Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Is battle rap dead or do I not give a fuck anymore?

Old 10-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
CadalackJon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
CadalackJon is a PY Poster

Objectively, is battle rap better or worse than 7 years ago? (when I started watching)

URL doing fuck all
KOTD meh
DF absolute garbage
UW to save the scene?

Not sure if I just care less about BR these days or if it's because a lot of big names don't compete anymore, or less regularly at least. Am I just being a massive faggot or are we on the round side of the curve now and BR peaked with Lux Hollow?

In the past I've always laughed at "BATTLE RAP IS DEAD" threads online but here we are and here I am.

Thoughts?

Last edited by CadalackJon; 10-28-2016 at 06:07 PM.
CadalackJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #2
RonRon da Dong
Ronald R. McDongald

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
RonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRonRon da Dong is better than Grind Time Antarctica
yes and total slaughter/ether killed it... now there's nothing left to do but laugh and try to enjoy the parody that it's become, short of a gem on the here n there, but even those are becoming more and more scarce.

9 times out of 10 the only ones who don't recognize that we're in the post mortem days are the new fans/millenials who have picked up the torch.

I got 4 more bars hold on ..

then rap a whole 16

Last edited by RonRon da Dong; 10-28-2016 at 06:26 PM.
RonRon da Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
cripplesunday1
Substance Abuser

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
cripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarcticacripplesunday1 is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Its all subjective. Might be dead to you

For me. E ness vs Magic = it alive and kicking.
KOTRs have a big card this sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfworm View Post
No money.

Just Cheese and glory.
cripplesunday1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Prelec
kevin

Mentioned: 717 Post(s)
Prelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICEPrelec is NICE
You seen the bunker card? B Magic vs E Ness AND QP vs Fresco
Prelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
I love what's happening with the Bunker, that's easily the best thing about battle rap right now for me.

Not having a Summer Madness made battle rap feel kinda dead tho
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Casual

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
Bunker and Black Ice Cartel are good.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #7
Fingers

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Fingers is not the worst person
Suggesting KOTD is dead compared to 6-7 years ago? I'd say massive f****t.

It's you.

There are more events. Leagues are trying new stuff. Events are popping up ey'where. Shiiiiiit Hollow vs Pat went down in Cambridge, MA.

Mistah Fab is bringing us Surf vs Rex. SMACK got NOME 6 line-up still to be announced.
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 564 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
I don't really like to use the f-word, but I gaurantee it's you
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #9
6000GP
tupac back

6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Just curious, OP... Were you into hip hop before you discovered battle rap, or were you just a rhyming insult comedy fan? Because if it was the latter, maybe your battle rap phase is over. Me, I'm a lifer.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
Profess

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Just curious, OP... Were you into hip hop before you discovered battle rap, or were you just a rhyming insult comedy fan? Because if it was the latter, maybe your battle rap phase is over. Me, I'm a lifer.
"When I was in rikers...you was in diapers! I was in cyphers.. rhyming with lifers!!!"

Profess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #11
youdontwannabethatguy
VIP

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
youdontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarcticayoudontwannabethatguy is better than Grind Time Antarctica
it's already peaked but i definetly wouldn't say it's dead
youdontwannabethatguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Australia
its you
there is always excitement with something new and can be complacency with old things
don't confuse these phenomena with an accurate assessment of quality

perhaps its over for you wit battle rap, thats fine just dont blame BR tho
Neanderthol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #13
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
"When I was in rikers...you was in diapers! I was in cyphers.. rhyming with lifers!!!"

Old 10-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
StayScheming

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
StayScheming is not the worst person

Admittedly 2016 has been a bit of a strange year for battle rap.... lots of good things happening in the culture but in relation to the past few years, it feels like this is the most insulated it has been in quite some time; this might be a good/not so good thing simultaneously. I think this year, Battle Rap really established itself as being a "for the culture, by the culture" entity. Contrarily, 2014/2015 brought about quite a bit of a spectacle by way of some mega cards, as well as some big battles that did draw the attention of everybody in the culture, AS WELL as those outside of it. And though most of these events/battles didn't live up to the hype, it's at least fair to say that every announcement made injected some much needed excitement into the culture.

Having said all that, this year made 2 things clear to me: 1) Battle Rap has probably reached its peak in terms of cultural significance to Hip-Hop as a whole, and it may never successfully get any bigger thus eliminating the prospect of a full move into the "mainstream". I know people shot those ambitions down immediately following Total Slaughter but this year might be the nail I the coffin 2) a "changing of the guard" is bound to take place in the coming future. with guys like Hollow/Ice/Illmac/Lux/Ars/Saurus etc all getting to the point where they've done this for as long as they have, I'm not too sure how many battles we're gonna get out of those guys. Having said that, being left with the PG steppers of today and the countless reconfigurations of rappers we've already heard before may not be the greatest thing.

So to answer the original question, is battle rap dying? Probably not, but in terms of looking ahead I'm really not too sure of what direction it's going in as a whole. Whatever though. In the meantime, the Bunker/Born Legacy/Black Ice cards will at least keep things interesting and give us some good shit to watch.

Sorry this is so long. Slow day at the job and this turned into a tangent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by StayScheming; 10-28-2016 at 08:36 PM.
StayScheming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #15
CadalackJon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
CadalackJon is a PY Poster
Quote:
Always listened to hip hop and still do. I think they're so different it's tough to compare.

I think the lack of Summer Madness is a good point. But it most likely is me, I feel there's not the big characters around at the moment in battle rap. Maybe I'll take a month off watching battles.
CadalackJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #16
Profess

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
@CadalackJon Math Hoffa says that the decline in battle rap is due to a decline in tension.

Do you think there are enough grudges?
Profess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:05 PM   #17
Ryuha

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Ryuha is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRon da Dong View Post
yes and total slaughter/ether killed it... now there's nothing left to do but laugh and try to enjoy the parody that it's become, short of a gem on the here n there, but even those are becoming more and more scarce.

9 times out of 10 the only ones who don't recognize that we're in the post mortem days are the new fans/millenials who have picked up the torch.
I agree with these sentiments, but in my own words:

it has simply become over saturated...
Ryuha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 PM   #18
BOLDYIN
Hey Fellas!

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
BOLDYIN is a PY Poster
I think theres a kinda uncertain vibe that's happening right now, I don't think battle raps dead or close yet but when you think about it.. theres 4 maybe 5 leagues and out of said leagues there will be times that all of them may have amazing events around the same time of year, maybe sometimes 2 of the leagues will and the others might fall flat, right now none of the leagues have did a really amazing event for a little bit, I think that's whats giving some people that bored vibe, this bunker event, don't flops birthday, and whatever smack does next might change that

I really think they need to push this shit as some internet shit and find out a better way to profit from it, they kept aiming for mega events and TV shit in the last couple years and every time it made BR look stupid AF, ie yaki yaki yaki they need to work out a way to make this viral again, tbh the views at 1mil etc aint even impressive in todays terms
Lyckety Splyt
Lil Tic
Greg Buehl
BOLDYIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:12 PM   #19
LukeWaltonisGoat

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
LukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICELukeWaltonisGoat is NICE
As it's growing it takes a way from the hype but you have to adapt and follow it differently
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
you are the sturdy femurs that keep this forum upright

@I am LIL ILL is the heart
LukeWaltonisGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #20
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1156 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
hey im not battle rap expert in general

but the backpacker/funny guys went through a real hard time with KOTD seemingly trying to "phase" that shit out imo. but god damn are we making a comeback! shit is actually pretty damn hype for me right now, prob the most hype since 2011........
SpecialOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #21
SpecialOh

SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
u got so many innovators right now doing new shit such as battle rap gaming..nxt lvl shit

Old 10-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #22
StayScheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadalackJon View Post
the lack of Summer Madness is a good point. But it most likely is me, I feel there's not the big characters around at the moment in battle rap.

