Watching all GTN battles from February 2009

Old 11-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
Wtchr

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wtchr is not the worst person
Watching all GTN battles from February 2009

Super King Armor vs Imaredo
Feb 2, 2009

Fuck, sorry, I didn't mean to make a thread just for Super King Amour vs Imaredo. I really schruted it.

The first battle of Feb 2009, Super King Armor has proven to be mediocre in the past and Imaredo is new.

Lets see who hosts!? I can tell from the thumbnail its from this event where so far PH is doing the good battles and Jaze is doing the bad ones. This is obviously going to be a bad one so I bet its Jaze..

Video starts and its Jaze hosting!

Jaze is talking about how great Fat Beats is so this must be the first battle.

Super King is aggressive and he's flowing well but his content's not memorable.

Imaredo is going in with the homoeroticism. "you look like you got molested by your pastor, he put it in your ass faster and faster and faster" ... weird. I got nothing to say about him otherwise.

If Super King is freestyling he's at least good at keeping it going without stumbling...or repeating filler phrases until his third and he starts every line with 'matter of fact'.

Judges were anonymous for Imaredo. That's fine.
Wtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:50 PM   #2
Wtchr

Locksmith vs Daylyt

Locksmith vs Daylyt
Feb 2, 2009

Okay this'll be good. Locksmith has already had a good showing against Pass and this is Daylyt's debut I think. I was a fan of Day around when he battled Philly Swain and Rich Dollarz but those were KOTD battles and don't remember ever seeing a Daylyt battle on Grind Time. Does he have others? If he doesn't have other GT battles then what was he doing between this one and his KOTD debut? Anyways, his antics were mostly no fun and not funny and he turned me from a fan to a hater pretty quick but I'm expecting him to prove his worth here.

Nocando and Lush hosting, Lush says its Battle of Los Angeles event.

Daylyt doesn't have the spawn mask tat yet. Locksmith daps Nocando before starting then he's got some good bars trying to negate any locks and keys jokes Day might have. He also says something about Daylyt posting shirtless pics of himself and only Dizaster comments. It sounds funny and I hope its true.

Day's first is ho-hum, it's not bad but he's clearly not at the level he's at after he got the mask tat. Lock is seriously prepared and his rounds have been aggressive assaults against Day who isn't rising to the challenge. Day's got some ammo in his second and the crowd's reacting but it seems like a mismatch for Lock whenever Lock spits his rounds. Locke's performance style is like, overwhelming, and Day just isn't delivering like that.

Volunteer OT round. Lush gets them to make some noise for west coast unity, LA to the Bay!

Day had a line "we'll be robin like Batman's sidekick" his first Batman reference?

Day has so many references to kids stuff: charlie brown, seasame st, super mario bros, batman and robin, there's more too.

That was fun. A good battle.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #3
Wtchr

Knowledge Medina vs B.C.

Knowledge Medina vs B.C.
Feb 3, 2009

Not excited about this Florida battle of BC vs Knowledge Medina, "tha beast!"

B.C. previously battled Young Fresh Bastard, a terrible battle. Medina says B.C. is calling out other divisions, who cares?

Medina said BC's teeth have a "moldy design".

B.C. wearing sunglasses in the venue. Honestly B.C. isn't doing bad in this.

Medina said that B.C. goes to Mardis Gras to watch for flashing dicks. Mad Illz doubles over in laughter at that and then Medina chokes.

B.C. starts freestyling and its akward at moments and Knowledge starts predicting lines too so its getting bad.

Knowledge Medina is making fun of B.C. for living in New Orleans and being hit by a hurricane four years earlier. Doesn't every single hurricane ever wreck up at least a part of Florida?

B.C. seemed okay in his first round, the best part of the battle, but he got worse each round and Medina choked bad and wasn't great when he wasn't choking.

B.C. won.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #4
Wtchr

Scott Free vs Mic Fiend

Scott Free vs Mic Fiend
Feb 4, 2009

Not interested in watching these two but we'll see what happens. Mic Fiend battled someone named Koach in a battle I can't remember at all and Scott Free was cannon fodder for Philly Swain's debut. Couldn't care less about seeing either again.

I bet Jaze is hosting a NY battle of this calliber.

Only thing I can say to start off is that it's not the Scott Free from Bellville Ontario who battled Bender in Montreal years ago.

Screen before the battle starts says "Set Scott Free" was he jailed when the battle came out?

Yep, Jaze hosts.

Mic Fiend doesn't say anything for his intro, just gives the camera a cold look. Who the fuck does he think he is?

