Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
How are leagues affected by this Slaughterhouse thing?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
How are leagues affected by this Slaughterhouse thing?

Negatively because this league can blow every other event out of the water?

Positively because battle rap might become more popular?

No affect because this will come and go?
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
Takes some matchups leagues may want, but gives exposure. I dont see it lasting longer than the one tournament
Old 01-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #3
@VapeHop
Yaki Yaki Yaki

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE@VapeHop is NICE
cant judge til we see what happens, if they do this web series real dope with all these characters living in a house and it all builds to a real big event that launches a big financially backed league then yeah it'll hurt a bit.

but you can look at UFC and Bellator where UFC has the roots and brand value vs Bellator and the financial backing of Viacom as well.
@VapeHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:35 AM   #4
Beaux Jangles
bojangles snappin!!!

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Beaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICEBeaux Jangles is NICE
Everything will stay the same until battlers start signing exclusive contracts and stop being independent contractors. Until the, it remains a free for all.
GoldRaffleBojangles,SnowsCastleBojangles,QuoteSnap pleBojangles,ClothesNaturalBojangles,BrosBlackHole Bojangles,PulpedMangosBojangles,WroteDjangoBojangl es,SoakedFlannelBojangles,RogueAngelBojangles,Home NashvilleBojangles,CrowsHateLawsBojangles,ToveAvri lBojangles,ThrowShrapnelBojangles,GrossRainbowBoja ngles,NoRacialBojangles,RomeStatueBojangles
Beaux Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
My prediction at the moment is that between this and High Stakes, I'm guessing that more sponsors might decide to start fucking with battle rap.

At the very least, since the battles are 1 round and 90 seconds, they whet people's appetite for full battles/rematches to happen in the future (Diz vs Math, Verb vs T, Rex vs T, Day vs Diz, Rex vs Cortez). URL and KOTD already have the promotion to make the full rematches happen (some of these battles have already been thrown around in the past).

The reality show may gain some new fans from people who don't understand or don't really know about battle rap culture. 2014 may be battle raps reintroduction into the television industry with UFF, this, and Madd Illz's show (whatever it ends up being). That could also mean more coverage for bigger outlets. 2012-13 already got the leagues way more coverage and that might continue to spread.

More money coming into battle rap could mean we see industry rappers finally getting involved in battles. Productions values with likely rise. 2013 saw RBN (and other leagues try to start) and maybe we see it's return and if not, we'll likely see more people try to throw their hat in the ring.
JOBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
CrackFiend
++++++++++++++++++

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
CrackFiend is a PY Poster
Can be a gateway for people to tune in to battle rap, the slaughterhouse thing might pique viewers to finding more battles of Lux, Verb, and the others who participated. Could also mean industry rappers willing to ride battle rap's rising popularity like JOBone said.. It's all up in the air right now, but so far, especially after Highstakes, things are looking good..

Sometimes it seems as though Battle rap fans are a bit like children. All they want to eat is candy. If u don't let them, cause u know better, they throw a tantrum. If you do let them, they get a a stomach ache and blame you.
CrackFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #7
Gene Oakland
Anti-White White

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Gene Oakland is a PY Poster
It's freestyle one 90 second round right? I predict it will be a shitshow content and performance-wise that will completely misrepresent everything that makes the current form of battling respected as a legitimate art form. It will last one season, get shit ratings and all these guys will be back on UW, URL and KOTD within six months with nothing to show for it. I mean fuck, doesn't MTV still owe Diz like a million bucks? Literally?
Gene Oakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #8
My Kall

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
My Kall is better than Grind Time AustraliaMy Kall is better than Grind Time Australia
Major media companies already broadcast battles, like the BET/URL tournament, and it didn't significantly affect KOTD, so why would the Slauhterhouse venture be any more consequential?
My Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #9
SuperNegger
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
SuperNegger is a PY Poster
It all depends on how the battlers do. If people that didn't know about this huge battling scene start hitting Youtube looking for these battlers, the current leagues views will go through the roof. If the battlers are ass checks, nothing changes.

