Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Throwback Watching All Grind Time Battles from March 2009

Old 05-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #41
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
man it has been a minute since I found a battler I hadn't heard that I really dig. Just watched H-Bomb vs Only One and yes, he is nice as fuck
Feral Linguist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #42
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post

Dizaster vs Illmaculate
March 19, 2009

Boom! Battle of the Bay III Main Event! Illmac's GT debut (besides his hosting) This is likely the second most viewed battle of March 2009 and I've never watched it before but I bet its good.

Rappers have made reference to a "Canadian Division" but Lush shouts out King of the Dot by name before the battle starts, first I've heard KOTD mentioned. A 90 second fourth round is factored into the format.

I don't understand so many of the choices made in managing the Grind Time Now channel. Dizaster's first line is about how Madness served Illmac. I don't remember ever watching this battle but I've watched Madness vs Illmac like 50 times and I would remember seeing it as part of this. I check the release dates and Madness vs Illmac comes out like 3 weeks after this, on April 7. Why release a battle with a big reference to another battle before that other battle comes out? Did they not think that people who might not have been at the event may actually watch this?

Ok anyways, Illmac's first is as good as anything I've heard in Grind Time up this point. Illmac is really good at structuring his lines so they rhyme and sound cool too, which is a RARE SKILL thus far. This might seem minor but I'm impressed by Illmac's ability to bring slang like "dead it" into his rhymes so it all sounds cool, instead of twisting a sentence structure into something that sounds weird but rhymes - which is something Dizaster does.

I've never been a huge Dizaster fan and, I mean, I haven't looked at the comments yet but I know one thing is that there's a huge Diz-Stan community and I'm expecting to find they're on here saying he won. I think the thing is, he's got an ultra-agressive performance style but I think his content is weak. Like he's rappin' loud and angry, I hear the word 'queer' twice in like 5 seconds, and it all ends with "you look broke as fuck" in an extra-angry tone. Well, whatever man, Illmac's just wearing some clothes, Mr. White-T. Then he says "does harry have you on allowance steady / jesus christ buy a new outfit already" like.. 'allowance steady' is the kind of awkward phrasing I would be surprised to hear come out of Illmac but expect from Diz. The thing about Jesus and two steps in the sand was decent.

At the same time, I'm also not a big fan of stuff like Illmac's 2nd rnd start "you were on my phone bitchin' a month and a half-ago." That's some testimony Judge Judy wouldn't tolerate although the rest of the round was pretty good. Diz is bringing up phone calls too. Overall Diz' second was better than his first. Illmac's whole third is a pretty intense takedown. Getting a lot of oooohhhhs.

Diz made a spin the mic reference everyone laughed at, I kinda remember watching part of that a looong time ago, I guess Illmac robbed Saurus or something. Diz 3rd round ending was weird though.. calling Illmac one of Santa's elves and trailing off in some freestyled badness.

90 second fourth rounds. A lot of behind the scenes stuff about Illmac's shady music partnerships or something. Illmac's saying some of the same things he's already said but in different ways. This round has some good rapping but is feeling a bit unnecessary as a battle round. Overall though, pretty good.
i remember when this battle came out, Illmac blew my mind. his shit was so well-structured, hit effective angles and was delivered effortlessly. even listening to it nowadays it sounds so much more competent than a lot of battle rappers today.

it may not be the flashiest performance, and some lines certainly haven't aged well, but it's a super solid performance.

Dizaster was basically the exact opposite in this battle: not well-structured by any means, not much interesting stuff going on in terms of angles (aside from the Sandpeople shit i guess), and way too much effort going nowhere, yet way more flashy than Illmac (kick higher than your head)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Schrader View Post
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Dear Diary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #43
Wtchr

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
March 21, 2009: Lucky Lucianni vs Vokab

Lucky Lucianni vs Vokab
March 21, 2009

Another round of West Coast tryouts. This one is our friend Vokab's second GTN battle. One second in and it's weird. What makes it weird after one second? No intro screen, and Illusion Z is hosting.

This is Open Source Street Battles, not sure what that is, if its an Illusion Z thi that didn't last. Crowd looks like a mix of university students gathering in the park, and people from The Matrix.

Don't know Lucky Lucianni but for his intro he just kinda gave a bow, then Illusion Z asked him where he's from.

Ok, Lucky Lucianni's first bar is like "Vokab with a K right? At least I'm not the only one not spelling his name right" so, I know that his name is a play on Lucky Luciano, but there's no reason why Lucianni can't be a correctly spelled name.

