Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
If you were to start a new league, where?

Old 03-30-2014, 04:06 AM   #1
thepointe01

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
thepointe01 is not the worst person
If you were to start a new league, where?

With URL struggling at the moment, leaving a void in the battle rap game, where would you start a battle league? Not west coast, cuz KOTD has got that on lock, would you start one in the midwest, tho there's a lot of smaller leagues that exist, How about the East Coast? It's a tough region to conquer, but once you conquer it, you're doing ok. Maybe the south? So much undiscovered talent there. Just wondering. Young entrepreneurs, where would you start your business?
thepointe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Profess

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Lagos, Nigeria because of the 16 million + population. I almost said Shanghai, China but since English is the national language of Nigeria they got my vote even though Shanghai has almost 2 million more people.
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:21 AM   #3
OGBone

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
OGBone probably likes in here/hair word play
Philly
Old 03-30-2014, 04:22 AM   #4
thepointe01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessYoHistory View Post
Lagos, Nigeria because of the 16 million + population. I almost said Shanghai, China but since English is the national language of Nigeria they got my vote even though Shanghai has almost 2 million more people.
Does anybody know how to rap there? If so, goldmine tbh.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
thepointe01

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGBone View Post
Philly
That would def be on my short list, if only to get Tech 9 back active and working (provided he's on his a game, dudes on my a list, well, two years ago) and yea, Philly it seems is loaded w talent and has their own kinda style that one could start a business with.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #6
deathstare
thebraidthemyththelegend

Mentioned: 330 Post(s)
deathstare has seen da-feet
I think Atl and Miami would be places peeps would want to battle in just cause of the party scene afterwards.
deathstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:27 AM   #7
Profess

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepointe01 View Post
Does anybody know how to rap there? If so, goldmine tbh.
I have no idea, but I would have said the same thing about the Philippines.

If not, maybe Lagos could be a good home turf for the KOTD GZ division.

"This Ground Zero League Is Simply A Place For Up n Coming MC's To Sharpen There Tools Before Stepping In The Elite KOTD League.."
@ThroatStrangledBojangles quoting Organik in this thread

http://rmbva.com/does-anyone-buy-myth-kotd-t8202.html
Old 03-30-2014, 04:30 AM   #8
thepointe01

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathstare View Post
I think Atl and Miami would be places peeps would want to battle in just cause of the party scene afterwards.
fair, but isn't that where gt started? I guess someone running the company that doesn't also help make my meatball subs (best sub at subway bar none period) would help make that area go crazy? I agree that the untapped potential in the south is probably where I'd get started tbh.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #9
thepointe01

Quote:
I have no idea, but I would have said the same thing about the Philippines.

If not, maybe Lagos could be a good home turf for the KOTD GZ division.

"This Ground Zero League Is Simply A Place For Up n Coming MC's To Sharpen There Tools Before Stepping In The Elite KOTD League.."
@ThroatStrangledBojangles quoting Organik in this thread

http://rmbva.com/does-anyone-buy-myth-kotd-t8202.html
fair, but if I'm starting a league I'm investing money in (only in order to enjoy battle rap and maybe break even in) some place, I'd want some assurance that some of the people knew at least what rap was, better yet rap battles if I'm getting cocky.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #10
Profess

Quote:
fair, but isn't that where gt started? I guess someone running the company that doesn't also help make my meatball subs (best sub at subway bar none period) would help make that area go crazy? I agree that the untapped potential in the south is probably where I'd get started tbh.
GTN is based Florida if I am correct. Philly would be good too as far as untapped potential. That said, URL isn't what it once was.. they have done partnerships in the past ie the DBD v PH battle. Perhaps URL will tour more cities.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:36 AM   #11
Profess

Quote:
fair, but if I'm starting a league I'm investing money in (only in order to enjoy battle rap and maybe break even in) some place, I'd want some assurance that some of the people knew at least what rap was, better yet rap battles if I'm getting cocky.
gotcha.. thought this was hypothetical.. guess it depends on where you are most comfortable. That said, from what I can tell.. I'd say Philly. Good luck. Any thoughts on names?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:37 AM   #12
thepointe01

Quote:
GTN is based Florida if I am correct. Philly would be good too as far as untapped potential. That said, URL isn't what it once was.. they have done partnerships in the past ie the DBD v PH battle. Perhaps URL will tour more cities.
This thread isn't even about URL. I am a big fan, but am on the side that their days are numbered tbh. Just the fact that KOTD seems to run better business and Ultimate Warrior is waiting to take their leftovers. I wish URL well, and if they do get back to the top, please give Tech 9 another shot, sorry, personal fave of mine.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:41 AM   #13
thepointe01

Quote:
gotcha.. thought this was hypothetical.. guess it depends on where you are most comfortable. That said, from what I can tell.. I'd say Philly. Good luck. Any thoughts on names?
yea, philly is a good option, don't know why that city hasn't been explored further. I'm from dc, and I think we have serious talent in the dmv, but there is a place down down here run by Maestro, which I think actually has some traction considering the fact that no one seems to be opposing to him. Shoutout maestro.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:47 AM   #14
Profess

Quote:
yea, philly is a good option, don't know why that city hasn't been explored further. I'm from dc, and I think we have serious talent in the dmv, but there is a place down down here run by Maestro, which I think actually has some traction considering the fact that no one seems to be opposing to him. Shoutout maestro.
That's the thing, there are so many areas with talent.. DVM being one of them and if that is where you're from then that is the spot, unless you want to move.

