Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Is battle rap even cool?


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2020, 05:41 AM   #1
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Is it time for Battle Rap to Evolve?

Disclaimer: Nothing that I wrote here is referring to the URL.. I don't watch the URL and know nothing about it

Let's talk about the elephant in the room... Battle rap is not cool. Please don't take this thread the wrong way, I love battle rap, I just wish it would evolve

That's why you don't see a new generation of battle rappers, it's the same generation of people all together, like a graduating class (more or less) that meets up for parties

Why? Because at some point, battle rap stopped being cool... It probably had something to do with dads in hats rapping for minutes on end in weird associative wordplay that future generations couldn't be bothered to decode, much less become a fan... Battle rap has become the rap equivalent of a dad joke

Or maybe it was the dads in hats lecturing each other for entire long-winded rounds about "I can't believe you live your life this way, smarten up, mister!"

It probably had something to do with the focus on writing over style... and rounds that go on wayyyy too long... the majority of the next gen don't care about "great writing' - and never did.... I know I didn't care when I got into battle rap, I wanted style, personality and I wanted to have fun....

Sure, performance matters, angles matter... But that's what we see, it's not what an outsider sees... You know what they see?

They see a writing competition... For most people, writing competitions aren't cool or interesting.. That's why battle rap hasn't had a "next gen" since it became (from an outsider's perspective) a writing competition

Writing in a detailed and long-winded way is not interesting to most people, who prefer to get points across in images and succinct sentences that say a lot in as few words as possible --- In 2020, most people would rather view / make memes rather than watch a writing competition... A live meme battle has more potential than a writing competition in 2020

And rappers would rather just rap and post videos / photos on social media than waste time in a rap battle that nobody would watch

I always said the obsession with virtuoso levels of inticate writing over style and the actual fun-factor and competition of battling would be it's demise.. I hope I'm wrong about that


Should battle rap evolve?

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-24-2020 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Want to make thread less negative
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
Emancee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 5,431
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Nope. When Pat Stay was making that joke about rather his girl catching him watching porn than watching a wack rap battle, everyone was laughing... but secretly thinking how right he was.
__________________
Autoloss list:
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...

Last edited by Emancee; 09-24-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird
 
Abstrakt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,144
Mentioned: 422 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Battle rap is The definition of guilty pleasure.

For the most part, I keep it under my hat. But I was excited when I found out a friend of mine was into it. It’s basically low-brow entertainment but there are elements which make it interesting and there are different elements which “I” think are “cool”.

That said, I’m not “proud” to be a battle rap fan. I’m embarrassed. Because it brings together a lot of people from the lowest common denominator.

You guys are cool tho.
__________________
GOAT

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt View Post
Battle rap is The definition of guilty pleasure.

For the most part, I keep it under my hat. But I was excited when I found out a friend of mine was into it. It’s basically low-brow entertainment but there are elements which make it interesting and there are different elements which “I” think are “cool”.

That said, I’m not “proud” to be a battle rap fan. I’m embarrassed. Because it brings together a lot of people from the lowest common denominator.

You guys are cool tho.
I agree - And I actually think it was genuinely cool before it became a writing contest

Like, if I won scribble jam, I wouldn't be embarrassed to show a video clip of that to the people
I know - I would be proud

If I won the KOTD competitive writing contest, I wouldn't tell anyone about it and I would hide the chain

It could be a lot more cool if it were about style and rapping over writing.. Nothing wrong with battle rapping, it's the competitive writing contest emphasis that makes it uncool imo... Like.. You wrote that... Practiced rapping it alone by yourself in front of a mirror for weeks... The more elaborate the writing becomes, the more wack it seems... the 2009-2012 written battling was acceptable imo because it wasn't so painfully obvious because the writing was simpler and the rounds were shorter

Freestyle battling - totally different story - That's respected - It's a rapping contest and will always be respected as such

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-24-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
definetly not first event i ever went to spent ages trying to get mates to go , 8 years later i woudln't dare invite anyone i know outside of battle rap to one
__________________
Only canadians like Lil G
youdontwannabethatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
Uza
VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Uza is not the worst person
This is absolutely the case for 95% of battle rap.
Uza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #7
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings
 
SonnyDaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 3,858
Mentioned: 945 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
I think battle rap is as cool as it's ever been but I personally find it far less interesting and engaging than I did back in the day.

