense of humor and I'm not doing it now, but the comparison indicates that you think I'm going for the basic jokes. In battle rap, the dick, mom and gay jokes (all of which Ice used) are the low hanging comedy fruit. I consciously avoid those topics and try to include humor in topics that are foreign to the battle scene. And it doesn't always work.

you should come on here more often, and talk to the people that support you. when you ignore all the love you get and only focus on a few comments you don't like, it probably doesn't make your supporters feel good either.

i'll be in ATL sunday, look forward to seeing your battle!!!
mike rigs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 02:56 AM   #57
gregrieke20
Media

Quote:

It's not the subject matter of the jokes (or at least not entirely), but more so the overall shtick of your "character". Like I get it, you're not actually a rapper and its "ironic" cuz you're a well-mannered white guy so the whole thing is very "whacky". Cats and peanut butter and snow angels, get it?! Cuz those things ARENT generally associated with hip hop. Yes, I get it. Its just all very obvious imo.

That said, I'm not trying to be a dick, because you clearly have a strong following and you've found a lane and it's certainly working. You also genuinely seem like a very sweet person so I'd never purposely try and be mean, I just think maybe carter deems isn't for me. And yes I know the first paragraph of this post was relatively asshole-ish, but I really didn't mean for it to be, moreso just to explain my reasonings or whatever.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:59 AM   #58
Carter Deems
Young Cat Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike rigs View Post
you should come on here more often, and talk to the people that support you. when you ignore all the love you get and only focus on a few comments you don't like, it probably doesn't make your supporters feel good either.

i'll be in ATL sunday, look forward to seeing your battle!!!
Dang it, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk. It does look bad to not comment on here in two years and then write a thesis defending myself. I'm sorry guys. I really do appreciate everyone's support and I'm going to buy you a slice of pizza on Sunday.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:03 AM   #59
Carter Deems
Young Cat Hoarder

Quote:
It's not the subject matter of the jokes (or at least not entirely), but more so the overall shtick of your "character". Like I get it, you're not actually a rapper and its "ironic" cuz you're a well-mannered white guy so the whole thing is very "whacky". Cats and peanut butter and snow angels, get it?! Cuz those things ARENT generally associated with hip hop. Yes, I get it. Its just all very obvious imo.

That said, I'm not trying to be a dick, because you clearly have a strong following and you've found a lane and it's certainly working. You also genuinely seem like a very sweet person so I'd never purposely try and be mean, I just think maybe carter deems isn't for me. And yes I know the first paragraph of this post was relatively asshole-ish, but I really didn't mean for it to be, moreso just to explain my reasonings or whatever.
You're totally off base, I've never rapped about snow angels. And I never will.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:07 AM   #60
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Good battle but will probably never watch again one of those
youdontwannabethatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:22 AM   #61
gregrieke20
Media

Quote:
You're totally off base, I've never rapped about snow angels. And I never will.
Lol, naw man. There's plenty of great/funny posters on here that I think are hilarious, that think you are hilarious, so idk, maybe I'm just missing something or some shit. I guess like, I see people say you're the American Marlo and shuffle t, and I just don't see it. Like I think those guys are fuckin hilarious, so maybe it just simply is what it is. Like I guess we're just better off as friends .
Old 06-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #62
zonal

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
zonal is not the worst person
Its funny to me how bitter people are about the difference between the two rappers. I thought there was a certain logic to it because ice says some of the strangest things out of all the street rappers.

I dont really understand how ice was being exploited but its not so so good to see that some of you think so little of his intelligence that you think he couldnt possibly understand a battle he was in and that the whole battle was set up to make him, specifically, look like a joke.

This was one of the funnest recent battles. Might even be rewatchable.
zonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #63
Hanzaki

Quote:
Dang it, I didn't mean to come across as a jerk. It does look bad to not comment on here in two years and then write a thesis defending myself. I'm sorry guys. I really do appreciate everyone's support and I'm going to buy you a slice of pizza on Sunday.
I'm glad you are posting again though, you should keep it up. Gjonaj said you would be too hard to battle, so baring him who do you want to battle next?
Old 06-05-2016, 01:24 AM   #64
CBA

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
I really feel bd for the dudes that watched this battle and got offended and think people are being exploited. It must be hard watching these types of battles, being miserable and angry, while 99% of the viewers had fun checking it out.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:45 AM   #65
iamHBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post
I really feel bd for the dudes that watched this battle and got offended and think people are being exploited. It must be hard watching these types of battles, being miserable and angry, while 99% of the viewers had fun checking it out.
Pretty much yeah. I feel like this is a battle I can show to new fans.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #66
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA View Post
This, lol. Have people forgot that it was ICE that set this battle up? According to Organik's AMA, ICE actually rang up Organik and requested Carter Deems, a match that had never occurred to Organik.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #67
tatertot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
tatertot is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze Won View Post
I dont think ice gets that almost all of deem's bars are pretty much just puns with battle rap structure wrapped around them lol
This describes 100% of "wordplay" rappers' styles.
tatertot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #68
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Yet another style clash and guess what? It doesn't really work at all, I found this really hard to get through. These types of battles should feel like a clash, not a cypher where both guys are just rapping whatever they want to regardless of what the other does. ICE won pretty easily though.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #69
sleeping dogs

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
sleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australiasleeping dogs is better than Grind Time Australia
ice won this, but "ice creamed in the future like dippin dots" was nice
the market sold imaginations just to keep you in the dark"

top 5: tay roc, tsu surf, hollow, loaded lux, soul
sleeping dogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #70
Assassin Ben

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
Ice's first round must be in the Hall of Fame, sheesh!

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChopChoiceBeats
www.facebook.com/ChopChoiceBeats

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. MF Doom
4. Notorious BIG
5. Rick Ross
Assassin Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #71
Assassin Ben

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Assassin Ben is better than Grind Time AustraliaAssassin Ben is better than Grind Time Australia
It's funny, I saw a lot of similarity between Ice's style and Carter Deems. Carter has some crazy lines, Ice was a lot of his bars

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChopChoiceBeats
www.facebook.com/ChopChoiceBeats

1. Nas
2. Pharoahe Monch
3. MF Doom
4. Notorious BIG
5. Rick Ross
Assassin Ben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #72
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Most "entertainment" merchants I've encountered, exploit individuals and or entire sections of the population, often on behalf of their sponsors or investors. KOTD is no different. 6000's correct on that. But at least KOTD balances its unscrupulousness with some equitable intentions, like providing a few working-class men with a lawful income, whereas in this era more and more channels and media outlets are nothing but predatory tabloidesque trouble-makers.

Last edited by My Kall; 06-07-2016 at 06:46 PM.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
128533, 55357, 56853, b2b4