KOTD Vancouver-Gastown III Review

Old 07-17-2017, 12:46 AM   #1
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
KOTD Vancouver-Gastown III Review

Gastown 3 Review:
KOTD returns to Vancouver with their premier Vancouver summer card. I think this event should have been called “Bar Raiser” because everyone leveled up. This event felt like playing a video game. It was fun from level one (the first battle) until you were in for the final ride at the end to beat the game. The fundraiser was a huge success. Willie was super creative with his idea. I was messaging him during the week with more inside of the box ideas but this one was a hit. I met Cope’s mom and she was super nice! I got a KOTD shirt and two socks for $25 CAD. I gave my wife a pair of socks. Those ciders were good but $8.75 each. Expensive but overall a lot of money was raised. I heard $500 at one point. Not sure on the final number? Event flowed smoothly. Started at 6 and ended at 10. Was just enough for one night. Didn’t drag on. Onto the battles.

Bar J vs Billy Shakes. Good opener. Bar J started out stronger but Billy warmed up as the battle went on. Billy took control in the second and third and even had a line about Bar J having sports hernia and Bar J saying “how does he know this?” during the round. Shakes closed strong at the end and is super creative with his style. I had him taking this 2-1. Good way to start.

Flow Colombo vs Kreative. First time watching Flow. He’s from NY and lives in Arizona. Definitely has the street style. Both had good gun bars. Flow’s first felt like it was four minutes..because it was. Kreative’s felt real short. Kreative came back and had a solid second round. I think Flow got the third. I had Flow 2-1. I like his style but he needs to be a little louder. Kreative had better presence. Definitely a preference battle.

DP vs Dekstone. This was an amazing battle. Both of these guys put on. This better be promoted heavily when it comes out. I had Dekst edging the first. DP edged the second. The third was back and forth for me until Dekst said “my girl looks best before dates/your girl has a best before date”. The room ERUPTED. That swung momentum. This battle was nothing short of a BC classic. Glad I was there for it. Maybe DP’s best performance but Dekst the vet was a little more seasoned. Definitely check this one. Loved it. 2-1 Dekstone

Copasetic vs Jaws-This battle followed the DP vs Deks battle and was completely different. It kind of felt like a good vs evil wrestling match with Cope being the good guy and Jaws being the bad guy. First off, I’m a Jets fan and despise the Patriots but Cope is the one Pats fan I can get along with. Putting the hat on and referencing cheating was funny. But this was the best Cope I’ve seen. Jaws came back and was really good but I felt his material wasn’t hitting like it did vs DP. Cope continued to grace us with his improved cadence and presence. Mixing bars in and impersonating Jaws style. Jaws had some lines about Cope’s mom and sister who were in the front and it felt like he was cut off after those bars were spit. Just an observation. I had Cope got this one on a 2-1 count. Good battle. Definitely had the older Vancouver feel. Cope is so damn likeable. You want to root for the guy. You saw a lot of that tonight “heel” vs “face”.

Pigsty vs The Ginger Bred Man-WHAT A RETURN! Pigsty came out and picked up where he left off. Ginger stumbled out the gates six bars in. Sty took advantage. Take away from an old guy like me. After Sty delivered a killer first, when TGBM was spitting, Sty was standing on his side and Ginger was back against the crowd almost. Ginger came back and had some good stuff but the damage was already done. Very impressed with Sty. Glad to see him back. Hope he’s here for good. He was impressive here. Complete control. Gentleman’s 3-0 Sty.

Rupert Common vs Lu Cipher-Been a fan of Lu. Haven’t been watching him until this year really but he’s consistent and doesn’t waste space. Rupert Common is so thorough and a throwback emcee. Rupert was spitting but not a lot of his material was connecting with the crowd I felt. Lu had lots of “common” name references and had multiple flips. Rupert had a nice flip as well. I really enjoyed this battle but I felt like Lu had such good material and even admitted to writing this battle while playing a video game. Pretty good battle. I felt like Lu edged every round. Lu with the gentleman’s 3-0.

THE MAIN EVENT:
Real Deal vs Illipsis. So..RD’s first time in Vancouver..guy is one of the all time greats to me. Been around all over and earns the crowd’s respect everywhere he goes. He came out right away and hit hard (he went first). Illipsis came back even stronger and took the first. Second was the closest round. It was a preference round for sure. Some of RD’s bars didn’t connect because of it being in Vancouver. A few US references. Illipsis had some crazy Pokemon bars. Unbiased Review bar. The third it seemed like RD closed the door on the win and Illipsis third started off slow but it ended well. I could see where it was going but it was super effective. This is a high quality main page battle. I slightly slightly edge Illipsis 2-1 in a Vancouver classic. You could argue either way though.

