KOTD Vancouver-Resurgence Review

Old 03-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #1
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
KOTD Vancouver-Resurgence Review

KOTD Vancouver Resurgence Review/Report Card

This event was titled to promote the up and coming MCs from Smoked Out/BVB and GZ PY as a building block to events happening later in the year and to set the tone of the general Vancouver battle culture/scene for KOTD/GZ in Vancouver for 2017. Safe to say it did that and more. Everyone from Willie/Sparka=LOVEFORCE and all of the emcees deserve a big round of applause. Everyone was there on time, ready to battle, and showed out. Lots of local emcees and battlers showed up to support as well. I think Washington should take notes on what it takes to be a professional because that’s half the battle of the battle haha. Showing up. As a paying customer, I can say this was worth the $20. It was really fun to catch up with everyone from Junk, Emotionz, Illipsis, Mike, Willie, Sparka, Stevie P, Cope, Bear, etc.
I brought my celebrity guest and highest viewed GZ newcomer in the NW Heretic with me and we got there towards the end of the first battle so I apologize Rhythm and Devious for missing the first two rounds of your battle. The Plan B line was dope though.
Top 3 Battles (In Order)

1. Ape Yola vs Rupert Common. So as someone who’s followed the scene for a long time this was great. If you were thinking this was going to be like a boxing match where two old timers come back and just fall flat on their face, well you were wrong. This was a very even match up and style clash. Rupert came out blazing and took control but as the battle went on, Ape got better and seized momentum at the end. Rupert Common is a preferred taste and I really enjoy how he crafts his material. He told Ape he wants to be black so bad he buys calendars and takes the Februrarys out and hangs them on the wall. Ape had a “I served hand crafted artisan beatings” line that just went over. Both of these guys were over with the crowd. That’s what it takes to be good and both of these guys have “it”. Very enjoyable and I will watch it when it comes out.

2. DP vs Jaws. The Smoked Out Champ takes on Jaws coming off of a good showing vs TGBM. Jaws put together a great blueprint in terms of his religious angles. This was a career showing from him. I thought DP was good and I did judge this battle but I think the difference was that Jaws got over with the crowd. DP had some really good bars and had good reaction but it’s tough to get in the KOTD ring and be clean. Know what I mean? The crowd wants dirty stuff and how Jaws put it together got him over with the crowd and the win. Good showing by both.

3. Kreative vs Bar J. Two up and comers getting an opportunity who made the best of it. I judged this one again. Truthfully I thought Kreative was going to win it coming in because I saw him at the Smoked Out Anniversary and he KILLED IT. However, the changing of the bet in this battle caused him to have to re-write his material. Bar J is a battle rap junkie and eats, breathes, and probably watches battles on his phone on the toilet but he’s a student of the game. He wants to be good. He reminds me of an aggressive comedy battler. He has the delivery but says what we all think but won’t say. Best part of this battle was when Kreative had the fake choke in the third. He sold it. We were clapping. He took the third but it was too late by then. More of these two please.

All of the rest: Next battle would’ve been Craig Maben-Canucklehead if I had to pick another. Canuck had some good retro bars about Craig Mack that old guys like me and Whoomp got. Maben is like the guy in high school who was close to your circle of friends but not quite in the circle but you let him hang out because he always had something funny to say. I like his style. Best flip of the night was by Rozmo with the Goonies truffle shuffle. Redd and Sully was good and had its moments. Didn’t have much to say about it.

Shout out to Rhiannon and Mike for putting Heretic and me on to Pulled Pork Poutine. Wow is that good. I’m going to make some at home.

Advice To Battlers: When you are writing, think of your audience and think global. There were a lot of local references but you see the difference between the headliners is that they make material that anyone watching can pick up on. Keep the local stuff to a minimum because it won’t promote your brand outside of your town.

Event Grade: 8/10

Event Grades This Year:
KOTD Resurgence: 8/10
Smoked Out Year 3 Day 2: 8/10
AHAT WA NW Mania 3: 7.5/10

Next Up: AHAT Portland-The Debut 3/25
Smoked Out Bellingham 4/15

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #2
TheFakeDetour
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
TheFakeDetour is not the worst person
Nobody readin that shit! #Detour
TheFakeDetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 AM   #3
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Northwest mc's list id want to see on GZ ir KOTD:

You
Mic phenom
9dm
Yung nate

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:32 AM   #4
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyProehl View Post
Northwest mc's list id want to see on GZ ir KOTD:

You
Mic phenom
9dm
Yung nate
Nate is headlining at Portland AHAT next weekend. He can't get into Canada.
9DM has stepped away. Not sure where he went.
Mic has a battle next month I think. He had one for June locally too but not sure he's doing it.
There will be an announcement on my next one in the next week.

I'll battle Van GZ this year hopefully. Timing should work!

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 AM   #5
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Really wasn't feeling Rupert's approach, but to his credit he still had his moments and Ape KILLED it as expected. Great main event for the city. Thought DP/Jaws was low key battle of the night, crazy from both. Really solid event and maybe the best run I've ever been to in terms of time management...Sparks and Willie aren't playing haha
Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 AM   #6
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokab206 View Post
Nate is headlining at Portland AHAT next weekend. He can't get into Canada.
9DM has stepped away. Not sure where he went.
Mic has a battle next month I think. He had one for June locally too but not sure he's doing it.
There will be an announcement on my next one in the next week.

I'll battle Van GZ this year hopefully. Timing should work!
Thats awesome thanks for the info brody. Theres more NW guys im forgetting from golden era of GT expansion

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
Swampnicca

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Swampnicca is a PY Poster
where the f@#$ is Pigsty!
Swampnicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

Mentioned: 478 Post(s)
illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampnicca View Post
where the f@#$ is Pigsty!
Took some time away from the scene to get his head back in it, hearing rumblings that he's looking at a return though, which I'm super excited about.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by illipsis View Post
Took some time away from the scene to get his head back in it, hearing rumblings that he's looking at a return though, which I'm super excited about.
I heard this too. Great to have him back with some guys taking time off now. I've heard rumblings of a June 10th event but no real buzz. I just know of one confirmed match.

soundcloud.com/vokab206

Tags
detour