Drect vlog: Does Battle Rap Need Another League? | @Drect

Haze Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
I think if you are in a area that doesn't have a major league

The South is extremely unrepresented especially since GT has fallen off. Who's doing battles in Atlanta. Who's doing non street battles in Texas Who's doing battles in the Carolinas etc They're allot of places that are unrepresented.

And the new leagues are what keep the foundation leagues on there toes

The sponsorhip is good but that's up to the battle rapper and there manager to do

I think the having the guys paid by what they bring only makes sense for me. This is what I think battle league should do. Pay a little upfront and have oppurtunity to make more on the back end. I think also paying with percentage instead of money. So if you have 5 battles you make sure everyone gets paid. So the upcomer who puts in work to promote his battle can still get paid and the big name guy who don't bring in views doesn't get overpayed

Plus it's finding other venues than Youtube
I think leagues need to find more things to help branch rapper
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Homegrown
Street Poster

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Homegrown is a PY Poster
I feel sorry for Drect man, he is a battle rap league orphan.
Homegrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
J-Pro
Contributor

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
J-Pro is not the worst person
Drect has some really cool ideas. It would be good to have him back in the mix as a promoter/organizer/owner.
J-Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
rocky
Contributor

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
rocky is not the worst person
Every 2-3 times a year I have the same thoughts about wanting to get a bit more involved in the scene. I always think about throwing an event and trying to do things differently. I enjoy small venues and have grown tired of the experience at these large venues. I am always excited about the growth of the culture. I know I am close with many of the battlers in the scene so I know I can make a good event happen. But everytime I get excited, the same issues keep haunting me. How do I make my money back and how can I make this a continuable business with growth?

I love alot of the battlers like they were my own cousins, but I dont trust their business etiquette, nor do I feel many of them give realistic self-evaluations on what they are worth in terms of doing a battle. I have seen and heard from promoters who are friends who have told me the massive headache they have from getting battlers to agree on matchups, on pay, getting money recouped from venues, having money stolen behind the scene, editors holding footage hostage, battlers backing out last minute after fliers are made, other leqgues stealing the matchup, etc. U name it, and I feel like ive heard enough nonsense to make me or any reasonable investor weary of entering into battling as an investment. Fans too have unrealistic expectations of only wanting a handful of top battlers that they would pay any money to come out and see, and those battlers know this and have tipped battling into their favor, which makes it hard for leagues to lockdown these battlers. Fans will have no hesitation in bankrupting a promoter based on their demands of top notch video, sophisticated venues, hidef ppv, instantaneous editing, and the best matches money can buy. Its a massive undertaking to live up to those expectations.

I do got an immense amount of respect to my friends who are dealing with the grind to make big events happen, becuz I know the amount of time and money they are pouring into these ventures, and I envy they are making money with a hobby they love. Ill always be a dedicated fan to battling, but even I cant see a way of creating a model where it is fair to the battlers, the fans and the league unless we take out some of the over inflated costs of battling. The leagues that are currently doing this are doing a great job already trying to find a balance. Making anymore leagues will just get added to the pool of leagues that already exist, and will offer popular battlers another league to use as leverage to market a battle with when dealing with competition for bookings. In the end, we all want to see great footage, attend great events, and make this a susfainable business for all to continue getting paid. But the market is skewed, and for that reason, its a dangerous investment for anyone to undertake. Those 2-3 times a year where I get curious about throwing events end up becoming a reality check, and I just dump my money into ETF's like I usually do since I dont have to work to make that money grow, lol.

tldr mah 2 cents.

Carter Deems>>>>>>
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
Henrik

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Henrik is not the worst person
I enjoys his blogs, always a great amount of honesty in these. Would be too much like the old Grind time if Drect was a part of a KOTD South division, maybe together with Kap Kallous?

I like his perspective on judged battles, and I would like to see top tier match-ups in a league where promo were not an option.
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #7
bustergoodtimes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
bustergoodtimes is a PY Poster
Drect and Kap should do something. I feel like the battle scene is changing so much and if they don't they're just going to be forgotten. I've met Kap, he's a fucking real dude. He's hella focused on music and shit and is very business minded. Drect has so much love for the battle scene, but if he doesn't make a move soon he's gonna disappear. I say go for it.
bustergoodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 AM   #8
All Day
Drink8cokesAday

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
All Day is better than Grind Time AustraliaAll Day is better than Grind Time Australia
Can't convince myself to watch 23 minutes when I know the answer is "no"
JC
All Day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:04 AM   #9
Mistake
Shannon dougherty's nips

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Mistake is not the worst person
This thread just reminded me i meet a nice chick from north Carolina the other week and i have yet to call her the other..
Mistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 AM   #10
yomama
Banned

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
yomama is a PY Poster
the earth needs one less drect
yomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:37 AM   #11
yomama
Banned

yomama is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Every 2-3 times a year I have the same thoughts about wanting to get a bit more involved in the scene.
dont
please
Old 02-13-2014, 02:42 AM   #12
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Very interesting vlog by Drect and it was nice to hear a candid talk about his plans and how come nothing has manifested with EBA. I almost didn't watch kind of expecting some of the same vague talk of starting a league with no new info to share, but I definitely understand where he's coming from.

It's not just a problem for new leagues, it's a problem with battle rap. There is a lot of potential but also a lot holding everyone back. On the one hand, money has made so much possible and allowed people to dedicate more time and energy into putting on more battles than ever before but then also comes the host of other problems since money became involved.

If I was in Drect's shoes, I probably wouldn't have started a league either. There aren't a whole lot of money coming in, booking matches is competitive and difficult, if EBA was just one event every year or how ever long with only 5 events, how do you keep a fanbase or build on that?

I have been thinking about the idea of new leagues in a general sense and I think there is opportunities to find new niches that aren't catered to. That is the benefit of the "battle rap industry" being new is that there is lots of untapped territory but it still comes down to there not being a lot of outside investments and money coming into battle rap. Just like they have Rapgrid as a way to share music of battlers and other content, there can be platforms created in battle rap to contribute or bring in fans through other avenues.

I think Drect's idea of having different themed battles is cool but I'm not sure it's enough to set them part, especially if they are only doing one event in however long.

One thing I remember Drect saying is that he hoped to put more of an emphasis on battlers and their music, and through Rapgrid, he is taking some steps to make that a reality. I've been throwing out the idea to various people that a league should integrate cyphers into events. Not in a way that is just some side thing that people might think as just for fun or not serious but something that is as serious as being on the BET cyphers or someone really showing out like on Rapcity with Tigga in the basement back in the days or people spitting for a radio show like the Wake up Show or Stretch and Bobbito. Cyphers were the precursor to battle rap for me personally and when I see something like the Teamback cyphers of people taking the production of them to a professional level, not unlike what battle rap has done on an underground level, I just wonder why no one has integrated that into battle rap that made sense.

I'm just going to throw the idea out there because like Drect said in this video, I'm a fan and would just like to see some of these ideas happen, but if they had cyphers over beats that had the same production as battle videos, you have an opportunity to showcase battlers in a way that is more oriented to their ability to be a rapper and rap over a beat. It's more of a middle ground between music and battling and can help create the bridge that gets the fans of the music to become a fan of their battles and vice versa. To take that a step further, if you put the same competition that is in battle rap into cyphers, which already kind of exists when people watch a cypher and talk about who killed it the most, but have people judge things more for rapping than just punchlines and on different criteria that is inherent to rapping over a beat, you get a different experience. It also creates an environment when people are being pushed to bring their best verses and you can have people who are just dope rappers sharing the same stage with people who battle. If people also were to be compensated for their verse, there could be another way for someone to get on a card without having to do the same prep that is required for a battle.

It would just create a different lane. People might start writing for the specific scenario of who they are rapping with. Dope non-battle verses will have more of a place to be showcased for their skill and it can be a competition for something other than the comparatively more direct competition and confrontation of a battle.