Yep. The overall scope of the year does look different without Summer Madness. Def not a slight at any other leagues, but that particular even really is a fixture in the culture.

re: lack of big characters in battle rap. Extra valid point. If you look at the 1st generation smack rappers, they were all brought unique things to the stage.

Verb
Con
Hitman
Math
Mook
Lux
Hollow
Goodz
Cal
Rex
Etc.

^ in their prime????? smh damn shame we probably aren't ever seeing a talent pool like that ever again

Old 10-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #23
SpecialOh

something i think is the #1 most important that i have seen for YEARS

battle rap doesent appeal to the youth man...

u know what the youth watch? high school battles. illipsis. epic rap battles of history. me.(in the future)

seriously the demographics of battle fans...the demographics of THIS site keeps aging and not replenishing (with youngings) i am of the very very high belief that battle rap is going to die with US and it lived and died in this generation
Old 10-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #24
SpecialOh

our youth (for the best lol) and teenagers dont know wtf battles are.

idk how u fix this or w.e but this is what i would do if i was the rothschild of battle rap

1) all battles are judged
2) tournaments as big as u can get them WITH it being non-paid (the prize needs to be like..ur a champ or u get to go vs a very high name..has to give u motivation to be a great battler)
3) more local competitions with incentives so good that it that makes ppl go wow... i know billy raps i should tell billy about this

Last edited by SpecialOh; 10-28-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 PM   #25
JAR

JAR is not the worst person
Quote:
Were you into hip hop before you discovered battle rap, or were you just a rhyming insult comedy fan?
I don't know if it's dying, but because of the current trends (word association/bar heavy) there seems to be less new people standing out and I just don't really like that as much. I definitely give a fuck less than I used to. To be honest, hip hop/rap music brought me over to battle rap around 2009. So my first taste was Grind Time and the birth of KOTD, not SMACK DVD's. So I REALLY like the clever jokes/insult rhymes, shorter rounds kind of format. And since the scene was such a tight community, personals would reverberate live and you could tell the crowd knew what was up. I'd still prefer to laugh then to be hit with straight up bars and schemes the whole time, I'd like a combo of all of it, but with a theme of insulting someone. I definitely enjoy less of who can actually "rap" better without really having to ever address their opponent. But that's the current trend. Long story short, I have no idea if it's dying...it seems pretty big compared to when I first was hearing about it, but it doesn't seem to be trending upward, just kind of sustaining, opposed to growing.

JAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:39 PM   #26
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
How can you not recognise that "Battle-Rap" is produced for the lowest common denominator of the entertainment market? Well when I was a teenager, I to belonged to that demographic, UNTIL I began to depart from it in 2010/2011, before fully withdrawing from the demographic about 6 months ago. Essentially there was an inverse relationship between enlightenment and approval in battle-rap. The more enlightened I got, the less tolerant I became of Battle-Rap. Hence why I was most enthused by Battle Rap in the mid 2000s and the late 2000s.

I've now fully withdrawn from Battle-Rap, literally haven't watched a battle since April, and I'm not even tempted to relapse.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:49 PM   #27
JAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kall View Post
I've now fully withdrawn from Battle-Rap, literally haven't watched a battle since April, and I'm not even tempted to relapse.
Do you frequent these forums often anymore and if so, why? I only have like 40 posts this, but I'm still reading up on battle rap news and remotely keeping current to what's happening.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #28
StayScheming

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kall View Post
How can you not recognise that "Battle-Rap" is produced for the lowest common denominator of the entertainment market? Well when I was a teenager, I to belonged to that demographic, UNTIL I began to depart from it in 2010/2011, before fully withdrawing from the demographic about 6 months ago. Essentially there was an inverse relationship between enlightenment and approval in battle-rap. The more enlightened I got, the less tolerant I became of Battle-Rap. Hence why I was most enthused by Battle Rap in the mid 2000s and the late 2000s.

While a part of me does get where you're coming from, I gotta say this was an unnecessarily condescending post lol.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:04 PM   #29
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
The views are probably the same. It's just broken up across so many leagues now that it's harder to keep up.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #30
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I just watch 2 battle or 3 battles max a week and I am really picky about which ones to watch. If you do that, battle rap is still great. Heads be watching garbage like Cali Smoov vs Danja Zone and wondering why it doesn't get them hype, lol.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #31
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR View Post
I don't know if it's dying, but because of the current trends (word association/bar heavy) there seems to be less new people standing out and I just don't really like that as much. I definitely give a fuck less than I used to. To be honest, hip hop/rap music brought me over to battle rap around 2009. So my first taste was Grind Time and the birth of KOTD, not SMACK DVD's. So I REALLY like the clever jokes/insult rhymes, shorter rounds kind of format. And since the scene was such a tight community, personals would reverberate live and you could tell the crowd knew what was up. I'd still prefer to laugh then to be hit with straight up bars and schemes the whole time, I'd like a combo of all of it, but with a theme of insulting someone. I definitely enjoy less of who can actually "rap" better without really having to ever address their opponent. But that's the current trend. Long story short, I have no idea if it's dying...it seems pretty big compared to when I first was hearing about it, but it doesn't seem to be trending upward, just kind of sustaining, opposed to growing.

Right, so you're more into insult comedy than you are into rap. Your phase is ending.

If you take a couple minutes to watch some of this battle from 1989 you'll see that it's not about clever jokes and insults...

To me, battle rap has always been a competition to determine the better MC. It's not a part of hip hop, it IS hip hop. Somewhere along the line people who weren't all that into rap came in and started changing it to rhyming insult comedy.

You say that you don't like the associative wordplay (puns) and bars, but battle rap has always, always, ALWAYS been about lyricism, creativity, and proving yourself a better rapper than your opponent. Today, the lyricism is more advanced than ever. That said, battle rap is pretty oversaturated now, and there's more poor to average rappers than there are great rappers. However, there's still plenty of great rappers.

There will be ups and downs, but battle rap will never end unless hip hop as a whole ends. If you think otherwise, then you most likely aren't all that much into rap, and the novelty of rhyming insult comedy is wearing off for you. I was never into rhyming insult comedy, so imo, battle rap is better than ever. If rhyming insult comedy is dying, Idk, I don't pay that much attention to it, but good riddance to bad rubbish, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #32
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Right, so you're more into insult comedy than you are into rap. Your phase is ending.

If you take a couple minutes to watch some of this battle from 1989 you'll see that it's not about clever jokes and insults...

To me, battle rap has always been a competition to determine the better MC. It's not a part of hip hop, it IS hip hop. Somewhere along the line people who weren't all that into rap came in and started changing it to rhyming insult comedy.

You say that you don't like the associative wordplay (puns) and bars, but battle rap has always, always, ALWAYS been about lyricism, creativity, and proving yourself a better rapper than your opponent. Today, the lyricism is more advanced than ever. That said, battle rap is pretty oversaturated now, and there's more poor to average rappers than there are great rappers. However, there's still plenty of great rappers.

There will be ups and downs, but battle rap will never end unless hip hop as a whole ends. If you think otherwise, then you most likely aren't all that much into rap, and the novelty of rhyming insult comedy is wearing off for you. I was never into rhyming insult comedy, so imo, battle rap is better than ever. If rhyming insult comedy is dying, Idk, I don't pay that much attention to it, but good riddance to bad rubbish, as far as I'm concerned.
This post is good, but there are plenty of stories from that era or rhyming insult comedy just few videos. Read some of the stories about Biz Markie battling and basically winning battles Daylyt style and you'll see what I mean!
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #33
JAR

Quote:

That's not necessarily what i'm saying, but that's a good point for those that got into battle rap exclusively for the comedy angle and aren't fans of hip hop. I'm saying I grew up on hip hop (LOVE 90's era more than anything), but when I first got into battle rap it was more insult/jokes based (Grind Time). I love bars and schemes, but not solely as such, I like it mixed in with comedy and clowning' on people. At the time I started getting into battle rap specifically, it was more on the joke side, but I enjoy clever jokes and the way they are said with different angles. I enjoy the hell out of the comedy angles and punches with clever wordplay on how to get to that point. But as a whole, I listen to a lot less newer rap music than ever, keyed into more of the era's that I truly loved late 80's through early 2000's. That may translate to battle rap for me, whereas I like the era that I'm used to and have a hard time adapting to newer trends.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #34
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
This post is good, but there are plenty of stories from that era or rhyming insult comedy just few videos. Read some of the stories about Biz Markie battling and basically winning battles Daylyt style and you'll see what I mean!
Oh, most definitely, but I feel like there's space in MCing for insults. I mean, at the end of the day, it's really just self expression, and that leaves room for all kinds of styles and creativity. My thing is that some people seem to think rhyming insults is what it's all about.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:50 AM   #35
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAR View Post
That's not necessarily what i'm saying, but that's a good point for those that got into battle rap exclusively for the comedy angle and aren't fans of hip hop. I'm saying I grew up on hip hop (LOVE 90's era more than anything), but when I first got into battle rap it was more insult/jokes based (Grind Time). I love bars and schemes, but not solely as such, I like it mixed in with comedy and clowning' on people. At the time I started getting into battle rap specifically, it was more on the joke side, but I enjoy clever jokes and the way they are said with different angles. I enjoy the hell out of the comedy angles and punches with clever wordplay on how to get to that point. But as a whole, I listen to a lot less newer rap music than ever, keyed into more of the era's that I truly loved late 80's through early 2000's. That may translate to battle rap for me, whereas I like the era that I'm used to and have a hard time adapting to newer trends.
I hear where you're coming from, believe me, but I disagree with what you call "trends" because that makes it seem like lyricism or the different wordplay techniques are new or fads. Lyricism, overall, has advanced/evolved, and a lot of people overdo some techniques, but I believe there's still a lot of variety. It's just that there's so many battles nowadays it can kinda seem like it all runs together. Truth be told, I'm pretty selective with what battles I watch, and I might only watch maybe one or two a week, if at all. But I'll still every now and then find myself in a mood where I'll just watch a handful of battles for old times sake.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:13 AM   #36
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
I hear where you're coming from, believe me, but I disagree with what you call "trends" because that makes it seem like lyricism or the different wordplay techniques are new or fads. Lyricism, overall, has advanced/evolved, and a lot of people overdo some techniques, but I believe there's still a lot of variety. It's just that there's so many battles nowadays it can kinda seem like it all runs together. Truth be told, I'm pretty selective with what battles I watch, and I might only watch maybe one or two a week, if at all. But I'll still every now and then find myself in a mood where I'll just watch a handful of battles for old times sake.
One more thing before I go.. the same issue I have with "trends" can be applied to rap music, in general. Just off the top of my head, wayne is like a thugged out eminem to me. Future, and other mumble rappers are like bone thugz. Drake is like LL cool J mixed with devin the dude. Even Lonely Island is like Wierd Al Yankovic. It goes on and on...
Old 10-30-2016, 04:24 PM   #37
Ryuha

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayScheming View Post
While a part of me does get where you're coming from, I gotta say this was an unnecessarily condescending post lol.
not to mention its pretentious as fuck...guy says he's done with battle rap, yet
is still posting on forums dedicated to battle rap....

Old 10-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #38
WillyRockBags

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
WillyRockBags is better than Grind Time AustraliaWillyRockBags is better than Grind Time AustraliaWillyRockBags is better than Grind Time Australia
Not you at all... battle rap died almost 2 years ago
Old 11-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #39
zonal

zonal is not the worst person
Listening to two lyrical masters out-complex eachother is booooooring. Watching them move their hands across the air as though theyre watching the words appear in MS word is a metaphor for the current state of battle rap.
zonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:09 PM   #40
Ryuha

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonal View Post
Listening to two lyrical masters out-complex eachother is booooooring.
so...QP vs JC was boring to you...?