As someone who got into battle rap through GT, I learned to appreciate lots of different styles and grew to desire a variety of styles when taking in a high volume of battles as a fan.

That variety just isn't there anymore, at least not within the scene's most prominent battles. I never felt embarrassed to show battles to a diverse friend group over the years though. My father-in-law was a battle rap fan and we had lots of conversations about new battles.

I'd still gladly discuss battles with anyone who was interested; I just don't really care enough about battle rap these days to initiate those chats.
SonnyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
vokab206
Battle Rapper
 
vokab206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyDaze View Post
I think battle rap is as cool as it's ever been but I personally find it far less interesting and engaging than I did back in the day.

As someone who got into battle rap through GT, I learned to appreciate lots of different styles and grew to desire a variety of styles when taking in a high volume of battles as a fan.

That variety just isn't there anymore, at least not within the scene's most prominent battles. I never felt embarrassed to show battles to a diverse friend group over the years though. My father-in-law was a battle rap fan and we had lots of conversations about new battles.

I'd still gladly discuss battles with anyone who was interested; I just don't really care enough about battle rap these days to initiate those chats.
Very accurate take my friend.
__________________
Verse Tracker:
https://versetracker.com/search-resu...arch-key=vokab

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #9
Profess
I am the Chef
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,900
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Evolve, or devolve?
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:35 PM   #10
clapburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
clapburn is a PY Poster
Battle rap is great. Stop being a nerd
clapburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:59 PM   #11
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
Evolve, or devolve?
What do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontwannabethatguy View Post
definetly not first event i ever went to spent ages trying to get mates to go , 8 years later i woudln't dare invite anyone i know outside of battle rap to one
This guy really points to the heart of the problem... Battle rap is the only aspect of hip hop culture that's totally unpresentable to 99.999% of the population.. And everyone going to act like it's okay because "the writing's better than it was in the previous era"?


I love battle rap and I'd rather watch battlebots than watch 99% of rap battles that come out nowadays... If I felt like appreciating great writing I'd rather go on Genius.com and study lyrics of great rappers and listen to their songs

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-25-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:09 AM   #12
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapburn View Post
Battle rap is great. Stop being a nerd
If you enjoy it, that's great.. I don't

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-25-2020 at 12:17 AM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:59 AM   #13
clapburn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
clapburn is a PY Poster
Arcane mage guaranteed
clapburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:57 AM   #14
Profess
I am the Chef
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,900
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
What do you think?



This guy really points to the heart of the problem... Battle rap is the only aspect of hip hop culture that's totally unpresentable to 99.999% of the population.. And everyone going to act like it's okay because "the writing's better than it was in the previous era"?


I love battle rap and I'd rather watch battlebots than watch 99% of rap battles that come out nowadays... If I felt like appreciating great writing I'd rather go on Genius.com and study lyrics of great rappers and listen to their songs
I think that the title would make sense if it said devolve because the post express an affection for the previous era. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Personally, I view devolution as counterproductive because I'm an advocate of moving forward. It might be too soon to say that KOTD us moving forward in the right direction. But I suspect they are because they didn't cancel Avo.. he is filming the Twitch events. I suspect that Jordan Peterson would be proud of their courage.. and not just because of an alleged Toronto bias

Salute
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:04 AM   #15
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
I think that the title would make sense if it said devolve because the post express an affection for the previous era. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Personally, I view devolution as counterproductive because I'm an advocate of moving forward. It might be too soon to say that KOTD us moving forward in the right direction. But I suspect they are because they didn't cancel Avo.. he is filming the Twitch events. I suspect that Jordan Peterson would be proud of their courage.. and not just because of an alleged Toronto bias

Salute
Devolve and Evolve aren't the same thing as "back and forward".. I know you know that but I'm not thinking about this as simply as you think I am -- The reason I said "evolve", is because I expressed openness to doing something different than what's ever been done before, rather than just rehash the past..

