Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
Let's evaluate reasons why most battle rappers have a bad approach to their music car

Old 06-22-2016, 05:05 AM   #1
PublicStaticVoid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
PublicStaticVoid is a PY Poster
Let's evaluate reasons why most battle rappers have a bad approach to their music car

-no song writing structure(these days the idea of the standard 16 bars verse + chorus with no notable variations is dead. Some of these guys don't ride the beat but just spit a 16)
-terrible hook game(look up 'hate me versus I'm great' by dirtbagdan)
-Music videos have no concept or creative direction(very basic and cliche directing. The madness video was great! Better than other guys who just rap behind a wall)
-This one is a bit sketchy but wardrobe. It doesn't have to be flashy but most of these clothes are eminem fan 2002 core especially on the KOTD side. It's almost like it is straight out of a choosing video.
-voice control and cadence.
-outdated instrumentals. Listen, I do not mean everyone should rap to trap but this is the bad outdated. Most of these instrumentals are not rekindling the elements that earlier eras of music held ,they are outdated because these musicians are not bringing anything new to rejuvenate what we liked about these eras of music.
-Failure to invest in themselves. One particular excuse I hear for battling is that the artist is using battling as a free ad platform. This would be great if the battle rappers did actually that. I see a lot of battlesfrom these artists but I don't see a lot of them putting the work in from the artist side.

A lot of typos, I have been writing from my phone. Let us have a quick discussion about what can be done to improve this. Again these are just subjective opinions based on my outlook of the scene

PublicStaticVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:46 AM   #2
riffic
RYD ;

Mentioned: 1462 Post(s)
riffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battleriffic is pushing for a PG battle
Because they're stuck on the idea that lyricism is about being witty and that the basis of songwriting is flexing their technical skills and not about sounding good sonically while communicating emotion
i have buddies who told me about a guy falling while snowboarding and injuring his ribs to the point that it messed up his breath control, so he had to sit out of his hobby for a few months. something tells me they were talking about psycoses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjjddd? View Post
WE IN HERE NUTDOGS TURN UP. ii
riffic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
ass2myface

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
ass2myface is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffic View Post
Because they're stuck on the idea that lyricism is about being witty and that the basis of songwriting is flexing their technical skills and not about sounding good sonically while communicating emotion
Truth in this but a shame cats like Saigon n Grafh never blew up more... Both them cats showed a ton of emotion... You ever hear Grafh's autograph CD? That shit was one of the best direct, in your face Cd's i heard... Can't post youtube songs, cause only a few of them grafh joints are on youtube... grafh had the perfect balance of real talk, wordplay, song making ability on that shit.. Sad that shit didn't see the light of day, to the casuals... brought that up, cause grafh used to be heavy in cypher/ written bar shit in NY for a while...

IMO, most rappers outside the battler arena, can't put a concept cd together either.. Hell I love JadaKiss, but his CD's leave more to be desired tbh...
ass2myface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:48 PM   #4
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
the real answer to this is because they're rappers and most rappers don't have a clue about making appealing music and building a brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Schrader View Post
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Dear Diary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
The Wrist
my first name is The

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
haha. music car. imagine driving one of those?

http://www.cdbaby.com/thewrist
album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
The Wrist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
Breakneck
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Breakneck is better than Grind Time AustraliaBreakneck is better than Grind Time Australia
Its difficult to make a complete , quality hip hop album that doesn't lose focus. Most industry rappers cant do it so Im not sure why everyone is so hard on battle rappers about it.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
Casual

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Casual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local leagueCasual is a vet in their local league
Honestly most of them just aren't good. It's not approach...they just don't have it.

I mean, let's break this down:

-You got the dudes who battle rap and aren't even good at that. Dudes like Charron who can't rap a lick and just get up there and say jokes they saw on google that they've paraphrased to rhyme. This groups a fucking write off, obviously they aren't gonna be good rappers.

-You got the good battle rappers. These guys can rap well. The issue here is that to become this good of a battle rapper you gotta write a certain way...these guys are so ingrained with the battle style that it's probably pretty fucking hard to transition into song writing. Outside of the rapping part these are vastly different things that require different mindsets.

-Then you have a small group of guys who are good to great battlers who also make pretty good music. This group generally makes pretty underground stuff, either mostly bars (like you mentioned) or more backpacker stuff. Either that or they're going the gimmicky route like Chedda Cheese and Rone. There's a few dudes really close to having the whole package, like Ness Lee....

Basically you gotta understand that battle rapping is a completely different game. It might use the same general tools but it's still a different mindset and it takes practice. It's like Lebron James...he's got all the physical ability to play both basketball and football...but he's been focusing on basketball for years... If some of these guys had just focused completely on music as much as they do battling, they could probably be pretty good by now.

Why do you think industry rappers suck at battling?

Last edited by Casual; 06-22-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Casual is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #8
billing

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
billing is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual View Post
Honestly most of them just aren't good. It's not approach...they just don't have it.