In the grand scheme, if other regions debatable have more talent it is probably due to people throwing better events and a more developed scene. Competition can do wonders for upping the ante.. like you said Maestro has a league already so if you both are putting in work then it should just make things better in general.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:48 AM   #15
thepointe01

Quote:
btw names, hadn't even thought of that, maybe Words R Worth (WrW) battle league, I don't know off the top of my head.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:51 AM   #16
Ill Magic
Harlem Hospital Doctor

Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Ill Magic is a PY Poster
Dallas.

Fuck Houston @Blanco14
Old 03-30-2014, 04:52 AM   #17
thepointe01

Quote:
That's the thing, there are so many areas with talent.. DVM being one of them and if that is where you're from then that is the spot, unless you want to move.

In the grand scheme, if other regions debatable have more talent it is probably due to people throwing better events and a more developed scene. Competition can do wonders for upping the ante.. like you said Maestro has a league already so if you both are putting in work then it should just make things better in general.
I have no interest in starting a battle league, I have enough stress at my regular job tbh, but Maestro is doing good things with a good region like the DMV and yet he can't break (at least as of yet) the idea of being a smaller league. How does one become a bigger league?
Old 03-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #18
thepointe01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Magic View Post
Dallas.

Fuck Houston @Blanco14
Houston and the Texas region it seems are underappreciated at the moment. Are there any leagues down there right now?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #19
Profess

Quote:
I have no interest in starting a battle league, I have enough stress at my regular job tbh, but Maestro is doing good things with a good region like the DMV and yet he can't break (at least as of yet) the idea of being a smaller league. How does one become a bigger league?
Good question, KOTD had a league previous but benefitted from the fall of Grindtime. Maybe "the fall of URL" will open the door for a similar situation on the east coast. Merge with other leagues, form partnerships, develop home talent, high quality video production, fun events and solid business practices.

Oh yeah, and most important a dope logo that reminds people of rasslin'

Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #20
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Mentioned: 644 Post(s)
Blanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICE
Quote:
Houston and the Texas region it seems are underappreciated at the moment. Are there any leagues down there right now?
Dallas is Houston's bitch! @Ill Magic

And no
There was a GT tryout before drect left...
But nothing since
Blanco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 AM   #21
Ill Magic
Harlem Hospital Doctor

Ill Magic is a PY Poster
Quote:
AHAT has a league in Austin, or Houston, I think.

There's also a Local Dallas League that I was gonna check out.

@ErikForeman did ya check out the DAL League yet?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:27 AM   #22
Ill Magic
Harlem Hospital Doctor

Ill Magic is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco14 View Post
Dallas is Houston's bitch! @Ill Magic

And no
There was a GT tryout before drect left...
But nothing since
Um... AHAT.

And, who won? Mavs or Rockets?
Old 03-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #23
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Mentioned: 644 Post(s)
Blanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Magic View Post
Um... AHAT.

And, who won? Mavs or Rockets?
I hate everything about Dallas.
I hope Russia tries to capture you.
Blanco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:51 AM   #24
uuuununnn
IM SPITTIN OUT THUNDER

Mentioned: 371 Post(s)
uuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarctica
south asia / terrorist arabia land

where them monkeys are so desensitized to death (both killing and knowing people who have died ) that gun bars , "im a real nigga i lost my homey this year " , marvwon "holding his guts , till my dudes come " , all those lines hold little to no weight .....

where the intros would be nearly 4 hours long cuz the hosts , the sponsors , and both battle rappers would have like a half hour of RIPs ........ there would be no "free so-and-so " cuz i dont even know if them monkeys got prison , gang raping women on the daley (shout out )

Last edited by uuuununnn; 03-30-2014 at 05:54 AM.
uuuununnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 AM   #25
Ill Magic
Harlem Hospital Doctor

Ill Magic is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco14 View Post
I hate everything about Dallas.
I hope Russia tries to capture you.
I actually was 6 years old and I went to some Robot Competition in Houston.