I just think that there has been efforts in the past to bring new things to acapella battle rap or include other elements of hip hop, and in general I don't know if it doesn't mesh well enough with the audience, but it just doesn't seem to be successful. Besides other takes and tweaks on the battle format or acapella format, there isn't something that I think ties in so naturally with battles than cyphers and I hope to see a union of the two formats in some greater capacity in the future.
JOBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 AM   #13
Emseed

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Emseed is not the worst person
There's still a lot of battlers from NY and the South who can't get on URL and if they have a PG battle, URL wont release it because 'their' guy had a bad performance. There still needs to be a league for those people to go to like GTEC was, or even Poison Pen TV
Emseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:45 AM   #14
KBomb
2dope4you

Mentioned: 1551 Post(s)
KBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICEKBomb is NICE
for someone who doesnt want to watch 24 minutes of Drect can someone tell me why his EBA shit didnt work out?

but con go line made a don demarco come out my speakers for no reason
KBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:54 AM   #15
rocky
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama View Post
dont
please

Quote:
Those 2-3 times a year where I get curious about throwing events end up becoming a reality check, and I just dump my money into ETF's like I usually do since I dont have to work to make that money grow

Carter Deems>>>>>>
Old 02-13-2014, 03:01 AM   #16
yomama
Banned

yomama is a PY Poster
Quote:
did you expect me to actually read the rest?
i barely read your quote
its like a lush one outfit, it doesn't get better
Old 02-13-2014, 03:03 AM   #17
rocky
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama View Post
did you expect me to actually read the rest?
i barely read your quote
i get it. Ur super cool.

Carter Deems>>>>>>
Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 AM   #18
yomama
Banned

yomama is a PY Poster
Quote:
i get it. Ur super cool.
"boom bapping and shit
put your hand in the toaster
phew phew"
Old 02-13-2014, 03:15 AM   #19
Haze Skunk
Trinidad nice

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Haze Skunk is a PY Poster
Theres literally a new league every month. Might ad well Drect jump in especislly that hes one of the originals.
Niggas will always hate close their eyes and say he's irrelevant as if those weird ass league owners in Maine, vegas, indiana are relevant lol

I really like the 5 battle event idea. Drect is creative as fuck
But as we all seen battle rappers aint as hungery before they talk that shit on twitter
When its time to battle they shit the bed with subpar trash
And if they suck the first time no one will care after

@Drect if you listening. Small venues. My 2 cents
Haze Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 AM   #20
Luke
Midwest Movement.

Mentioned: 805 Post(s)
Luke is better than Grind Time AustraliaLuke is better than Grind Time AustraliaLuke is better than Grind Time Australia
The leagues that do small venues do shit business, have horrible footage, and can't afford good battles.

Anyways, @rocky.u need to create a league... jobone and u had ridiculously intelligent posts on this thread.

Top Five Best at "Flow", all time - Joey Jihad, E Ness, Arsonal, Calicoe, Yung Ill (when he is on point)
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #21
hawaiiand
Media

hawaiiand is a PY Poster
@JOBone I really like the cypher ideas. If @Drect hasnt already seen it, I'll make sure he takes a look at your post, but in reality I hope there are other league owners watching too. Its a good thought.

I have thought for awhile things like that which showcase these guys in a different light (than having months to prepare then perform 3 rounds of aggresive bars) has a place in the larger product these leagues are producing. I know cyphers in general have changed over time, but I always think of the end of WRC07 when Saurus/Illmac vs Jaze/Wapps finished but just kind of kept going kind of alternating single bars, then Arkaic/Eurgh jump in... All 6 were just fooling around off the cuff but I thought it was a cool thing to see even after the long grind of the tournament dudes, were having fun and just kept it going for another 30 seconds or so, in the same style/fashion as Clips/Goodz in their new show's announcement trailer, and I've thought for a long time that kind of free form larger group roast session makes a lot of sense for these leagues to capture and flesh out the product a little more.