Top 3 Battles Of The Night In Order:
1. Real Deal vs Illipsis
2. DP vs Deskone
3. Lu Cipher vs Rupert Common

Top 3 Performances In Order:
1. Illipsis
2. Dekstone
3. Real Deal
Honorary Mention: Pigsty, DP

Event rating: 8/10
Second best event I attended this year. First still being AHAT Portland-The Debut.

Next up: For MCs next weekend.

Vancouver-thanks for the love!

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:57 AM   #2
brodeezy

Mentioned: 627 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
the tl;dr is it probably isn't worth watching any of these battles except for illipsis rounds

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE: WD7DAY2: https://m.twitch.tv/trappingoutthebandwidth

the voice of The People©
The Peoples© champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:18 AM   #3
Emancee

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Real Deal>>>> Love the fact he represents no matter how big or small the event is [minus Caddy Ron, we don't speak about that battle].

Are there really guys called Pigsty and did he really battle the Ginger Bred Man. Genuinely no comment.
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:30 AM   #4
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Real Deal>>>> Love the fact he represents no matter how big or small the event is [minus Caddy Ron, we don't speak about that battle].

Are there really guys called Pigsty and did he really battle the Ginger Bred Man. Genuinely no comment.
https://versetracker.com/rapper/pigsty

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 AM   #5
I am LIL ILL
Legendary tier

Mentioned: 639 Post(s)
I am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICEI am LIL ILL is NICE
Pigsty is garbage to be honest. Not because of his bars it's mainly cause of the type of person he is..and we'll if I'm being honest yeah bars too
Ain't no real rappers that want to step to me Son! Theses rappers are more softer than a sesame seed bun. Speaking of seeds Star Almighty's Mom is digesting these nuts and up next to roast you guys is ekelon nope forget it he sucks!
I am LIL ILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 AM   #6
Emancee

Emancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time AntarcticaEmancee is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokab206 View Post
Haha! He actually has a semi-legit resume too, awesome!
Finally, after years of abuse, Manik snaps and, just like in the Illmac/ Saurus battle, unleashes some of the angriest texting ever.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:27 AM   #7
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

Mentioned: 476 Post(s)
illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Haha! He actually has a semi-legit resume too, awesome!
Yeah, don't listen to fake-ass Cartman above you, Sty is incredible. His battle against Soul is ridiculous, him against Rupert Common is one of the best GZ battles ever. Even in performances that aren't his best he has absolutely insane writing (i.e. Sonny Bamboo, Gin-I). Would definitely recommend checking out his work.

@vokab206 thanks for the recap and the kind words my guy, was good seeing you as always!

Still really pumped on how well this event went, represented pretty much every wave of Vancouver talent as well as the stylistic diversity at play in the city.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:29 AM   #8
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

illipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarcticaillipsis is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Also Vokab trynna make me look like some sort of nerd, they were Magic: The Gathering bars, not Pokemon lmao
Old 07-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #9
vokab206
Battle Rapper

haha. Whoops! Good catch! Likewise. Great performance!

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 07-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
SketchMenace
VIP

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
SketchMenace is not the worst person
pigsty>>>>
SketchMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #11
rogermellie

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
rogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICErogermellie is NICE
Quote:
Those ciders were good but $8.75 each. !
Cans, bottles or from tap and what percentage alcohol?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pityposter View Post
And yes, I promise you, on everything, you don't want any of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
there is no point of rewinding 5 times that 7 guys molested okwerdz family 11 times.
rogermellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #12
Swampnicca

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Swampnicca is a PY Poster
Pigsty the GOAT

Phil is just jelly
Swampnicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:21 AM   #13
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
Cans, bottles or from tap and what percentage alcohol?
Cans. Only 4.5%. Weaksauce. 16 OZ though so decent.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 07-19-2017, 02:08 AM   #14
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
I'm all about some crazy Pokémon bars
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:20 AM   #15
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettonetics View Post
I'm all about some crazy Pokémon bars
They were magic the gathering bars. I got it wrong.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #16
Emancee

Quote:
They were magic the gathering bars. I got it wrong.
We just say nerdshit on this forum, that way it covers every possibility, lol.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
Yagerbomb
FUCK

Mentioned: 486 Post(s)
Yagerbomb is not the worst person
that pigsty battle needs to drop asap tbh
Get 'em a fuccen soda
Yagerbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:14 AM   #18
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagerbomb View Post
that pigsty battle needs to drop asap tbh
Yeah man..he KILLED it. Slaughter.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 08-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #19
Swampnicca

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Swampnicca is a PY Poster
when is pigstys joint dropping ??

btw Im really getting into this Jaws kid nh
Swampnicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:25 AM   #20
illipsis
Hal Jordan of Recordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampnicca View Post
when is pigstys joint dropping ??

btw Im really getting into this Jaws kid nh
Gonna try to find out, been needing that release tbh. Bunch of great battles waiting to drop from that event
Old 08-26-2017, 04:46 AM   #21
Emancee

as this has been bumped anyway, have any of these actually dropped or is Ganik doing some 09 Smack shit?