I also love the Space Center.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #26
barz2AM
NawmSayin

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
barz2AM is a PY Poster
detroit?
Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #27
3Face
Banned

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
3Face is a PY Poster
one of the worst threads of all time
3Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #28
Gopher D'Gusto

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Gopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time AntarcticaGopher D'Gusto is better than Grind Time Antarctica
First off, I disagree with this notion that URL is falling off. They don't put out as many battles as they used to, but ultimately, most battlers still respect them as the top league.

Secondly, if you did your research, you'd find that most of the regions mentioned in this thread already have their own leagues. The last thing battle rap needs is another league in a region that doesn't need one.

Lastly, not every region has the resources to be a major league. There's nothing wrong with small leagues staying small. You have to work within the confines of what you have. If you force growth on a league that isn't ready to expand or have bigger names, you risk the livelihood of the league itself.
Gopher D'Gusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #29
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Philadelphia or Detroit

- Both have a historical record of producing talented battle-rappers.
- They're both geographically advantageous, Philadelphia serves a lot of the East-Coast, NYC, Baltimore, DC are all driving distance. Detroit serves a lot of the Mid-West, Flint, Pontiac, Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, even parts of Canada are all driving distance.
- Neither city is controlled by a single monopoly league, so there's a power vacuum to capitalize on.
- Both cities are home to Hip-Hop icons, past and present, which would automatically encourage people of all ages to watch.

Does anyone know how Michigan and Pennsylvania tax small businesses?
What are prices like in Detroit and Philadelphia?
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #30
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher D'Gusto View Post
First off, I disagree with this notion that URL is falling off. They don't put out as many battles as they used to, but ultimately, most battlers still respect them as the top league.
Yeah URL is still a powerhouse. BUT it's definitely declining, unless there's a grand corporate strategy being negotiated behind the scenes. In 2011 and 2012 URL was churning out classic after classic, in 2013/2014 they've arguably had none, 5 to 10 decent battles at the most. In 2011 and 2012 they were averaging a million views per battle for their big budget events, and that has subsided. URL don't get as many google searches as they did in 2011 and 2012. BUT I think it's symptomatic of a general decline in Battle-Rap that is affecting every channel.
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #31
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1465 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Boston, because I live near Boston. I'm not gonna move to start a battle league c'mon
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #32
SBOfficial
RUOfficial?

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
SBOfficial is not the worst person
Quote:
With URL struggling at the moment, leaving a void in the battle rap game, where would you start a battle league? Not west coast, cuz KOTD has got that on lock, would you start one in the midwest, tho there's a lot of smaller leagues that exist, How about the East Coast? It's a tough region to conquer, but once you conquer it, you're doing ok. Maybe the south? So much undiscovered talent there. Just wondering. Young entrepreneurs, where would you start your business?
WEST COAST. KOTD is CANADA. I don't care who is running/maintaining the league/division here. You MUST live outside of LA to say something like that. KOTD covers 0 ground here, and have yet to tap even 1% of the talent and possibilities here in LA.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #33
3Face
Banned

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
3Face is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBOfficial View Post
WEST COAST. KOTD is CANADA. I don't care who is running/maintaining the league/division here. You MUST live outside of LA to say something like that. KOTD covers 0 ground here, and have yet to tap even 1% of the talent and possibilities here in LA.
dont you live in the valley?
3Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #34
Nick H.
on her mind, in her mouth

Mentioned: 471 Post(s)
Nick H. is better than Grind Time AustraliaNick H. is better than Grind Time Australia
Send a message via AIM to Nick H.
The South
Old 03-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #35
larry word
have no constraints

Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
larry word is not the worst person
mexico, easily
Old 03-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #36
SBOfficial
RUOfficial?

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
SBOfficial is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun So Big View Post
dont you live in the valley?
Yes. Now your point is?

I will be happy to list at least 25 other places I have resided as well. Only after I can see your point... Boy.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:28 AM   #37
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
I think KOTD having a Florida division would be successful.
JC
All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:26 AM   #38
Mr.Mumbles905
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Mr.Mumbles905 is a PY Poster
Philly
Detroit you got some nice veterans and people can travel from various places
Got good battle foundation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr.Mumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 AM   #39
Klaxaveli
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Klaxaveli is a PY Poster
for the people sayin Detroit, between Alpha League (Detroit) & Scheme Street (Pontiac) the Detroit scene is thoroughly on lock - it's actually thriving & is one of the deepest talent wise in the nation - throw in Bar Wars & KnK MidWest doin their thing as secondary leagues and there's not much room for anything new.

As for the south, Spit Dat Heat has a pretty good foothold with their platform & do a great job of developing untapped southern talent (NOBL & Bar Exams do a decent job of this too, so do the various NC leagues) - SDH is actually my dark horse pick for successor to the URL, the level of competition is there & the organic growth of their movement is bein utilized/capitalized on well.
Klaxaveli is offline   Reply With Quote