Just because I think we can learn from the past (by seeing what worked well) doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to try recreate it...

On the contrary battle rap should keep up with the times -- The "new way" of doing things is not actually new at all, it's been the same shit for 8 years an it's just as "old fashioned" as the previous eras were..

Just because we are stuck with the same shit in 2020 doesn't mean it's fresh or advanced

In 2020 nobody is going to listen to an acapella (lol) writing competition where rounds are 3 minutes and filled with intricate wordplay and references - That's not cool by any standard except for a very niche fanbase, and it's not even fun or exciting for many people within that narrow fanbase -- I guess URL has their lane and I'm assuming it works for them

but with KOTD it just seems painfully stale and boring...

But what about this grand prix? I'd love to give the battles a shot but I couldn't even find them on the twitch page

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-25-2020 at 04:29 AM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #16
Profess
I am the Chef
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,900
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
Devolve and Evolve aren't the same thing as "back and forward".. I know you know that but I'm not thinking about this as simply as you think I am -- The reason I said "evolve", is because I expressed openness to doing something different than what's ever been done before, rather than just rehash the past..

Just because I think we can learn from the past (by seeing what worked well) doesn't mean I think it's a good idea to try recreate it...

On the contrary battle rap should keep up with the times -- The "new way" of doing things is not actually new at all, it's been the same shit for 8 years an it's just as "old fashioned" as the previous eras were..

Just because we are stuck with the same shit in 2020 doesn't mean it's fresh or advanced

In 2020 nobody is going to listen to an acapella (lol) writing competition where rounds are 3 minutes and filled with intricate wordplay and references - That's not cool by any standard except for a very niche fanbase, and it's not even fun or exciting for many people within that narrow fanbase -- I guess URL has their lane and I'm assuming it works for them

but with KOTD it just seems painfully stale and boring...

But what about this grand prix? I'd love to give the battles a shot but I couldn't even find them on the twitch page
I hear what you are saying and when you put it like that evolve clearly makes sense. I think RBE evolved the style a bit due to social distancing. For example, the battler generated vids that constituted their rounds. Granted, most were poorly produced but 40 Cal put out an innovative product as did some guy that roasted Charron.

Did you watch the Math vs Method Man battle? That one is def a change of pace stylistically.

But the elephant in the room.. KOTD is evolving with the times by going to live stream. But is battle rap cool... I suspect we'll find out depending on if the cool teenagers that are taste making on twitch embrace it or not
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #17
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
I suspect we'll find out depending on if the cool teenagers that are taste making on twitch embrace it or not
They won't...

Most people don't like wordplay at all unless its for a joke(and even then often corny), but battle rap is filled with wordplay with serious intent which most of the population on this planet thinks is weird and dull

They'd rather see a meme battle - People today, especially teenagers are far too visual in communication to enjoy the current style of battling, they care more about brevity, saying something perfectly in as few words as possible in a quick "back and forth" way...

Someone like Conceited has always been highly marketable for battle rap for this exact reason, but the the battle rap conoisseurs / hipsters dismissed him as corny... Because he's funny... What's wrong with that? What's corny is taking this seriously as an artform, and reciting intricate rhyming speeches for 3 minutes acapella, that's something I'd expect an ancient civilization like the Greeks to do... Like when Math was on the news, saying battle rap wordplay is "like Shakespeare"... and how he rapped about symbolism in the bible... UHHHH.. that's not a good thing...

...Because right now, those 3 minute acapella rounds, more often than not, sound too much like speeches, even if they done through rapping

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-25-2020 at 06:44 AM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #18
vokab206
Battle Rapper
 
vokab206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
It's cool to go to the events and hang out and watch way more than watching it online. It's boring to watch at home. That's why back in the day I went to almost all the BOTBs and was able to spend a whole day watching 10-15 battles instead of spacing it out online at home.
__________________
Verse Tracker:
https://versetracker.com/search-resu...arch-key=vokab

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #19
Emancee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 5,431
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokab206 View Post
It's cool to go to the events and hang out and watch way more than watching it online. It's boring to watch at home. That's why back in the day I went to almost all the BOTBs and was able to spend a whole day watching 10-15 battles instead of spacing it out online at home.
This is hiphop to a tee. I'm really into breaking, but watching videos of breaking is just so boring. An actual jam is amazing.