Man, Lucky Lucianni is not doin' it right. He says "this ain't a battle its an act of war" what is a 'battle' if not an 'act of war'? Just think for a second about what you're saying, guy.

Lucky spit a 'Powder' reference. Man, that not-significant-at-all movie has a strong afterlife in rap battle references. Plus Lucky calls Vokab a shaved sasquatch when he should be an easy target for Frankenstein or Lurch bars (no offense, man).

Holy wind noise, stupid outdoor battles. It sounds like someone is breathing on the mic.

Lucky looks (and kinda sounds) like he's in one of those wrestling training camps.

Vokab's second has its moments "your face looks like its suited bottle of tylenol"

Lucky "you look like frankenberry" there you go.

too bad Vokab's super soaker tommy gun didn' get more reaction, appropriate for a guy with that name.

Lucky's third isn't bad, rapid fire jokes. Vokab had two Marilyn Manson references in his third. "Ponytales gone wrong" was funny though. Our man in this thread took the W, unanimous decision.
Wtchr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:11 PM   #44
Wtchr

March 21, 2009: P-Nut vs Ghambit

P-Nut vs Ghambit
March 21, 2009

Ok, another Open Source tryout. This one's only 3 minutes long, lost footage?
It starts in the middle of a dude's round and I don't recognize him so it must be Ghambit. P-Nut's round seems pretty good.

So that was the third round and we only see a full P-Nut round. I think Z might have said it was the main event!

One of the judges is Illusion Z's brother.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #45
Wtchr

March 21, 2009: Simple Mind vs Swarm Shogun

Simple Mind vs Swarm Shogun
March 21, 2009

Another Open Source battle in the great outdoors. Don't know either guy although Swarm Shogun is ringing a faint bell.

In his Intro Illusion Z says 'Best Coast' and someone behind him says "fuck Florida" then he says "shout out to Florida" and someone off screen says "boooo"

Swarm is making fun of Mexicans pretty hard for his first. Going as far as saying something like "you're using mayan blood to paint your head"

I don't know if they even showed Simple Mind in the intro, if they did I missed it. After all of Swarm's Mexican jokes I was surprised to see that Simple Mind looks like the bassist of a skatepunk band.

Swarm "latinos always lose to philippinos, it's called the Pacquiao effect"

Simple Mind has the rapper arms turned up to 11, don't really have much to say about him. Swarm Shogun is actually pretty good though.

Swarm "he got a vega mask and claw, just to rake his yard"

one of the judges said "Swarm 2012'ed him, mayan calendar!"
Old 05-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #46
Wtchr

March 21, 2009: Chase Moore vs Dopey Delik

Chase Moore vs Dopey Delik
March 21, 2009

Open Source Illusion Z hosted battle. Not too excited to see Chase Moore battle again, never heard of Dopey Delik.

Miss Tonya is the celebrity timekeeper - this is how Illusion Z referred to her. Is she someone from the scene? I just looked her up and she currently works as an Art Therapist, good for her.

Dopey Delik looks like 90s alternative rock. Dopey's funny, and his name's appropriate for his weird, slow, closed-eyes style.

Chase Moore, I just don't like it. Objectively he's better than Dopey but I don't want to watch him and Dopey's giving me more entertainment value. These guys are such opposites though, Chase Moore is trying waay too hard and Dopey doesn't have the energy to try at all. There's moments where he raises his arm and it looks like it just falls limp.

Fredo's drinking a can of my favorite drink, Arizona Green Tea with Honey and Ginseng. 99 cents, great value! Battle ends with "that was three rounds, we're gonna go to the judges right now" and its over. No judgment.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:05 AM   #47
THINKaboutIT
Norman Smiley

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
THINKaboutIT is not the worst person
Chase Moore is a really genuine dude. I still remember when he reached out to me over a Youtube comment I made questioning his Australian heritage. It was a pretty negative comment and didn't warrant a response from him, but I was glad that he did. It humbled me and I cut back on my shit talk.

Still won't forgive him for his "you're old like a dinosaur" line though lol
THINKaboutIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:38 AM   #48
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
I filmed these tryout events. It was fun at the time but more so for us to get more footage out. I forgot these went on the GT page because the views were so low.

Here's the first two rounds of P Nut vs Ghambit.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #49
Wtchr

March 22, 2009: Lyraflip vs Fredo

Lyraflip vs Fredo
March 22, 2009

Fredo's good, Lyraflip's not good. Fredo's going to win. Lyraflip's got a developed performance style but very weak content and even if he performs his weak material well, in the past it's been a little too talent show-ey for my tastes. I hope that makes sense.

Plex is promoting his maniac Mansions mixtape. Has anyone heard that? I remember watching some Delmon Crew and Rolling Rockers videos back in the day and I wasn't particularly impressed, I didn't mind the video for Litro and I think I thought that Lush's Roach Bowl Anthem was ok. I do remember Plex kinda standing out more, as a rapper, than Lush did in those Rolling Rockers tracks.
I just got sidetracked watching some videos from Lush One and his projects then I took a quick look at his social media and it seems like he's been i n treatment since the start of February. Don't know if that's true or not.

So Lyraflip is kind of in the same category as Chase Moore for me. He's a competent performer, a competent rapper, but he's not 'dope'. Like, his content's just off and I'm not into it. If this was a talent show I'd probably have to give both these dudes (that is, Chase and Flip) some points but it's not a talent show. Just in terms of Flip's battle content being off, he has like the exact same physique as Fredo, except he's shorter, and he's calling Fredo fat for half his round.

Fredo's waaay better, funny start to his first "I want to thank Grind time - hey Plex and Lush, holla at me when you want to hit those spliffs - oh, you must be lyraflip" then he said he was battling Project Blowed's experiments with mice.

If it wasn't for Dumbfoundead and the fact that I know that shit like Lyracists Lounge comes out of Project Blowed, Grind Time and people like Lyraflip and later Malathion would have given me a terrible impression of what Project Blowed was.

Fredo's making fun of Flip's height for most of the round "We should have battled at Disneyland, it's a small world after all"

Flip's calling Fredo fat again. Bleh. People are clapping for his round so I guess they liked it.

Fredo's "you look like Luigi after he touched on a bad guy" then a whole Mario Bros bit that was pretty funny. More short jokes. Flip's definitely a better performer, he's better with projecting his voice and pacing his rounds, Fredo is just kinda rapid fire yellowing. Flip's third is more boring fat jokes though, and some FOB lines about Fredo's accent I can't hear. Don't see this battle as anything other than Fredo taking Lyraflip over his knee. Judges gave it to Fredo, of course. Honestly Lyraflip was better here than in the other two battles he's done.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #50
Wtchr

March 22, 2009: Pariah vs D.Wiggins

Pariah vs D.Wiggins
March 22, 2009

Ahhh... Pariah, I don't know if I've ever watched one of his battles. I just remember Cruger, vs Charoon, saying "your voice makes mine sound like Pariah" and his voice got all monstery as he said it. Let's watch.

Another Open Source Street Battle with Illusion Z hosting, I think this is the last one. One of the two main events.

The rappers start like 20 feet apart, Pariah walks like, across the field to get in D. Wiggins face. Pariah's voice, VERY manly. No doubt about that.

Pariah's doing a Hollohan thing with like ultra-agressive multi-syllable overload. Both he and Wiggins play up to another camera and its weird seeing it. Vokab are you holding the camera this battle was filmed from?

D. Wiggins has a little more personality than Pariah, who is a battle rap archetype. Only thing is D. Wiggins goes into freestyle boredom for like half the round. Pariah has his prepared rounds that aren't that bad.

D. Wiggins tells a story about Pariah changing his name when he was called Subverse and lost a battle to another Subverse. Pariah starts doing predictions which are no fun, D. Wiggins ends "I eat at red lobster, he eats at applebees" funny. Wiggins 2nd was way better.

Man, D. Wiggins clowning on Pariah is pretty funny. I know he did another tryout battle (v Caustic) and I don't remember him being as good as he is here. As I typed that though he stumbled and switched into a weak freestyled ending.

Fredo the judge called Pariah "attacky".

This battle actually wasn't bad. Definitely better than a typical 4.5k viewed battle.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:51 PM   #51
Emancee

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
If it wasn't for Dumbfoundead and the fact that I know that shit like Lyracists Lounge comes out of Project Blowed, Grind Time and people like Lyraflip and later Malathion would have given me a terrible impression of what Project Blowed was.
I had the same thing, I was a huge fan of Project Blowed material and was so excited when I heard they were battling. HUGE letdown with the exception of Nocan.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM   #52
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
IS THAT REALLY YOUR NAME??? D WIGGINS???!!!

Yes. i filmed it.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #53
Wtchr

March 22, 2009: Surgeon General vs Sonny Bamboo

Surgeon General vs Sonny Bamboo
March 22, 2009

Woah, a battle from the Lounge Battles 7 event they promoted so much at the start of the Feb battle videos. So it took place in Kissimmee Florida. I had no idea it was a Florida event, I assumed it was in California because Okwards was named on the flyer, but it didn't show a location so how should I know.

PH is hosting and he identifies himself as GTNY President. It's a real show of Grind Time Unity, Delmon Crew is there, along with GT Minneapolis vice president (first time I've heard of a VP)

Oh, PH isn't hosting, it's Ashley Nicely who is the host? No, after Mad Illz says Ashley Nicely is the host, he says "we;re turning it over to the best host of 2008, Lush One."

Surgeon General has some funny stuff, kinda, but he's running out the clock. Sonny Bamboo is pretty good and funny. "you look like you've been ripping out car stereos with your teeth."

SG said you might as well eat leprechaun food, then pulled out some dollar store 4-leaf clover prop, it was pretty funny.

Bamboo flipped the whole leprichaun thing "I'm in his mother's arms cause she loves my lucky charms" boom. Then he says "this guy's manager is the Orkin man." Sonny won right there. "tattoo across his belly that says 'bug life'" Laughter's out of control. Ends "I put the surgeon where he belongs in an emergency room."

As usual when one guy is mostly freestyle, they can't compare to someone with some decent writing talent. In SG's third, he's spitting lines about how he's freestyling and Sonny writing. His end was "I'm freestylin' you off writin'". In Sonny's third he WROTE some stuff about a scale that had the Delmon Crew doing O faces. Definitely a decent battle. SG wasn't terrible but he wasn't on Bamboo's level here.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #54
Wtchr

March 23, 2009: 9DM vs Tantrum

9DM vs Tantrum
March 23, 2009

Lush calls himself the president of California for the first time.

9DM's just rapping away. A whole lotta rhymes. I know I've seen him before but I don't really recall anything about him from past battles. He's not a Florida-level rapper but he's also really a standout.

Tantrum "You've been acting like an emo bitch for the past couple months because Illusion fucked you up" / "you took your most horrible loss from a cat that I taught how to rap"

I remember Dumbfoundead's line in Bodied that was like "You at least knew I was Korean, that's culturally sensitive by battle rap standards - Tantrum says "I went from battling an Asian dude, who knows about being Asian and shit, to a guy that isn't even proud of the race that he is"

9DM "he heard it was raining cats and dogs and he thought global hunger was over forever." ok - I wish I just learned that they ate delicious cats and dogs in China.

Tantrum's doing some anti-racist direct action in his second. I kinda thought 9DM calling Tantrum a monk was funny though.

Plex is wearing a heavy looking backpack.

I think Tantrum's okay but he overplays the hyper-agression in his voice I think. Tantrum's third was joking on 9DM being a lame white suburban rap fan and it was funny.

Nocando voted for 9DM while everyone else was "that was a clear win for Tantrum." Decent battle
Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM   #55
Wtchr

March 25, 2009: Young Nate vs Mic Phenom

Young Nate vs Mic Phenom
March 25, 2009

After 9DM vs Tantrum GTN uploaded a Fox freestyle, recorded at Battle of the Bay 3. Lush said "Nate pulled a Houdini act" and noshowed at the event. Very next battle on the GTN channel is a Young Nate battle, only it's not against Fox - but at least we're not deprived of that Young Nate content!

First North West battle I've seen in a while, opens with a shot of Illmac's Sand People shirt. Illmac is white, like all light is shining on him... he is the light.

Mic Phenom's hometown is Seattle/Battle Creek (Michigan)/Hawaii. That's three places, one of them is not a town. Just want to point that out.

Illmac might have an inch of height over Young Nate.

Nate's first isn't great but then he starts saying "look, look" and he's choking. His recover's not great either, he was basically just "you are gay!"

Mic Phenom's better but after the first this is like a 6/10 battle.

Nate said he's 5'7 in the battle. The rapper profile screen said he was 5'6.

nate's playing to the crowd and turning away from the camera, Phenom plays to the camera. That makes a huge difference in how these battles play on youtube.

Phenom got some crowd reaction. Nate said something in his third that had someone, one voice in the crowd, doing a weird moan-howl thing.

Illmac said "that's the three rounds" after Nate's third, then Phenom had to nudge him and say "I got one more"

While they blasted the battle with light, they filmed the judges in a dark dorway with the light behind them. Judges wearing a cap or a hood are basically invisible.