I mean, let's break this down:

-You got the dudes who battle rap and aren't even good at that. Dudes like Charron who can't rap a lick and just get up there and say jokes they saw on google that they've paraphrased to rhyme. This groups a fucking write off, obviously they aren't gonna be good rappers.

-You got the good battle rappers. These guys can rap well. The issue here is that to become this good of a battle rapper you gotta write a certain way...these guys are so ingrained with the battle style that it's probably pretty fucking hard to transition into song writing. Outside of the rapping part these are vastly different things that require different mindsets.

-Then you have a small group of guys who are good to great battlers who also make pretty good music. This group generally makes pretty underground stuff, either mostly bars (like you mentioned) or more backpacker stuff. Either that or they're going the gimmicky route like Chedda Cheese and Rone. There's a few dudes really close to having the whole package, like Ness Lee....

Basically you gotta understand that battle rapping is a completely different game. It might use the same general tools but it's still a different mindset and it takes practice. It's like Lebron James...he's got all the physical ability to play both basketball and football...but he's been focusing on basketball for years... If some of these guys had just focused completely on music as much as they do battling, they could probably be pretty good by now.

Why do you think industry rappers suck at battling?
This was incredibly on point.
billing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
this looks like a good thread to say illmaculate makes extremely bad music and anyone who argues otherwise has bad taste
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:10 AM   #10
3xthoroughb
Crakk Nicholson

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
3xthoroughb is not the worst person
@Casual and @riffic bodied this. nothing more to add

dumb and lock the only battle rappers to get music somewhat poppin in the new era

http://crakknicholson.com/
3xthoroughb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:47 AM   #12
6000GP
tupac back

Mentioned: 563 Post(s)
6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
I like music
6000GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:52 AM   #13
6000GP
tupac back

6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league6000GP is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicStaticVoid View Post
-outdated instrumentals. Listen, I do not mean everyone should rap to trap but this is the bad outdated. Most of these instrumentals are not rekindling the elements that earlier eras of music held ,they are outdated because these musicians are not bringing anything new to rejuvenate what we liked about these eras of music.
I've posted this song at least a few times, but Brizz actually made some shit on an oldschool, boombap, backpacker type beat that I really fuck with

I'm in a music listening mood, so if anyone wanna drop some battle rapper shit real quick, I'm down for a listen and to give some honest feedback as just a dude who likes music...

Please no surf tho. That dude is wild overrated.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:58 AM   #14
6000GP
tupac back

Always fucked with this Illmac song, too

Old 06-24-2016, 03:05 AM   #15
6000GP
tupac back

Old 06-24-2016, 04:39 AM   #16
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE

I love this and will not hear it said that it's not fire
Jack Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:42 AM   #17
Jack Deuce
Media

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Jack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICEJack Deuce is NICE
Unpopular opinion, battle rappers are better off not trying to sound like who's poppin at the moment. There's gotta be 10s or hundreds of thousands who rap on some level, like 15-20 who are poppin? Find a niche, exploit it as hard as you can, find a decent living.
Jack Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:50 AM   #18
6000GP
tupac back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Deuce View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP9D0RXMicg

Lol, Suge got the rap version of a death metal voice for his hooks and adlibs. Shit gets me kinda hyped. UNGHHUH!
Old 06-24-2016, 05:17 AM   #19
Blanco14
I'm from Houston homie

Mentioned: 644 Post(s)
Blanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICEBlanco14 is NICE
Dumb and tsu surf are the only battlers I would be hype to hear a new single

No one else can sound good/have bars/ have decent production
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I don't have girls in my bed. I don't bring anyone to my house
Blanco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #20
AdarOne
shoots fair ones

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
AdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ass2myface View Post
Truth in this but a shame cats like Saigon n Grafh never blew up more... Both them cats showed a ton of emotion... You ever hear Grafh's autograph CD? That shit was one of the best direct, in your face Cd's i heard... Can't post youtube songs, cause only a few of them grafh joints are on youtube... grafh had the perfect balance of real talk, wordplay, song making ability on that shit.. Sad that shit didn't see the light of day, to the casuals... brought that up, cause grafh used to be heavy in cypher/ written bar shit in NY for a while...

IMO, most rappers outside the battler arena, can't put a concept cd together either.. Hell I love JadaKiss, but his CD's leave more to be desired tbh...
you have awful taste in music
AdarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:21 AM   #21
AdarOne
shoots fair ones

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
AdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICEAdarOne is NICE
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP9D0RXMicg

Quote:
Unpopular opinion, battle rappers are better off not trying to sound like who's poppin at the moment. There's gotta be 10s or hundreds of thousands who rap on some level, like 15-20 who are poppin? Find a niche, exploit it as hard as you can, find a decent living.
your 2nd post is hypocritical next to your 1st one
AdarOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:12 AM   #22
Ness Lee
VIP

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Ness Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time AustraliaNess Lee is better than Grind Time Australia
most humans suck at making music. battlers are human. but yeah i agree every reason most battlers suck. it applies to underground heads as well. niggas think lyrics = songs
Ness Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #23
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
How about the fact majority of rappers even ones who have had some industry success dont know how to make songs
So battle rappers wont either

And there's the issue of allot of battle rappers do make great music they just dont have the buzz.