It will force the cream to rise to the top more than anything else.
Light travels at 186,000 miles per second. In a single year light will travel 5,865,696,000,000 miles. It would take 100,000 light years to travel, in a straight line, from one side of our galaxy to the other at the speed of light. The nearest galaxy is 2,000,000 light years away from ours. More galaxies exist in the Universe than there are grains of sand on every beach on Earth.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - Albert Einstein
SuperNegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
TYPE_Z
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
TYPE_Z is a PY Poster
The way I see it, it could possibly effect other leagues negatively. Slaughterhouse is most likely paying these guys much more then any other league has. If these top battlers consistently receive these much larger checks to battle, then that ups their price tag. A price tag that kotd or url would struggle to meet, if their even able to at all.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
TYPE_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 PM   #11
brodeezy

Mentioned: 630 Post(s)
brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
if they did it right id say it woulda had the effect URL used to have where every rapper wanted to go there and everything else was a stepping stone

but like URL..

they fucked up.

90 second single rounds on a beat and freestyle is wack and not how battle rap should be represented. this actually HURTS battling's chance to go mainstream once more cuz the new era of battle rap isnt freestyle, on a beat, or even that short of rounds anymore (for big matches) which resulted in the rappers fucking up.

they shoulda done writtens, 2-3 minute rounds, no beat, and given the dudes enough time to prep. the big brother shit coulda been hilarious with math diz ars and daylyt in the house together but they prob fucked that up too

so really this only has a bad impact on battle rap but the leagues wont really be effected other than it might prevent some potential new fans from followin the dudes that fucked up (and it sounds like some of the better rappers that deserve bigger fanbases fucked up cuz of the format)

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
deezy sorry i had to go somewhere but i am definitely in here
brodeezy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #12
brodeezy

brodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URLbrodeezy is on URL
^im buzzin off some preworkout right now and rambled like a mafucka idk if that makes sense rofl

white flood reborn and hemavol together >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Old 01-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #13
brodeezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Oakland View Post
It's freestyle one 90 second round right? I predict it will be a shitshow content and performance-wise that will completely misrepresent everything that makes the current form of battling respected as a legitimate art form. It will last one season, get shit ratings and all these guys will be back on UW, URL and KOTD within six months with nothing to show for it. I mean fuck, doesn't MTV still owe Diz like a million bucks? Literally?
on point

I GOTTA REP SO BIG
FOR THE CULTURE

the voice of The Peopleİ
The Peoplesİ champ

Quote:
Old 01-30-2014, 11:06 PM   #14
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
ICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time AustraliaICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time Australia
I personally think Eminem wanted to see these guys battle live right infront of him. Its for Eminem's pleasure you can do that kinda stuff when you are rich as fuck.

But if this keeps going I see them stealing every good battler from both KOTD and URL then we will get left with shitty fingaz battles or fucking Charron and FUCK THAT!!
ICeeZeeI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #15
fartface

fartface is a PY Poster
nothing will change
fartface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #16
SuperNegger
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
SuperNegger is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPE_Z View Post
The way I see it, it could possibly effect other leagues negatively. Slaughterhouse is most likely paying these guys much more then any other league has. If these top battlers consistently receive these much larger checks to battle, then that ups their price tag. A price tag that kotd or url would struggle to meet, if their even able to at all.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
They def aren't getting the pay checks you are imagining. Marketing and exposure from this is something these guys couldn't afford. That's worth more then a pay check right now, it's more for the long term. Instead of pay rent for a few months off it.
Light travels at 186,000 miles per second. In a single year light will travel 5,865,696,000,000 miles. It would take 100,000 light years to travel, in a straight line, from one side of our galaxy to the other at the speed of light. The nearest galaxy is 2,000,000 light years away from ours. More galaxies exist in the Universe than there are grains of sand on every beach on Earth.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - Albert Einstein
SuperNegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:17 PM   #17
Neanderthol

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Australia
HOLd THe Fuck UP!! WTF?
http://instagram.com/p/jz5Q7mHdvR/

someone put this pic up please
Neanderthol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #18
Profess

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #19
Profess

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
The current major leagues will serve as farm teams, and the other leagues will essentially disappear. The new Slaughterhouse League will become the new NBA. Purists will still enjoy the KOTD/URL/UW style but the mainstream will get behind signed artists and the soon to be signed current stars. The style will shift to a hybrid format that brings backs elements from the freestyle era and the best aspects of the current era. Where battle blogs have had mixed success at hyping events, the reality show format will foster more fan loyalty. At the end of the day the need for a real world set up will expire, and Mad Illz will be redeemed by the use of Google Glass and augmented reality for interactive marketing purposes.
Profess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #20
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

ICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time AustraliaICeeZeeI is better than Grind Time Australia
Budden would do pretty good I bet hes a slick talker.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #21
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessYoHistory View Post
this needs to happen holy shit
Dear Diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 PM   #22
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

Holy shit Diz scared? lool

BATTLERAP'S DADDY ‏@MRDIZASTER 6m

I cant believe i have to battle him....this shit is a nightmare.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #23
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

Wonder who Diz talking bout? Day or mutha fuckin Eminem? lol that would be insane
Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 PM   #24
uuuununnn
IM SPITTIN OUT THUNDER

Mentioned: 371 Post(s)
uuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarctica
should be daylyt ^
Old 01-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #25
uuuununnn
IM SPITTIN OUT THUNDER

Mentioned: 371 Post(s)
uuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarcticauuuununnn is better than Grind Time Antarctica
i wonder what the point of that budden / hollow picture was ?
Old 01-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #26
Neanderthol

Neanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time AustraliaNeanderthol is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
they actin like they gon battle
whether they jus fuckin around or not -no idea

Joe Budden ‏@JoeBudden 47m
Niggas always think they want a problem til they get it... @hollowdadonlom http://instagramTHAT PIC
Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 AM   #27
JOBone
Seasoned fan

JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
People are getting ahead of themselves with this whole shit.

This isn't a league in the sense of KOTD and URL. It's basically just a tourney. If it isn't successful enough for them to decide to continue it, it'll just go this one season and everyone moves on.

It's acapella and even though there has been some chokes, the battle is only one short round, and the prep time is short, it'll be okay. The reality show part of them living in the house will likely show all of that and that will be a lot of the appeal, especially for people who don't follow battle rap.

Here's how I see the timeline of the show possibly being done:

- the show starts giving a background of a lot of these guys and a brief history of the current battle scene
- it shows the guys first arriving to the studio where they are told about the format of the show
- they are told it's a tournament (which they already know, but it's for the audience at home) and they are told their opponents (which they don't know) and they are given one day to start to prepare for
- they meet slaughterhouse and get to joke and chop it up with them, you see these famous rappers are really big fans of these guys
- the battlers are taken to the house they will be living for the next few days
- this is where you get to start seeing these guys' individual personalities and how a lot of these guys are already friends or are cool with each other but start seeing a little of this other side to them, the battle rap persona/bravado
- In the house, the show follows their writing and memorization processes. Everyone has a different method. It also shows how stressful it can be to come up with creative material in a short amount of time AND memorize it all (which will allow the audience to sympathize with them when people choke because they will have seen what they went through to prepare)
- Day of the first round, they show the hours leading up to the event and the last minute prep they need. Things were a bit looser on day 1 but the next day is decidedly more serious. People are pacing around performing to themselves and not really talking to each other as much
- Showtime. They bring out the contestants and explain the brackets for the audience. The battle is the daily "challenge" and while be are thinking of the battle in the normal sense, it's more presented like their personal challenge and who comes out on top.
- After the battles and judgments, the winners and losers are all still in the house together. They get to talk about what they regret doing in the battle or where they messed up preparing, what lines hit or missed that they didn't anticipate. Again it makes it more about these guys as people than just focusing on the battle and the outcome like we tend to see as the fans.

Now this is all just my speculation, but imo this is why anyone would want to do a show about battle rap in this format. New fans may be lured in by the battles, but they stick around because of battle rap culture and that is something that is far harder to describe. When people see the preparation that is required and how you only get one chance, one moment to make it all happen, they'd understand what's at stake. If people get to see the respect these guys have for one another, people from all over the country, that talk shit to each other on stage but have some degree of camaraderie off stage, and I think in this particular contest most of these guys will all be pulling for each other to succeed while not wanting to lose (just imagine Day and Dizaster's battle, this is not just about who wins the battle, this is for who gets the opportunity. They could not do personals and go light but one of them has to walk away a loser. That's rough.).

