Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Content ID runs rampant on YouTube

Old 12-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Content ID runs rampant on YouTube

@King Fly maybe you can chime in on this but for those that don't know, YouTube has recently made some changes to their automated Content ID software which is compares uploaded videos to a library of copyrighted works and submits claims automatically on behalf of the copyright holder.

Their recent changes apparently have claimed many YouTube partners videos that have copyrighted music and/or video clips and not only stop monetization of what are usually popular videos, but place ads that funnels the money directly to the copyright holder while the YouTuber has to go through the process of disputing the claim if they have a right to use it.

It's all a pretty complex situation, but it comes down to YouTube using their software to handle all copyright violations for copyright holders. The system is flawed so with the recent changes, either people have been getting false claims (occasionally on content they themselves own) or their are apparently some 3rd party companies that no one knows of able to make claims on stuff they probably don't own and the YouTubers are the ones that have to go through the process of disputing the claim, which I believe can take 30 days to get turned around before someone can receive monetization on a video again. YouTube has sort of washed their hands of it by making a statement that claims are legit and there isn't anything wrong with the system, leaving it between the copyright holders and the YouTubers to figure it all out.

With YouTube's sort of "guilty until proven innocent" stance, many successful channels are getting hit with sometimes hundreds of claims at once for videos and it's caused some people to already leave to other sites rather than have to deal with going through the process of hoping to get monetization back on their videos.

It goes deeper than all this but I've been following the story for a couple weeks now since it's hit many video game related channels, often for music and trailer clips. Just due to the nature of many of those sort of game videos on YouTube, it's been a pretty big deal. I assume it would have effected other channels but I didn't hear much about it until today where they've done another large sweep with Content ID and even people who own all their own content like Dumbfoundead are getting hit with claims on their music.

Now, I'd assume battle leagues wouldn't have much trouble, assuming they don't have music or clips in their videos that could get claimed, especially since most leagues don't rely solely on ad revenue to sustain themselves, but it seems like this is the future of YouTube and potentially all content creators could be effected in what they can upload and monetize. I believe by 2014 some channels even have to have uploaded videos pre-approved for monetization before being able to be made public, slowing down the whole process for many content providers.

The situation is pretty messed up.

Last edited by JOBone; 12-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.
JOBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Mentioned: 637 Post(s)
King Fly is not the worst person
so THATS why!!!!

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk

yeah happened to like 30-40 KOTD battles. Just gotta dispute it and the claim is dropped unless the person claiming can provide written proof there is an infringement. Just a pain in the ass to go in and counter
King Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
mdk
Hetero Killer Whale

Mentioned: 832 Post(s)
mdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarcticamdk is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Hopefully they took all jenna marbles money
mdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
J.V.L.
Banned

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
J.V.L. is not the worst person
Were any of them mine @kingfly? Cause as much as I harass you guys to take down my videos I've never gone through the trouble of trying to flag them.
J.V.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
TheHipHopSpot

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
TheHipHopSpot is a PY Poster
ya was wondering the same thing. some random company ive never heard of is claiming my videos.
TheHipHopSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
King Fly
www.KOTDTV.com

Mentioned: 637 Post(s)
King Fly is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.V.L. View Post
Were any of them mine @kingfly? Cause as much as I harass you guys to take down my videos I've never gone through the trouble of trying to flag them.
they werent flagged or taken down
with a content id claim - the person claiming it then makes the youtube $$ off the video instead of the channel. So most battles that had music in the intro - if that artist is in a network on youtube, ended up getting claimed.
the videos were all still up - just not monetized for KOTD

but i dont remember seeing any of your battles - yet. been seeing new claims everyday i gotta dispute
King Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
JOBone
Seasoned fan

JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fly View Post
so THATS why!!!!

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk

yeah happened to like 30-40 KOTD battles. Just gotta dispute it and the claim is dropped unless the person claiming can provide written proof there is an infringement. Just a pain in the ass to go in and counter
Crazy that you didn't know. It's been a huge deal for lots of YouTubers in the gaming community. I was thinking of making the thread sooner but I was kind of unsure of what was happening, as were many YouTubers who had many of their videos claimed.

YouTube is aware that this is happening and like I said, it's been going on a lot especially the last couple weeks with big changes YouTube is supposedly implementing by 2014.

Here's a good video of a YouTuber explaining the situation better than I can

Here's a much more indepth discussion about everything that is going on if you care to watch:
Go to the video page description box and they have a few time stamps to conveniently jump to various topics on the subject.

Last edited by JOBone; 12-17-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
hawaiiand
Media

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
hawaiiand is a PY Poster
I guess this looks bad from the creators point of view and when YT users read blog/twitter posts from them complaining, but there are some very good reasons why people should embrace content id.

The tech YouTube is using is pretty incredible for identifying video, sound recoring, or event composition in user submitted content that is already claimed. We've done some testing on what will get flagged, its pretty remarkable the accuracy YT achieves.

For battle rap specifically, I really think leagues will eventually be embracing content id. For example, KOTD's 'so you think you can judge' contest could have specified in the fine print that users submit their own videos to their own channel, but still apply the KOTD watermark and footage from the battle. Then KOTD could claim those videos and monetize the views.

Another good example is the iBattle Hype Man parody videos that fans have chopped up and uploaded. With the use of content id, iBattle could potentially be monetizing all of those videos, which I think the majority have more views that the original battle. Also note that iBattle, or the YT network they work with (that has content id permissions), has multiple options for how to handle the claim, including ignoring it altogether if they choose.

Additionally content id can help protect against bootlegs, at least on the YouTube domain, as leagues would upload their PPV footage to YouTube and automatically flag user submitted copies of the video.
hawaiiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiand View Post
I guess this looks bad from the creators point of view and when YT users read blog/twitter posts from them complaining, but there are some very good reasons why people should embrace content id.

The tech YouTube is using is pretty incredible for identifying video, sound recoring, or event composition in user submitted content that is already claimed. We've done some testing on what will get flagged, its pretty remarkable the accuracy YT achieves.

For battle rap specifically, I really think leagues will eventually be embracing content id. For example, KOTD's 'so you think you can judge' contest could have specified in the fine print that users submit their own videos to their own channel, but still apply the KOTD watermark and footage from the battle. Then KOTD could claim those videos and monetize the views.

Another good example is the iBattle Hype Man parody videos that fans have chopped up and uploaded. With the use of content id, iBattle could potentially be monetizing all of those videos, which I think the majority have more views that the original battle. Also note that iBattle, or the YT network they work with (that has content id permissions), has multiple options for how to handle the claim, including ignoring it altogether if they choose.

Additionally content id can help protect against bootlegs, at least on the YouTube domain, as leagues would upload their PPV footage to YouTube and automatically flag user submitted copies of the video.
Interesting but there apparently is already possible room for abuse and people exploiting the system. It not only puts all the power in the hands of the copyright holder, but seemingly people who shouldn't have the right to make claims. What's worse is that YouTube knows that there are flaws in this system and seemingly are still pressing forward with it.

I don't know all the specifics but when the current system makes it so easy for someone to accidentally claim hundreds of videos
http://www.tubefilter.com/2013/12/17...ate-scale-lab/
Quote:
Top creators like TheRadBrad are still seeing their videos flagged, but to understand the sheer craziness of ContentID-Gate, it’s best to look at a recent Kotaku article concerning relative YouTube Multi-Channel Network (MCN) newcomer ScaleLab. In its attempt to serve its creators, ScaleLab accidentally claimed every single gameplay-related video on the network. “We messed up big time,” said ScaleLab CEO David Brenner to Kotaku. “Here’s how: While trying to ensure that the members of our MCN were monetizing their channels correctly, one of our employees accidentally ‘claimed’ all the videos in our network.”
and it's on the content creators to have to go through the whole process just to reverse it, something is wrong. It's nice that it's easy but it's too easy.

There is a high probability that this system can have a significant effect on all content creators in some way if things don't improve, especially people lower on the totem pole.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
yomama
Banned

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
yomama is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOBone View Post

Now, I'd assume battle leagues wouldn't have much trouble,.
the end
what a fucking long read for nothing
youtube problems

search youtube id content
About 903,000 results

search kotd
About 452,000 results

Last edited by yomama; 12-17-2013 at 10:43 PM.
yomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
west coast style

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
west coast style is not the worst person
damn adam sessler looks like he's been gaining some pounds in that video

edit: maybe it's just the beard lol
west coast style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #12
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama View Post
the end
what a fucking long read for nothing
King Fly just said they've been hit with lots of claims already because of this sweep and he didn't know YouTube has been doing this, so obviously it has had an impact since it's ceased monetization on some of their videos which they then have to provide proof they have a right to use it before they can make money.

It may be it ends up being more of a hassle than a problem, but in other cases for other channels, it has already significantly cut into revenue streams for videos that people should have been able to make money on but had to go through the process of disputing it.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #13
hawaiiand
Media

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
hawaiiand is a PY Poster
@JOBone Cant argue much.. my stance on this kind of stuff, generally, amounts to the fact that every system out there has 10 people trying to exploit for every 1 person trying to keep it secure.

One big issue right now is the disconnect between 'Network' and 'Content Owner'. I'd venture a guess that %99.999 of claims (any claim, not just disputed claims, which are a minority) are made by people who have nothing to do with owning or creating the content, but make the assumption that a channel which belongs to the network they run does own the content.

I don't mean to argue that people aren't having issues or that it isn't exploitable in its current state. Just that functionally it is pretty cool what they are able to do despite the negative press, and for battle rap specifically can directly expand the scope of, and types of, YouTube monetization at their disposal.
hawaiiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
mapleleaf
bumpin onyx in the jag

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
mapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarcticamapleleaf is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk View Post
lmaooo
mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
JOBone
Seasoned fan

@hawaiiand Yeah, fair enough. I don't have a partnership so doesn't apply to me other than that I watch lots of YouTube channels and have seen how the changes have begun to effect a large swath of content creators.

I've just seen how the whole copyright situation has been handled on YouTube, and the system in nothing new, as far as I'm aware, but YouTube obviously doesn't want to be involved in the legal quagmire that is copyright law with the millions of videos being uploaded all the time and the massive entertainment corporations pressuring them to have a system in place so they don't have to manually police YouTube and enforce their copyright on the hundreds of thousands of songs and videos they own the rights to.

Regardless of how accurate the software is, it deals with it all in such a broad, detached way, it instead places the burden on the content creator and unfortunately they don't have huge lawyer teams to protect them from abuses. It seems people basically just have to eat it if they run into problems. That doesn't even get into the whole idea of fair use, which is a big part of the debate in the gaming space right now.

It's just kind of crazy, but copyright enforcement has been a big looming issue with YouTube forever, especially since it's one of the most popular sites of it's kind on the internet.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #16
Ken I. Kickett
Why Yes, you may...

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Ken I. Kickett is not the worst person
Quote:
^Fucking Hilarious. Was not expecting this. Thank You

1. Pesci choked, he didn't plan it.
2. WRC tapes were not stolen, they were recorded over and no one wanted to admit it.

RALEIGHSCIENCE.COM
Ken I. Kickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #17
ErikForeman
Gggyea / ux9

Mentioned: 1283 Post(s)
ErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time AntarcticaErikForeman is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
This lmfao
Originally Posted by uuuununnn View Post
erik foreman is like the vince mcmahon of this shit ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gggyea View Post
holy shit FOREMAN is a ruthless mother fcker!!! he sees an idea working and makes it his own. ur a sly businessman my friend. crushing the opposition every chance u get.
ErikForeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #19
yomama
Banned

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
yomama is a PY Poster
Quote:

had to search for her
she deserves an angry pirate or a donkey punch
yomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
Chromium
Banned

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Chromium is not the worst person
since we're on the subject, a couple years back i went to upload a song of mine, accompanied by pictures of mine, and once the video was up it was refused Monetization for no apparently reason. I disputed it and got no response... Any ideas?
Chromium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #21
3xthoroughb
Crakk Nicholson

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
3xthoroughb is not the worst person
This is a great thread. Anyone seen copyright criminals or everything is sampled? As a sample based beatmaker in this day and age I find this all absolutely infuriating

http://crakknicholson.com/
3xthoroughb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
3xthoroughb
Crakk Nicholson

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
3xthoroughb is not the worst person
Laws are dated as fuck

http://crakknicholson.com/
3xthoroughb is online now   Reply With Quote