Im not sure how what Im imagining would fit into the live events as a part of the ticket price and draw for the crowd (what I like about that stuff is the spontaneity and how the way they have fun doing it comes accross on film) but Im sure the guys who actually do have the expertise to produce and manage a live event could figure it out.
hawaiiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
The issue is that leagues need to do find different revenue streams than the the couple they are using now.

And they need to find more ways to compensate rappers than just giving them money to perform up front.

THere' needs to be a way to pay rappers on a basis of what they bring in to the company to make sure you recoup.
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #23
JOBone
Seasoned fan

JOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time AntarcticaJOBone is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiand View Post
@JOBone I really like the cypher ideas. If @Drect hasnt already seen it, I'll make sure he takes a look at your post, but in reality I hope there are other league owners watching too. Its a good thought.

I have thought for awhile things like that which showcase these guys in a different light (than having months to prepare then perform 3 rounds of aggresive bars) has a place in the larger product these leagues are producing. I know cyphers in general have changed over time, but I always think of the end of WRC07 when Saurus/Illmac vs Jaze/Wapps finished but just kind of kept going kind of alternating single bars, then Arkaic/Eurgh jump in... All 6 were just fooling around off the cuff but I thought it was a cool thing to see even after the long grind of the tournament dudes, were having fun and just kept it going for another 30 seconds or so, in the same style/fashion as Clips/Goodz in their new show's announcement trailer, and I've thought for a long time that kind of free form larger group roast session makes a lot of sense for these leagues to capture and flesh out the product a little more.

Im not sure how what Im imagining would fit into the live events as a part of the ticket price and draw for the crowd (what I like about that stuff is the spontaneity and how the way they have fun doing it comes accross on film) but Im sure the guys who actually do have the expertise to produce and manage a live event could figure it out.
Thanks. You get what I'm talking about. Cyphers have been tied with battles in a lot of ways in the past with battles sometimes spontaneously erupting from the middle of a cypher, whether it's in fun or more serious.

It's been something I've been thinking about for several years now and have thrown the idea around to whoever would listen. It goes hand in hand with the change in battle rap over the years from something more free flowing and spontaneous to more and more structured with a polished product. It's similar to the increased commercialization of hip hop and how many things that used to be considered a part of the culture fell by the wayside over the years.

I don't know how the best way for it to work would be; do people freestyle, do they prepare for a set amount of time, should there be a rigid structure or is do you try to retain the spontaneity? I'm not sure. I just think if there was the same drive as there has been by the fans of battle rap and people who battle to take freeverse cyphers to the next level like that, I think the fanbase could be somewhat already built in, the talent could already overlap, and it could bring in new fans as well.

It has struck me as the most obvious progression for where battle rap can go in the future since battle rap sort of is one of the few things relevant today that still embodies some of the old ideals of hip hop. It's changed over time, but it's the fans and battlers who decided what was important in battle rap and repackaged it over time through trial and error. It wasn't some radio station or execs of MTV sitting in board room completely removed from the culture making the decisions about what it relevant with charts and stats fueling their choices.

I don't know how it could work but if I see people preparing for cyphers with the same amount of effort as the best battles and seeing lyricism taken to another level through a somewhat different outlet than battling, I think it could be something really special.

Just think of the way battle rap has influenced main stream hip hop already. If someone can create a platform that is more respected that the BET cyphers, these independent artists have yet another platform where they are in control of their destiny, not the politics of the industry. It also allows for established artists to be on the same stage with new artists and battle rappers and everyone having the goal to prove themselves. If you can rap, you can be there without having to have a marketable song or be able to battle rap. It becomes about the skills once again. It could be a like a second pillar to the whole battle rap movement.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 PM   #24
rocky
Contributor

I like cyphers. How u incorporate them into live events to make it something people would pay top dollar to come out and see I dunno how to make that happen, but I agree it showcases the mcs in a different light. For example the very first URL event that had rex vs math, URL had Cyphers. They had guys like solomon and arsonal in the cypher. Im on my phone so I would google it for u so u can see how few views those cyphers got compared to the battles from the same event. URL has even made BET-like cyphers showcasing the battlers that also generated just ok views. How do u monetize the cyphers? If I was at an event and saw ars and solomon cypher, id be like "cool", but not something I would pay top dollar for. But if I was to see ars battle solomon, that would intrigue me alot more and would definitely be something id pay to see.

Sometimes I go to events and see battlers perform solo songs from their mixtapes and stuff. I know many people enjoy the music from alot of the battlers, but alot of folks use that time as a smoke or beer break at live events. I would rather those same solo performances be turned into battles. But thats just me. I support music shows all the time, but I dont see their place on battle cards, and I guess neither do live-audiences as people go outside the venue during that time for a break often.

Carter Deems>>>>>>
Old 02-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #25
rocky
Contributor

One format I really wish came back into style was spin da mic. But truthfully only a handful of people in the scene are skilled enough to pull an event like that off. Most battlers want to know who their facing, but I agree the spontaneity of an event like that does wonders to build a crowd's energy and excitement. Keeps fans on their toes.

It was cool to see kotd try and pull off the blackout4 format of announcing battles live, becuz I agree the format of how events are thrown needs to change to break the monotony of the event formats. Id much rather see an event with more surprises and spontaneous matchups than onez where I know in the back of my head what the likely outcome will look like. In fact I would pay to be surprised at this point since the scene has become pretty stale in terms of new ideas.

Unfortunately the freestyle format would have been perfect to experiment with new concepts when battlers still kept their freestyle skills sharp, but now I can see those same concepts absolutely crashing if they get a bunch of writers to ad-lib their bars as they go. Even fans have grown fickle and impatient to see anything not completepy scripted, no time for filler for alot of these fans. Its all apart of how the scene has evolved.

Carter Deems>>>>>>

Last edited by rocky; 02-13-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #26
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Quote:
I like cyphers. How u incorporate them into live events to make it something people would pay top dollar to come out and see I dunno how to make that happen, but I agree it showcases the mcs in a different light. For example the very first URL event that had rex vs math, URL had Cyphers. They had guys like solomon and arsonal in the cypher. Im on my phone so I would google it for u so u can see how few views those cyphers got compared to the battles from the same event. URL has even made BET-like cyphers showcasing the battlers that also generated just ok views. How do u monetize the cyphers? If I was at an event and saw ars and solomon cypher, id be like "cool", but not something I would pay top dollar for. But if I was to see ars battle solomon, that would intrigue me alot more and would definitely be something id pay to see.

Sometimes I go to events and see battlers perform solo songs from their mixtapes and stuff. I know many people enjoy the music from alot of the battlers, but alot of folks use that time as a smoke or beer break at live events. I would rather those same solo performances be turned into battles. But thats just me. I support music shows all the time, but I dont see their place on battle cards, and I guess neither do live-audiences as people go outside the venue during that time for a break often.
I hear what you are saying. The way I picture it working is if it cyphers could be as anticipated as the battles. I remember going to LA Riots 5(?) and that was a pretty good event at the time for when Absyrd and Caddy took over GTWC, but the impromptu cypher was easily the highlight of the evening for me.

Now something like that is difficult to replicate, from the energy to the people they got to participate to just Heartless/QP/Lush suddenly trading bars off practically the same rhyme scheme the whole time, but I don't see why a cypher can't be a highlight if it's actually treated like one.

I've been hyped for the BET cypher or listening to a radio cypher or seeing my favorite rapper freestyling with Tigga in the basement so I think if you can make the platform, the level of anticipation can be built. I think part of that is due to rarity so you'd have to have it be invite only and have everyone participating bringing their best. If you can establish that, you don't have as many people slacking because they don't want to be shown up by everyone else in the cypher.