I think this will be a really compelling show and surprisingly enough, it might not even be because of the battles. I'm very interested in seeing how this pans out.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:02 AM   #28
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
Yeah after finding out more about how this is being done, I see it having very little affect on leagues. It takes Lux vs Mook away from a league (probably UW) but that's about it. Any of those first round battles could be re-matched and done way better at any point. And most of these guys outside of Lux and Mook probably aren't being paid shit so it's not like price tags are going up.
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 AM   #29
Neanderthol

props to @JOBone
you sold me-Im hyped to watched this shit rt now haha

if this aint close to how it is, it should be
Old 01-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #30
GASP
Trollin Trolled

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
GASP is a PY Poster
Quote:
just to make people talk about it
ain't shit happenin
GASP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:09 AM   #31
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthol View Post
props to @JOBone
you sold me-Im hyped to watched this shit rt now haha

if this aint close to how it is, it should be

I think and hope it will be, but seeing Slaughterhouse talk to Sway about the show, they really emphasized that these guys are some of the best doing it right now and how these guys have built their own success and they just wanted to give them a platform. That says to me that the reason these guys were handpicked rather than having auditions of battle rappers or auditions of just random amateurs rappers is because they wanted these guys to be able to tell their story as well as showcase their talent.

I trust these guys as fans themselves to make sure it's done right and isn't just an attempt to cash in. I think that's also why they are releasing it on the Shady Vevo and YouTube rather than go through a network like MTV, even though they were able to get on MTV to promote a internet show. It may not be as big as if it was on MTV, but this way probably allows them more creative control since they deal with less red tape.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:13 AM   #32
eapoe

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
eapoe is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICeeZeeI View Post
Wonder who Diz talking bout? Day or mutha fuckin Eminem? lol that would be insane
Is there a reason he wouldnt talk about Math, whom he is setup to battle? His new "favourite person".
eapoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:27 AM   #33
CrackFiend
++++++++++++++++++

CrackFiend is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOBone View Post

I think and hope it will be, but seeing Slaughterhouse talk to Sway about the show, they really emphasized that these guys are some of the best doing it right now and how these guys have built their own success and they just wanted to give them a platform. That says to me that the reason these guys were handpicked rather than having auditions of battle rappers or auditions of just random amateurs rappers is because they wanted these guys to be able to tell their story as well as showcase their talent.

I trust these guys as fans themselves to make sure it's done right and isn't just an attempt to cash in. I think that's also why they are releasing it on the Shady Vevo and YouTube rather than go through a network like MTV, even though they were able to get on MTV to promote a internet show. It may not be as big as if it was on MTV, but this way probably allows them more creative control since they deal with less red tape.

I'm cautiously optimistic.
The last thing we want is battlers being regulated on what they write and say, great analysis JOBone!

Sometimes it seems as though Battle rap fans are a bit like children. All they want to eat is candy. If u don't let them, cause u know better, they throw a tantrum. If you do let them, they get a a stomach ache and blame you.
CrackFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:30 AM   #34
ICeeZeeI
Oliver ClothesOff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapoe View Post
Is there a reason he wouldnt talk about Math, whom he is setup to battle? His new "favourite person".

NAh he beat Math last night this is someone else he talkin bout.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #35
CallMeDecoy
Got Beef? Battles

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
CallMeDecoy probably likes in here/hair word play
Battle rap will always maintain some form of underground following.
This is simply a case of already polished battlers being given the opportunity to showcase themselves on a huge platform which they wouldn't have been able to otherwise.
CallMeDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 AM   #36
eapoe

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
eapoe is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICeeZeeI View Post
NAh he beat Math last night this is someone else he talkin bout.
I dont get this tournament, been lost since the get go.

Weren't they supposed to live together for atleast a week like a reality show before the first battle? So they already started?
eapoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:43 AM   #37
GASP
Trollin Trolled

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
GASP is a PY Poster
10 battle rappers 'living' together

Imagine Math tossing his willy in the same bed as Joe Budden

GASP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:54 AM   #38
Dynamo Dan
D-D-D-D-Dan namsayin'?

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Dynamo Dan is not the worst person
I think if anything this will build the leagues up more. Artists will see some kind of future in it if this all goes well then more talent will make their way into places like URL & KOTD giving their all for a possible opportunity at making it in a tourney of that caliber being showcased to a greater audience.

But I'm just talking. What do I know? Absolutely nun'n
Dynamo Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags