Forum Home > Battle Videos > Battle Video Archives
top 10 OAT vs top 10 as of the past couple years give or take another couple years..

Old 12-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #1
Feral Linguist
otbva

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Feral Linguist is not the worst person
Post top 10 OAT vs top 10 as of the past couple years give or take another couple years..

Strictly for comparison, gonna be interested to see how similar or different the collective looks

I know it's been done a thousand times but why not again?

personal 10 of all time as of today, the absolute GOAT
Quantum Physics
Dirt
Bender
Aye Verb
B-Magic
Loaded Lux
Tsu Surf
T-Rex
Cadalack Ron
Young Gattas

modern times / honorable mentions based on recent showings + consistency prior if applicable (4,5 or fuck it 8 years - since shit's gotten so different)
Calicoe (killed surf and roc)
Fresco (killed qp and saurus)
Illmaculate (killed jc w/ a goat performance)
Pat Stay (killed roc myers and verb, notable performance v noshame)
Ill Will
Bigg K (ahdi boom, etc)
Rone (classics v okwerdz and nils among others HM)
Nu Jerzey Twork
Daylyt (classics v clips and chilla, HM for battle v Roc this year)
Emerson Kennedy

bill collector, k-shine, big t, dna, shufflo, wizard, dialect, troy brown, ty law, philly swain, gjonaj, t-top, young x & uno lavoz not far behind

fuck tay roc, hollow da don, pass, murda mook, qleen paper, jc, math hoffa, hitman, dizaster, arsonal, goodz, soul, the saurus, ness lee, e ness, geechi gotti, brizz rawsteen, 40 barrs and everybody else

Last edited by Feral Linguist; 12-23-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Feral Linguist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
Emancee

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Emancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICE
Dirt and Caddy Ron for me are the definition of guys that were good in their era but don't have that timelessness. A Dirt battle came up randomly in my feed and watching him trying to cram as many multis into a bar as possible just sounded so dated now.

Genuinely interested which performances of theirs do you think are timeless classics?
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #3
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Dirt and Caddy Ron for me are the definition of guys that were good in their era but don't have that timelessness. A Dirt battle came up randomly in my feed and watching him trying to cram as many multis into a bar as possible just sounded so dated now.

Genuinely interested which performances of theirs do you think are timeless classics?
i get what you mean, and I'll get back to you about the best of their work.

Are you goin to post your own top 10 etc though?
Old 12-24-2020, 12:58 AM   #4
Profess
is consistently top 5

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Verb, Bigg K, Daylyt, Clips, Mook, Lux, Hitman, Illmac, Diz, The Saurus
Profess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 02:37 AM   #5
Emancee

Emancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Linguist View Post
Are you goin to post your own top 10 etc though?
I always have a problem with this because guys like Day are guys I think are great, but I have trouble watching most of their battles now.

Verb,
Lux,
Hitman,
Illmac,
Pat Stay,
Shotty,
Bender,
Bill Collector
Then probably another Brit probably OShea but Dialect is a good choice too.
One of Goodz, Iron and Rum Nitty

I suspect that in a few years Geechi could well be in there, possibly even JC if he goes back to what made him popular instead of trying to sound deep
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...

Last edited by Emancee; 12-24-2020 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #6
Feral Linguist
otbva

Thumbs up

Quote:

hi fren, this discussion is always such a drag, i have tried to get more into hitman but failed, same with clips but to a lesser extent i.e. i like some of his battles. i dunno, but i'll try to sate your curiosity

best caddy battles are v ab hoggish (hoggish's rounds are slept on), v tantrum, ncredable, qpsons, pariah, reverse live, feel like i'm forgetting a couple exceptional ones. i return to his rounds v lex d.

dirt v godzilla is my favorite. then followed by troy brown, dia, jusdaze.... t riley, m ciddy. those are more like, actually recommendable. i like him v bender because i'm a fanboy of both their styles. he lost v PH in grindtime and bagged lots of no-names. troy brown was a debatable that has a lot of replay value for me
Old 12-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #7
Feral Linguist
otbva

@Emancee what are the best JC performances? I liked him v Danny Meyers, not as much v Chilla/Illmac or many others
Old 12-25-2020, 12:18 AM   #8
Emancee

Quote:

dirt v godzilla is my favorite. then followed by troy brown,dia, jusdaze.... t riley, m ciddy. those are more like, actually recommendable. i like him v bender because i'm a fanboy of both their styles. he lost v PH in grindtime and bagged lots of no-names. troy brown was a debatable that has a lot of replay value for me
I feel you about the being a drag thing. If someone asked me to explain my choices it would be tough. Why do I enjoy Oshea,I have no idea why but I just do.

I'm starting to think that I'm not all that impressed by multis the way most guys do them.I remember being confused why everyone thought Souls third against Illmac was so good, for example, when he was using any old words to make the multis work...

That said, I really enjoyed Bender because he understood that multis are just one of many tools to express yourself rather than feeling that every verse has to be crammed with as many multis as possible to be cool even though the result sounds like you are reading a shopping list ala Dirt. I enjoyed some of Dirt's battles but just find that style really grating now. Kinda reminds me of how impressed I was with Juce until I realized that was all he had.

I agree about Clips, I feel like I should like him but except for that insane battle against Rex I've never seen anything in him. But that Rex performance could well put him on this list.
Old 12-25-2020, 12:19 AM   #9
Emancee

Quote:
@Emancee what are the best JC performances? I liked him v Danny Meyers, not as much v Chilla/Illmac or many others
If you didn't enjoy versus Chilla then you're never going to like him as Danny and Chilla are definitely his better ones.

I loved his early Smack run. Lix, Krakk, GA, Pooh Bear, his delivery vs T Dub and especially vs Kannon were all dope. He sounded so natural and his delivery was like a young Rex. His problem was that he wasn't a big stage battler and Smack strangely tried to push him as one.

Last edited by Emancee; 12-29-2020 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:38 AM   #10
Profess
is consistently top 5

Profess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time AntarcticaProfess is better than Grind Time Antarctica
Quote:

I agree about Clips, I feel like I should like him but except for that insane battle against Rex I've never seen anything in him. But that Rex performance could well put him on this list.
Glad to see Clips getting props for his performance vs Rex. That's the main reason I listed him.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:08 AM   #11
SonnyDaze
#NoHardFeelings

Mentioned: 945 Post(s)
SonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICESonnyDaze is NICE
My top 10 from when I watched battles religiously (2010-2017):

Hollow
Surf
Cal
Hitman
Magic
Con
Qleen
Ars
Verb
Rex

My top 10 favorite battlers to watch:

Dirt
Zain
Wizard
Magic
Hollow
Suge
Frozenburg
Qleen
Mackk Myron
Saurus
SonnyDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #12
Abstrakt
List-making Nerdbird

Mentioned: 423 Post(s)
Abstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICEAbstrakt is NICE
i think the best currently are:

ill will
b dot
chilla
k shine
geechi

best OAT: my signature

1. aye verb
2. loaded lux
3. pat stay
4. Calicoe
5. Ill will
Abstrakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #13
TheGodOfPez
Whiskey for breakfast.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
TheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time AustraliaTheGodOfPez is better than Grind Time Australia
My top 10 ever? This can change daily, but I’ll give it a shot.

In no order:

Fresco (my all time favorite easily)
Hollow
Saurus
Surf
Conceited
Real Deal
Lux
Verb
Dumbfoundead
Illmac

Only gave it a glance so didn’t put too much thought into it. Got errands to run so hopefully I’ll come back later and give it some more thought.

Happy holidays fellas, hope you guys are safe and let’s hope 2021 treats us better.

Oh and I hope Marv wins the tournament btw
TheGodOfPez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #14
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
I'm starting to think that I'm not all that impressed by multis the way most guys do them.I remember being confused why everyone thought Souls third against Illmac was so good, for example, when he was using any old words to make the multis work...

That said, I really enjoyed Bender because he understood that multis are just one of many tools to express yourself rather than feeling that every verse has to be crammed with as many multis as possible to be cool even though the result sounds like you are reading a shopping list ala Dirt. I enjoyed some of Dirt's battles but just find that style really grating now. Kinda reminds me of how impressed I was with Juce until I realized that was all he had.

never got the hype about Soul for kinda this reason (although I really dig him v Olde English, maybe because of the smaller/improvised setting he was less try-hard??)

from what I can recall both Bender and Dirt didn't stick 'any old word' into their multis (I'm certain someone could point out that isn't accurate considering their entire careers, just goin off one fanboy's memory). Dirt has the ones that keep me coming back that aren't exactly laden with depth but hard hitting, creative, meaningful in that they make *sense* and *thus* his content could be vicious and hilarious, that's why I hold him in such a high regard. I think that you summed it up well re: the personal preferences. it's like I myself am not bothered by multis even in excess if they're suited for battling. never really caught the shopping list style raps from him myself but fair enough

You're right too that Bender didn't wear the multis out as hard as Dirt did, which is something I respect - but for one example how that isn't the whole story, look at their battle, Dirt kinda washed him and with multis (as for 'why' we can all speculate, obv. there were issues with the venue and crowd, not to disregard that it was basically Dirt at home and Bender away). Not that it's a big deal, nobody regards that battle. & I think Bender was and still is more prolific in the battlesphere and obviously outside it as well

as for Clips being top 10 just for one battle, that's crazy, it's the same thing regarding people like Roc and Hitman being GOAT merely riding off aggression or performance, I just see it differently
Old 12-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #15
Emancee

Quote:
I think that you summed it up well re: the personal preferences. it's like I myself am not bothered by multis even in excess if they're suited for battling. never really caught the shopping list style raps from him myself but fair enough
I tend to be impressed for a round of multi spazzing, but after that I'm kinda like what else have you got and with Dirt his answer is always MORE multis with the exact same rhythm and tone. It's not a bad thing, but three rounds of it and I'm glazing over towards the end and missing bars.That's said,I guess deciding where too many multis begins it's definitely in the eye of the beholder...

I also tend to value performance much higher than most guys on this site. I like battles that get me hype, so I tend to rank guys like Verb and Hitman higher then most here. I'd rather leave a battle crazy hype than leave it scratching my head trying to work out what half of it meant.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #16
Felicity Halsey
Certified vet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Felicity Halsey is not the worst person
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profess View Post
This is the Goat list I agree with the most
Old 12-28-2020, 10:33 PM   #17
Casual

Mentioned: 455 Post(s)
Casual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battleCasual is pushing for a PG battle
All time:

Calicoe
Hollow
Verb
Pat
Illmac
Bender
Surf
Oshea
Qleen
Daylyt
Casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:59 PM   #18
Feral Linguist
otbva

thanks y'all

so collectively this is what it looks like so far, tiered based on mentions more or less, more than 2 mentions

Aye Verb
Loaded Lux
Illmaculate
Hitman Holla
Tsu Surf

Calicoe
Bender
Charlie Clips

Pat Stay
Hollow Da Don
Old 05-21-2021, 01:54 AM   #19
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
i love that hollow is not on this list
Old 05-21-2021, 01:56 AM   #20
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
If you didn't enjoy versus Chilla then you're never going to like him as Danny and Chilla are definitely his better ones.

I loved his early Smack run. Lix, Krakk, GA, Pooh Bear, his delivery vs T Dub and especially vs Kannon were all dope. He sounded so natural and his delivery was like a young Rex. His problem was that he wasn't a big stage battler and Smack strangely tried to push him as one.
this is a high quality post i appreciate these recommendations more than I can say
Old 05-21-2021, 02:02 AM   #21
Feral Linguist
otbva

i think this is a better developed top 10

feel free to update y'alls as well

QPSONS
Magic
Bender
Lux
Fresco
Verb
Surf
Calicoe
Caddy
Dirt
Immaculate

top HMs
Bangz
Rone
Gattas
Bill Collector
Rex
Old 05-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #22
Profess
is consistently top 5

Quote:
i love that hollow is not on this list
Who do you think his return battle is against?

I'm presuming it'll be K-Shine on url. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Hollow is never allowed back on URL after he made disparaging remarks about about how url pays battlers.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:32 PM   #23
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Who do you think his return battle is against?

I'm presuming it'll be K-Shine on url. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Hollow is never allowed back on URL after he made disparaging remarks about about how url pays battlers.
i hope it's Uno Lavoz

Tags