A similar thing goes for the intense rappers like Diz, Ars etc. Seeing them live is very different to seeing them on video.
__________________
Autoloss list:
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #20
vokab206
Battle Rapper
 
vokab206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
This is hiphop to a tee. I'm really into breaking, but watching videos of breaking is just so boring. An actual jam is amazing.

A similar thing goes for the intense rappers like Diz, Ars etc. Seeing them live is very different to seeing them on video.
Exactly. Even streaming live isn't the same as going to the event.
__________________
Verse Tracker:
https://versetracker.com/search-resu...arch-key=vokab

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #21
Serge T
Magitek Mayhem
 
Serge T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4,030
Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Serge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local leagueSerge T is a vet in their local league
It's actually very cool idk wtf some of you guys are ashamed of. It's hiphop at its finest, and putting on hiphop heads to battles is great.
Serge T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:04 AM   #22
6000GP
tupac back
 
6000GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,036
Mentioned: 570 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
"I can't believe you live your life this way, smarten up, mister!" ?
Haha

I didnít think about it until just now, but itís actually only been since Covid that I started getting back into battle rap. But yeah, battle rap might be cooler than itís ever been imo. I know you said you donít follow the URL side of things, but itís hard for me to think about battle rap and not factor in the biggest, most influential institution. I havenít been keeping up with it that much over the past few years, save for some of the more high-profile events and matchups, but it was definitely a lot more geeky before than it is now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
honestly i dont even watch battles , i listen to the audio while staring into the mirror at my own reactions
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:09 AM   #23
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge T View Post
It's actually very cool idk wtf some of you guys are ashamed of. It's hiphop at its finest, and putting on hiphop heads to battles is great.
It's not shame, it's just social awkwardness... Like it would actually be socially awkward to show someone most recent battles, even someone who is into hip hop.. It's even socially awkward to show it to people I know who were into battling during the freestyle era

Socially awkward for the same reason that showing someone a Shakespeare play or some japanese anime that lacks universal appeal would be socially awkward, they just wouldn't react or enjoy it and I'd feel like I'm wasting their time and maybe even making someone feel stupid, maybe myself

My friends would rather listen to rap than watch any modern battle, I mean you could listen to entire classic rap album with your friends in the time that it takes to finish 1-2 modern battles... And you could be doing other activities you enjoy while you do it...

A big problem is that the dominant style in modern battling is heavy on wordplay... I don't know anyone IRL who listens to hip hop and likes overly intricate wordplay... Unless they like it ironically, which is why I could show them a Conceited battle, because you can like Conceited ironically and his writing is accessible

The only wordplay enthusiasts I have ever met are dads who make dad jokes

And I don't know anyone into hip hop who likes "real talk" rounds where they tell someone "Smarten up, mister" - Anyone I know who listens to rap couldn't care less about a dad in a hat lecturing another dad in a hat... They don't care about personal angles either... All of the people I know who like rap like it because it's cool and sounds cool

Again -- Nothing I say applies to URL because that's something I know nothing about..

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-26-2020 at 12:29 AM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:18 AM   #24
6000GP
tupac back
 
6000GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northern California
Posts: 9,036
Mentioned: 570 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
It's not shame, it's just social awkwardness... Like it would actually be socially awkward to show someone most battles, even someone who is into hip hop.. It's even socially awkward to show it to people I know who were into battling during the freestyle era

Socially awkward for the same reason that showing someone a Shakespeare play or some japanese anime would be socially awkward, they just wouldn't react or enjoy it and I'd feel like I'm wasting their time and maybe even making someone feel stupid, maybe myself
Back in the day when I was a battle rap fanatic, I would sometimes show my friends/fam battles and they would be unimpressed, and they might have thought I was crazy or something. Over the past few years, I’ve seen more battles clips shared by friends/fam or sent to me in messages or what-have-you and I’m the one looking at them kinda like “why are you showing me this shit?” Off the strength of little things like that, I’m kinda leaning more toward its popularity increasing, and what’s popular is more or less also cool in a lot of cases. Particularly wrt culture type stuff.

