Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
MP & Vokab-Strength In Numbers LP available now for free download!

Old 03-15-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
MP & Vokab-Strength In Numbers LP available now for free download!

Of course I wouldn't charge anyone for music. Just finished this and rocked a set last night at AHAT WA. For free download. Track list below. Hope you enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/vokab206/sets...gth-in-numbers

MP & Vokab-Strength In Numbers LP
Run Time: 45:53

Track List:

01-Strength In Numbers (Produced by Airworks)
02-Bump (featuring Tantrum) (Produced by deadBeat)
03-Passenger Seat (Produced by Aspect One)
04-N.W.H.H. (Produced by 5th Sequence)
05-Whisper (featuring Matt Mattix) (Produced by Airworks)
06-Go Away (featuring Mostafa and Destiny) (Produced by Airworks)
07-Story Telling (Produced by Airworks)
08-Must Be Love (Produced by Airworks)
09-Up In The Air (featuring Free Guns For Kids) (Produced by Tapez Productions)
10-Full Spin (Produced by Tapez Productions and Aspect One)
11-Who's Line Is It Anyway? (Produced by Airworks)
12-Numbers In Strength (Produced by Airworks)
13-Not Leaving (Produced by 9eleven)

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:57 PM   #2
RickyProehl
RickyWatters

Mentioned: 421 Post(s)
RickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time AntarcticaRickyProehl is better than Grind Time Antarctica
will check it out

Rip ux9
RickyProehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Thanks! Here's some footage of us performing last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6j...ature=youtu.be

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 AM   #4
KellyBetz of NoCoast
Columbia, Missouri USA

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
KellyBetz of NoCoast is not the worst person
deadBeat production!

No Coast in this bitch!

Checkin' it out now
KellyBetz of NoCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 AM   #5
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Thanks! Followed you back on Soundcloud too homie

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 03-16-2015, 01:53 AM   #6
KellyBetz of NoCoast
Columbia, Missouri USA

Okay...

Bump and Passenger are great. Was bobbing my head for sure. Passenger gets third favorite song on the project.

Go Away was a let down because the beat is so funky and cool and yet MP didn't put as much in as you and the other feature. You guys 'did your thing' as they say. But... That beat has a lot of potential. Maybe time for a solo sequel? Go Away part duex aka Come Back???

Must Be Love is a really strong point. Hit your comfort zone. This is a played out theme but it really came from the heart and you had a lot to say. Works really well. My second favorite track on the album.

The chorus on Full Spin sounds forced.

Glad to hear a back and forth rap at Who's Line! Nice. Production selections are all strong. There's a cohesive feel to the album/group. This faster, more intense feeling needed to be reached towards a lot more.

How do you find numbers in strength? "What we need is a great strength of feet!" Great flow on this song, tho, Vokab. Very cool verse.

In general, I'm not enjoying hearing y'all rap about rapping so much. I like the personal self reflection and wish it would get even more 'real'. I'd like to see a more 'in your face' personal angle. For my taste, try going for a confessional feel as opposed to the 'we can all relate to these problems'. This would bring more heart and humanity.

"I don't have a one track mind" Ugghh. Yes. Here's the intensity I've been waiting for on the last track! Favorite song! Busy drums working well with your chorus. Really in your element here. This is reminding me of the Danny Brown 'XXX' album, who's theme is, 'If rap doesn't work, I'm ODing on drugs'. Now wether he really means it or not, I believe him. If we're making a whole album about how much rap means to us we should exaggerate, or let our ego do the talking and really sell the story.

Lots of solid tracks here. Well done!

The themes need to be explored further and brought to the front. I need more feeling and intensity. There's a lot here and I'd like to see more. The beats, voices, and competence in penmanship (flow, multis, comfort in your own skin) make it very listenable and only two tracks didn't work. I was really grooving on four of them.

Any solo joints coming out in the future?

If you aren't Vokab and you're reading this, I'll review your music and be honest. Hit me up.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 AM   #7
KellyBetz of NoCoast
Columbia, Missouri USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokab206 View Post
Thanks! Followed you back on Soundcloud too homie

Just wanted to post quote you to make sure you see the above post.

And use this new face

Old 03-16-2015, 02:44 AM   #8
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Repped! Good honest feedback. Much appreciated! Thanks for listening.