Having a few established artists, even if they are just names in the underground, amongst other rappers and battlers can create some anticipation of something new to raise the expectations for the fans. You bring back some battle rap vets who don't battle anymore but are just working on music and you may have them more eager to do something like that to showcase their skills. Throw in a few top tier names and you already have something you can't just see everyday. It's more reasonable to talk an established rapper into doing one cypher verse than performing a set or battling, both of which will likely require more compensation.

If you give the cypher a name so it can be branded as something to look for on YouTube and to look forward to at events, I think it can be a main event in it's own right. Maybe have a main event cypher to start then include a undercard cypher later on down the line to prep people to earn a spot on the main cypher. You could do those smaller cyphers outside of events with a small crowd, if there is a crowd at all. As long as the main cypher is quality and special, it can start as a great bonus and maybe even get to the point that people go to watch a cypher as much as the main events.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #27
hawaiiand
Media

hawaiiand is a PY Poster
Not a whole lot to add, I think its a great thing for these leagues to do. I dont think it will ever be the main course at a live event, but it absolutely can be a supplement.

Slightly related..

This actually plays right into Drects comment about putting a story behind some of these battles. It can help introduce people to the rapper, which in turn will help them become fans of the battler, which I think a lot of hip hop fans dont buy into if thats the first impression.

Another example might be that the the battlers decide to use the freeform cypher format as a soundboard for whats coming in their career or calling someone out or building hype for their next battle.. and would seem more oganic, at least to me, than a vlog/blog with a similar agenda.. If we come to expect a cypher at events, and what the rappers do with that cypher is their own agenda, and someone decides to call out a rapper or tell their next opponent to come get that medicine, I'd be much more engaged.. as compared to a callout vlog for the sake of making a callout.

I think thats a pretty good way to start to chip at one of the biggest barriers to entry in battle rap, which is viewers often times need to know the whole history and instead could catch a cypher and immediately find interest in a battle thats coming soon.
hawaiiand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #28
JOBone
Seasoned fan

The doing call outs in the cypher is a great idea. People have done it before in cyphers and if you have that sort of thing that is also at events and people are checking it out online, you can get even more people talking. If you had someone who has retired, for instance, come back to do a cypher verse and they start calling out names, that's bound to create a lot of buzz especially if it's in the middle of a fire verse.

I just like the idea that cyphers are such a blank slate that someone could really bring any type of verse. It makes the types of emcees that would want to participate and the range of possible content open up beyond what is typically expected in a battle verse.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 AM   #29
PJ Sumroc
FormerBattleAddictCoHost

Mentioned: 346 Post(s)
PJ Sumroc is not the worst person
i thought @Drect had some really cool ideas. I actually met up with Gray from Rapgrid a week or so ago to talk about building with Battle Addict,,dude actually lives down the street from me haha. I think Rapgrid is in a good position to do more of the exclusive battles like Bigg K vs 9DM. I also agree with @rocky id love to see a spin the mic format..maybe with a smaller amount of mcs than the Jumpoff version ..just so people would have a chance to write for each other.

i honestly thought his format for 5 battle events was really dope. The main event,Legend battle, Female battle, Up and comer battle, and creative battle hasnt been done before, i really like that idea. If he does an EBA event like that i think the fans would really respond to it. The sponsorship stuff was interesting too. I fuck with Rapgrid. ..And i actually been waiting for them to do another exclusive battle. I also think putting on tournaments has gotten popular again too..so id suggest that as well.

Regardless if Drect starts up a battle league..i will def check it, support it, and spread the word.

BATTLE ADDICT
THE WAX DRIPPING GERALDO RIVERA MEMORIAL AWARD WINNING RADIO SHOW

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/battleaddict

https://twitter.com/Battle_Addict

-YOUTUBE-
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6qL...?feature=watch

Last edited by PJ Sumroc; 02-14-2014 at 01:22 AM.
PJ Sumroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:22 AM   #30
rocky
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
The leagues that do small venues do shit business, have horrible footage, and can't afford good battles.