*edit

Having said that, it’s not kotd/ibattle/grind time type shit that ppl are sending me
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
honestly i dont even watch battles , i listen to the audio while staring into the mirror at my own reactions

Last edited by 6000GP; 09-26-2020 at 12:22 AM.
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:40 AM   #25
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post

Having said that, it’s not kotd/ibattle/grind time type shit that ppl are sending me
Yeah that's interesting... Yeah I don't know anything about URL at all, and all of the people into hip hop that I know are skaters / backpackers / graff artists

I saw that 5 minutes battle with Method Man and Math and I loved it
@Profess
Yeah so Profess you asked what I think about this battle, I love it, I think this should change the game, this is very close to what I envisoned

-editing on point
-oozing with style
-background music or beat
-fast and furious, quality over quantity

Yep it checks off all the boxes, this is something I could actually show to other people, especially since Method Man is in it

My biggest requirement for anything in hip hop is that it has to look and sound cool, and you have to look cool doing it, if those requirements aren't met, I don't care how much wordplay or real talk you wrote into your rounds

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-26-2020 at 12:44 AM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:45 AM   #26
murkfest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
murkfest is a PY Poster
Haven't posted here in years but this is an interesting thread I wanted to hop in.

I don't follow battle rap as much as I used to back in the day (Grind Time/early KOTD era) but one thing I find fascinating about it is how most of the people who are into it and participating in it now are seemingly the same people who were into it and participating 10-15 years ago. This gives battle rap a certain familiarity that fans can relate to (I still love watching Lush One's reactions... it gives me that "this shit never left" vibe) but probably makes it hard to lure new fans in. It's kinda the opposite of music in a sense that every few years, some new music trend(s) will pop up, almost always driven by a totally new generation of artists and fans who are usually very young. Like even if you look at a younger battler like Frak who just had his biggest battle, dude is 26. Hitting your stride in music at 26 would probably be considered a late bloomer (this is no shade at him, I think he's very talented and I wish him the best of luck with both his music and battling career). And most of the active OG's now are in their mid-late 30s.

I think older battles in this format were for sure more accessible. The shorter rounds, the more laid-back demeanors, the humor-oriented lines based on battlers' appearances, etc etc as opposed to this super intricate wordplay-heavy aggressive style. I remember back in the day telling someone I was really into rap battles and he said "you mean like with unknown rappers"? Since that's basically what everyone sees these battlers as upon first view, personality is definitely a key factor for luring people in. The kind of attributes that make people famous (or pseudo-famous).

Look at a battle like Dumbfoundead vs. Illusion-Z for example, it's a dude who is (presumed to be) Mexican based on his appearance (even though he's not) and an Asian dude (usually presumed to be Chinese even though he's not). If someone who has never watched battles before watches that battle, that's all they're going to see. Dumb brought the Mexican jokes, Illusion brought the Asian jokes. That's all that was needed to appeal to the new fans. Sure, there were a couple of inside references to appease the hardcore battle heads (like in that battle, Dumb references Emcee Goddess... how many of the 1.2 million people who watched that battle know who Emcee Goddess is I wonder? Lol). But for the most part, both of them stuck with the aforementioned script. It's like when you first meet someone, you start off with small talk, maybe crack a couple jokes, instead of diving right into all the deep/heavy stuff (super intricate wordplay). For this reason, I think it is hard to lure in new fans if they are just being exposed to newer battles.

And I feel Water Mage with the socially awkward thing... most people just won't get it when you say you are into battles. Especially if you are a hardcore battle aficionado. They just won't understand why you would be so invested in analyzing and dissecting man poems. With that said, the writing aspect of battling is still probably my favorite part (I've always been into writing) and I think modern battle rappers are some of the best writers out there.

Also the fact that modern battling remains a weird/niche thing isn't necessarily a bad thing at all. Some things aren't meant to be mainstream. (and I do consider battle rap far from mainstream... mainstream artists will have at least 100M views on a single video, no battle rapper excluding the Fliptop guys and Oxxxymiron even has that many views on all their battles combined... Arsonal is probably the closest).

Last edited by murkfest; 09-26-2020 at 02:11 AM.
murkfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:13 AM   #27
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird
 
Abstrakt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,144
Mentioned: 422 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge T View Post
It's actually very cool idk wtf some of you guys are ashamed of. It's hiphop at its finest, and putting on hiphop heads to battles is great.
maybe i didnt explain myself properly. there are elements of battling that are cool but a lot of it is a guilty pleasure.
__________________
GOAT

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 04:59 AM   #28
Slug2003
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Slug2003 is not the worst person
Bring back Scribble Jam.
Slug2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:28 AM   #29
Emancee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 5,431
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug2003 View Post
Bring back Scribble Jam.
Tourettes was going strong until fairly recently. Considering how much this thread seems to value that style, funny how few views it got... The Frak battles have genuinely double figure views.
__________________
Autoloss list:
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...

Last edited by Emancee; 09-26-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:21 PM   #30
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird
 
Abstrakt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,144
Mentioned: 422 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
another element of battle rap i find interesting is how inconsistent/hypocritical i find myself being a fan of this shit. for example, i find dizaster's performance vs a class to be one of his best... however, it's extremely offensive and i feel uncomfortable when battlers have homophobic bars. so basically, i'm cool with the asian jokes but not with the homophobic shit. RIGHT? wrong... i guess i appreciate offensive bars if theyre done well but still im inconsistent in my reasoning.

so i guess my point is, it's hard to be consistent as a fan, you like what you like. but if you had to come up with logic for why you felt a certain way, it'd be difficult.

i like how nuanced battle rap can be. sometimes you just like certain battlers/performances but it's hard to explain why.
__________________
GOAT

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #31
Feral Linguist
otbva
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Being worried about what is 'cool'
Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #32
Profess
I am the Chef
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,900
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I don't think Mage is worried about battle rap being cool or not. I suspect he's asking because he thinks that's it's moved away from it's counter culture roots.. but he's not sure if he's just getting old
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #33
CBA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,282
Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
CBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICECBA is NICE
I think it was more entertaining when there was a simplicity aspect to it. It was clearly easy to follow and pick up on the majority of the jokes, if someone is watching it for the first time today, I gotta imagine it would be weird as hell trying to understand the punchlines and why they are significant. There's also an element of the past here, to understand many of the top battles, you had to have watched other battles. This wasn't too over the top when battles were 10 minutes, but now that they are 45 to 60 minutes long.... unless you have an extreme amount of free time on your hands I just can't picture people being interested.

As silly as it is to say it, Math Hoffa punching Dose was probably one of the biggest moves ever in battle rap, in terms of generating popularity. I mean really, for beginners there's a huge allure to seeing these guys be disrespectful and wonder if something is going to pop off. Outside of that most beginners just want to see a lot of humor. I think that's why Grind Time was as popular as it was - dude's just getting high and saying funny shit, and the top guys could do it amazingly well.

I think battle rap has gone the WWE route, where it's not really interesting for casual viewers most of the time. Once it becomes this time consuming thing you need to know the history about to actually enjoy, and also somethign where the vast majority of people don't understand what's being said most of the time, it does lose it's coolness factor to some extent.
CBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #34
Felicity Halsey
Certified vet
 
Felicity Halsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: ILLINOIS
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Felicity Halsey is not the worst person
The kids love it. I rap on xbox live n joke around telling the bros funny shit like.... you know what rhymes with go binge on a giant cock? You get no wins and you die a lot
__________________
Real raps over everything.