If you check out allot of the non top tier battlers out there
The mid tier and even some lower tier battlers They got some great tunes.

Then its the targetting. Some times you arent the target market for said rapper so it make sense why you might not like it

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #24
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1155 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
battle rappers are mostly stuck in the past music wise
i hear most of them make songs like i used to when i was 13 n shit

rap has changed and literally no battle rapper changed with it
even when they attempt to be modern i.e. fresco that shit goes from 2002 to 2009
SpecialOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #25
MrMumbles905
Repping East905

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
MrMumbles905 is not the worst person
plus is it good music or hit music they cant do

I love shit that sounds wont pop today but its from my generation

I think the era of accapella battling will produce the worst rappers because its all pen game and punches. These new guys will never have to learn rhythm or anytype of flow on a beat.

They will just rap over the beat

BMTO - SNOW WHITE ON DA BLOCK vs MZBLACKPEARL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBrh4rIwjQ

DAT KING SHIT!!! Entertainment blog
MrMumbles905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #26
SpecialOh

Mentioned: 1155 Post(s)
SpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local leagueSpecialOh is a vet in their local league
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMumbles905 View Post
plus is it good music or hit music they cant do

I love shit that sounds wont pop today but its from my generation
if its not hit music to u then ur in the minority right
so like they dont make music that appeals to most ppl who listen to music

to me thats an issue

and not saying i can do better cuz i cant and ur all gonna see that soon :P
mr. mumbles u gonna blog about my originals ? nxt month bby
SpecialOh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #27
The Wrist
my first name is The

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
The Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time AntarcticaThe Wrist is better than Grind Time Antarctica
making good music is considerably more difficult than doing acapella poetry from the streets...its that simple

http://www.cdbaby.com/thewrist
album from whenever featuring RA The Ruggedman, Okwerdz, J Zone, C Rayz, Reef, PH, Illmind, Vanderslice and I forget. Buy it. I was on one Scribblejam DVD. Show some respect.

youtube.com/setherwrist
The Wrist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #28
pugonomics
Shooter from the Hooter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
pugonomics is not the worst person
Any time I hear a song where they're basically battling an imaginary person I fuckin cringe.
WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?
pugonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:09 PM   #29
Franklin Drebin
Police Squad

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Franklin Drebin is better than Grind Time AustraliaFranklin Drebin is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugonomics View Post
Any time I hear a song where they're basically battling an imaginary person I fuckin cringe.
WHO ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?
I always feel like they're talking about me, which sucks cause then I get angry and drop an elbow on my cassette player.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
I couldn't believe it was her. It was like a dream. But there she was, just as I remembered her. That delicately beautiful face. And a body that could melt a cheese sandwich from across the room. And breasts that seemed to say... "Hey! Look at these!" She was the kind of woman who made you want to drop to your knees and thank God you were a man! She reminded me of my mother, all right. No doubt about it.
Franklin Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 03:53 AM   #30
ass2myface

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdarOne View Post
you have awful taste in music
you trolling lol.. nobody ever said grafh's autograph cd was wack... you hate on ras kass and most cats have his soul on ice cd as a classic... And saigon had most cats in New Yorks ear, when he came out the pen... I'll take that as terrible taste I guess
Old 06-25-2016, 07:13 AM   #31
Yadda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yadda is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness Lee View Post
most humans suck at making music. battlers are human. but yeah i agree every reason most battlers suck. it applies to underground heads as well. niggas think lyrics = songs

Being able to battle used to be a rite of passage for upcoming rappers. Now because battle rap is more popular than ever, they have become separate lanes. It's like the opposite of MMA evolution: artists used to train multiple disciplines and now specialize in just one.

Caddy was pretty good at both:

Yadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #32
ghettonetics
iWalkthisplanetkeyed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
ghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarcticaghettonetics is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:
Originally Posted by ass2myface View Post
you trolling lol.. nobody ever said grafh's autograph cd was wack... you hate on ras kass and most cats have his soul on ice cd as a classic... And saigon had most cats in New Yorks ear, when he came out the pen... I'll take that as terrible taste I guess
soul on ice was a classic but he did not do a damn thing after that...
ghettonetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:48 AM   #33
ass2myface

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettonetics View Post
soul on ice was a classic but he did not do a damn thing after that...
meh his apollo brown collab cd was golden.. You hear that yet. The jack splash shit wasn't as good but had gems

How you judging emcees fam? Most rank Jadakiss fairly high, and he can't put out a classic or close to it cd in 20 years... Use that example cause both mentioned have a shitload of dope song that cats been putting on mix cd's/ ipads/ phones for a while...

Dr. Dre had Ras in his top 5 before, and kendrick took shit from ras kass also.. If he isn't cats cup of tea it's cool, but acting like he was a one cd hit, is weird to cats that respect the rap culture imo...