Anyways, @rocky.u need to create a league... jobone and u had ridiculously intelligent posts on this thread.
bro, i would do it in a heartbeat if i thought i could make the thing grow and be sustainable, but every angle i look at makes me weary of it as a smart investment. I'll still be attending and watching battles as a fan. I'm a lifer.

Carter Deems>>>>>>
Old 02-14-2014, 02:32 AM   #31
rocky
Contributor

I would wager that you enjoyed those battles more so becuz they were literally spontaneous and unexpected. We all enjoy something that was organically made and surprised us at how entertaining it can be, which is why freestyle was so popular back in the day, and cyphers work wonders at that making that come to life. I would say its great to see and be apart of, but making it as apart of a storyline to burgeon battles out of may be difficult as well. Likely most of the mc's in the cypher if they know it's going to be taped or who's gonna be in it, may just go after the biggest name in the group and pick on him to instigate a battle out of. It can be easily predictable who the target is based on popularity and who's got the most views worth battling, but then that just becomes whack and as predictable as regular 1 on 1 battles. The content and seeing mc's spit in cyphers is great to hear different voices, but its more of a fun and laid back vibe from every cypher i've been in, and doesn't create that raw and competitive energy a battle creates. Its a fun idea to have some mc's spit at an event, but how to recoup money from having those mc's perform is still where i can't get to. But its fun nonetheless.

Carter Deems>>>>>>
Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 AM   #32
JOBone
Seasoned fan

Quote:
I would wager that you enjoyed those battles more so becuz they were literally spontaneous and unexpected. We all enjoy something that was organically made and surprised us at how entertaining it can be, which is why freestyle was so popular back in the day, and cyphers work wonders at that making that come to life. I would say its great to see and be apart of, but making it as apart of a storyline to burgeon battles out of may be difficult as well. Likely most of the mc's in the cypher if they know it's going to be taped or who's gonna be in it, may just go after the biggest name in the group and pick on him to instigate a battle out of. It can be easily predictable who the target is based on popularity and who's got the most views worth battling, but then that just becomes whack and as predictable as regular 1 on 1 battles. The content and seeing mc's spit in cyphers is great to hear different voices, but its more of a fun and laid back vibe from every cypher i've been in, and doesn't create that raw and competitive energy a battle creates. Its a fun idea to have some mc's spit at an event, but how to recoup money from having those mc's perform is still where i can't get to. But its fun nonetheless.
Well I definitely enjoyed it more because it was spontaneous, but that's not why I think it could be successful. You could argue that the spontaneous nature of battles in the past made them better but with more prep time, the end product is undeniably more polished overall and the format has changed due to that fundamental shift.

I'm saying if people when into a cypher knowing to prepare a dope, fresh verse to try to showcase the best of their ability, the end result would be different from people kicking a mixtape verse or a off the top freestyle. And point wouldn't be to make it so it could become a free-for-all battle, it would be people kicking some freeverses.

I think if people can be a draw for participating in an anticipated cypher, it would only be fair that they received some compensation imo. You have to think that battles didn't used to be something people got paid for just to perform. It was people putting up their own money against the other person's money or people battling for a prize in a tourney or something along those lines. Granted, if someone is getting paid, say, a grand to spit 3 3 minute verses in a battle, someone isn't going to be able to ask for the same for 32 bars in a cypher, especially since a cypher isn't going to be the same draw, at least not at first, but it could also be a sort of baseline for what the battlers are being compensated for their time and effort and what would make sense to pay others.

It might take some work to see how the numbers all line up, but I don't think someone could really ask for more than they'd charge to perform a set or record a feature. It would be someone similar to both but there is not the same sort of time put into the former (nor would it create the same draw) and you have less opportunities to recoup on the latter since you wouldn't be selling it like records.

It's just all ideas, and maybe it might not be worth it, but I think there is potential to make cyphers as much of an attraction as battle rap has become. If you think back to like 5 years ago, I don't think anyone would have thought it would be able to get to where it is now. Maybe cyphers can become the same caliber of a platform. The appeal is different but that's the point.

Tags