Last edited by Felicity Halsey; 09-26-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Felicity Halsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:53 PM   #35
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
Being worried about what is 'cool'
Uhh... At the end of the day, I couldn't get care less about that-- I define what is cool based on my own standards, not the standards of others.. I mention that a lot of people happen to think it isn't and why, and I think they are right

I want battle rap to be cool, as I define it, that's all -- And I don't think it is, if anyone thinks it is, that's perfectly fine

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-26-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:00 PM   #36
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
but he's not sure if he's just getting old
I'm young at heart, I stilll do all the things I loved as teenager, except with the maturity and knowledge that comes from experience, I wake up every day and do the things I love: skating, punk music, rap music, traveling, magic the gathering, dungeons and dragons, Japanese animation / manga / VNs, reading, travel and learning languages, etc... I'm in great shape -- I'll keep living it up and stay strong 'til the end

And Uh... I have never liked the current trend of battling in the 8+ years that's it's been around, and there's plenty of posts about that topic, but who could be bothered to find them

And nobody can play the "You just don't like it because it's new" card because it's not new or modern anymore... Battle rap needs a facelift and that Method Man vs Math is great, I loved it, so there's that

so it's not related to age.. Back in 2011-2012 I wanted it to stay more like it was pre 2011 -- Now I just want it to evolve to be something new

I wouldn't have liked this current style when I was a teenager either... Because I skateboard I'm around teenagers all the time, so it's not like I'm that out of touch..

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-26-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:28 AM   #37
Profess
I am the Chef
 
Profess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,900
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Mage View Post
I'm young at heart, I stilll do all the things I loved as teenager, except with the maturity and knowledge that comes from experience, I wake up every day and do the things I love: skating, punk music, rap music, traveling, magic the gathering, dungeons and dragons, Japanese animation / manga / VNs, reading, travel and learning languages, etc... I'm in great shape -- I'll keep living it up and stay strong 'til the end

And Uh... I have never liked the current trend of battling in the 8+ years that's it's been around, and there's plenty of posts about that topic, but who could be bothered to find them

And nobody can play the "You just don't like it because it's new" card because it's not new or modern anymore... Battle rap needs a facelift and that Method Man vs Math is great, I loved it, so there's that

so it's not related to age.. Back in 2011-2012 I wanted it to stay more like it was pre 2011 -- Now I just want it to evolve to be something new

I wouldn't have liked this current style when I was a teenager either... Because I skateboard I'm around teenagers all the time, so it's not like I'm that out of touch..
Any interest in checking out URL? I'm sure you've watched some of that leagues classics. I'm curious how you'd compare modern kotd with modern URL. Also, how much RBE do you watch?
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:12 AM   #38
Water Mage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,928
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Water Mage is better than Grind Time AustraliaWater Mage is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
Any interest in checking out URL? I'm sure you've watched some of that leagues classics. I'm curious how you'd compare modern kotd with modern URL. Also, how much RBE do you watch?
Only URL battles I've watched is Conceited's battles cuz he's basically my favorite written battler

I have a big issue with the acapella part of battle rap...



I guess I'm just picky.. I like Head I.C.E. too but I can't understand him that well, I have to pay so much attention to URL to catch it all, I just ask myself why I'm not studying rap lyrics on genius because it gives me the same feeling but it's more convenient and I get to listen to a beat...

RBE: Just watching Myron's first round.. "The serial (number on a gun?) got scratches like a "pumeerbee"????? no idea what this means... I liked the mountain dew line tho lol

for real, studying rap lyrics is really fun for me, we usually just skate to rap and don't pay much attention cuz it just inspires us to skate but when I sat down to study the words I realized rap is like 1000X cooler when you pay attention

Last edited by Water Mage; 09-27-2020 at 01:51 AM.
Water Mage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #39
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird
 
Abstrakt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,144
Mentioned: 422 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
coolest battle rapper turned rapper was Big L by far. dude had some of the most clever punchlines.
__________________
GOAT

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #40
Feral Linguist
otbva
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstrakt View Post
coolest battle rapper turned rapper was Big L by far. dude had some of the most clever punchlines.
yep, as far as I can tell, he is criminally underrated
Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
8217, 8220, 8221


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 
Forum Stats
Members: 5,606
Threads: 28,062
Posts: 739,604
Total Online: 1517

Newest Member: DethStryque The Invincibl

Latest Threads
- by iamHBY
- by peace
- by iamHBY
- by 6000GP
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by iamHBY
- by Profess



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:32 PM.