Nothing solo in the works. We got a few performances lined up and the only downside I see to the album is there are about 4 tracks that sound good live and I'm not sure if the others would. I can see the rapping about rapping part. Go Away was a challenge because of the drums in the beat being meh but the sample was fire. MP originally thought about scrapping his verse but I told him to keep it. Only a few tracks were tough for us to record and mix such as Who's Line. Not Leaving was a solo track I did but re-used it and added a verse and then put it on the album. Overall the big tracks we wanted to hit did just that (Bump, Passenger Seat, Numbers in Strength). Whisper might be my favorite because the sample game is insane! Thanks for the honest feedback and checking!

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 03-16-2015, 05:30 AM   #9
KellyBetz of NoCoast
Columbia, Missouri USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokab206 View Post
Repped! Good honest feedback. Much appreciated! Thanks for listening.

Nothing solo in the works. We got a few performances lined up and the only downside I see to the album is there are about 4 tracks that sound good live and I'm not sure if the others would. I can see the rapping about rapping part. Go Away was a challenge because of the drums in the beat being meh but the sample was fire. MP originally thought about scrapping his verse but I told him to keep it. Only a few tracks were tough for us to record and mix such as Who's Line. Not Leaving was a solo track I did but re-used it and added a verse and then put it on the album. Overall the big tracks we wanted to hit did just that (Bump, Passenger Seat, Numbers in Strength). Whisper might be my favorite because the sample game is insane! Thanks for the honest feedback and checking!

Of course. Keep it coming. Have fun at your shows!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #10
PriceAintRight
All I know is I'm wavy, b

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
PriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time AntarcticaPriceAintRight is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I don't know who is who (I can't lie to you), but I'm listening to the first track and there's a distinct comfort/flow difference between the first and the second MC.

The 1st MC seems a bit stilted, and is suffering from a bit of word cram (a few unnecessary words messing up the flow) and some overall hesitance. Old school cadence is cool, but there's a more relaxed way to go about it. El-P comes to mind.

2nd MC got right into it, and rode the beat like put a quarter in the slot. It's like all of the songs instantaneously get better as soon as he gets on the mic. He has some hella good switch ups and the charisma is infectious.

Also, the production is good so far. Let me scroll through for a beat skim:

Intro: Dope
Bump: Great

Passenger Seat: Very cool native tongues feel. Props to Aspect One.
NWHH: Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. First words are appropriate. "So Smooth"

Whisper: *Nods head vigorously* This is really good too.

Go Away: Airworks is fire, yo. I don't know if they're a group or an individual,but let them KNOW they are really good. Percussion is really good. Muted drums/bass here.

Story Telling: !!!!!!!!!!! Ooooh. Misleading intro. *Listens to see if I get hit with the switchup* Yep it kicked in. About a full second too late though. Don't know if that can be fixed. Still hot.

(Aside: I'm having a lot of fun with this LP.All these thoughts are in real time lmao)

Must Be Love: Man... these cats make me want to set my midi keyboard back up and get to work. Really smooth tracks, and adept sampling.

Up In the Air: This entire album is reminiscent of Section 80 for how good it is, and cohesive. This track is 1997 as hell. Black on Both sides Q-Tip material.

Full Spin: Pretty good again, Aspect One. Pretty good.

Something I'm noticing, and if it's just my headphones, disregard, but my engineer ear has you guys a bit above the beat, like your vocals are just a tad too high, instead of that perfect blend. It's hard to accomplish, because you lose the ability to when you listen to your own work.

Perhaps some fresh ears could do the trick, if you notice what I did.

Who's Line Is It Anyway: Feels like you guys could have been a LITTLE bit more animated/turned up vocally here, as this is Ghostface/Nutmeg level type production. Spazz out insanity.

Numbers In Strength: Airworks is just plain dope. First verse is great too (still doing a beat skim for the most part)

Not Leaving: 9Eleven eh? *Nods head approvingly* It even has that outro feel to it, good choice.

Beats are fire. No doubt about it. My main issue is the 1st Mc I mentioned. His disjointed word cramming ruins the flow, and it's like I'm listening for half of the song as his partner picks up the rock.

Comfortability on the mic isn't something you get overnight, but keep at it. The direction is on point, and so is the production ear. I'm downloading for sure.

Thank you for providing your work for free, and to be judged. Takes a lot of courage.
@vokab206

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6000GP View Post
Now that I think about it, I think I'd rather someone run up on me with a pistol than a dick beater. A pistol somehow sounds less terrifying.
PriceAintRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
vokab206
Battle Rapper

much appreciated. The first mc is me on some of the tracks. You can tell my voice after a bit. I've worked on my cadence and have some more work to do I know. Beats are fire. Our styles go together which is what I like about it. Thanks for listening! Spread the good word if you like it

soundcloud.com/vokab206