The little text description under the video says Mic Fiend might be the first NY battler to go 3-0. This is his second battle uploaded to the channel and as far as I can tell he only has one other battle uploaded, vs Complex, which took place at an event in Jan 2009, before they upped vs Scott Free. I guess he wins one of those two and the dum-dums who write the intros got real time and youtube time mixed up.

Weird camera work. Angles from below, using different cameras with different quality and the battle looks completely different in lighting and colour depending on the perspective. Sudden closeups and zoom-ins.

This battle is fine. Not good, not bad, not fun to watch. Dumb vs Illusion-Z next.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:02 AM   #5
Wtchr

Dumbfoundead vs Illusion-Z

Feb 6, 2009

Battle of LA battle hosted by Nocan and Lush.

Dumb started with a story of talking to Lush who told him Illusion is an "immigrant from Spain" and then did a bunch of Mexican jokes, which is typical against Illusion but then Dumb ended his round with "I know your not Mexican, and that's fine by me but to the rest of the world you are Mexican and I'm Chinese" which was kind of a brilliant justification for the Mexican shit.

Damn, Illusion-Z starts stumbling and its no good to hear after a great first round from Dumb. He gets going but its not much good against Dumb. Dumb stumbled in his second too.

A lot of regional references I don't get. "Selling [something] meat in Redondo Beach" - Illusion Z, and Dumb says something about Boyle Heights. I gotta look this stuff up.

Dumb called Illusion-Z one of those Homies figurines.

Punchlines are coming too fast from both these guys. Nocan said the battle was "amazingly racist", can't argue with that.

Goes to OT in a part two.

Illusion-Z is going in on the whole 'Asians eat pets' angle pretty hard during the OT. Dumb was clearly better in the OT, I don't think I need to say anything else.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
TheFakeDetour
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
TheFakeDetour is not the worst person
are you fucked in the head shut up
TheFakeDetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:45 PM   #7
Emancee

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Emancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFakeDetour View Post
Nah, keep going. This whole thread is better than most of the trash on here. This guy is actually talking about rap... On a rap forum!
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Emancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #8
rikkymang

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
rikkymang is a PY Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wtchr View Post
A lot of regional references I don't get. "Selling [something] meat in Redondo Beach" -
Gato meat - gato is spanish for cat....

Keep these reviews going
rikkymang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:25 AM   #9
Emancee

Emancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICEEmancee is NICE
Quote:
A lot of regional references I don't get. "Selling [something] meat in Redondo Beach" - Illusion Z, and Dumb says something about Boyle Heights. I gotta look this stuff up.
Boyle Heights is the Latino/ Hispanic area of LA.
Go nuts/nutty like a type of nut; Michael Vick/John Wick/ dogs; St. Patrick's Day; gun/ sports star number; kill/ kilt; animal bars (Wings/ falcon, long nose/ elephant etc), Whatcha know about..., Asians/ cooking cats/ Chins; rebuttling your own clothing; being Bobby Rex...
Old 11-13-2019, 03:05 AM   #10
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFakeDetour View Post
... lol
Old 11-13-2019, 03:06 AM   #11
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emancee View Post
Nah, keep going. This whole thread is better than most of the trash on here. This guy is actually talking about rap... On a rap forum!
Knowing the internet, I expected this kinda response sooner than now.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:12 AM   #12
irvsykeg

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
irvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australiairvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:

Feb 6, 2009

Battle of LA battle hosted by Nocan and Lush.

Dumb started with a story of talking to Lush who told him Illusion is an "immigrant from Spain" and then did a bunch of Mexican jokes, which is typical against Illusion but then Dumb ended his round with "I know your not Mexican, and that's fine by me but to the rest of the world you are Mexican and I'm Chinese" which was kind of a brilliant justification for the Mexican shit.

Damn, Illusion-Z starts stumbling and its no good to hear after a great first round from Dumb. He gets going but its not much good against Dumb. Dumb stumbled in his second too.

Dumb called Illusion-Z one of those Homies figurines.

Punchlines are coming too fast from both these guys. Nocan said the battle was "amazingly racist", can't argue with that.

Goes to OT in a part two.

Illusion-Z is going in on the whole 'Asians eat pets' angle pretty hard during the OT. Dumb was clearly better in the OT, I don't think I need to say anything else.
gato meat and homies figurines has one of my fav setups "blown to smitherines" dumbfounded with the sick me reference

locksmith sucks and was terrible vs pass, pass whooped his ass. said it then, saying it now.

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
irvsykeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #13
Dear Diary
Rhetheric's like finally

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Dear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time AustraliaDear Diary is better than Grind Time Australia
please keep doing these, i enjoy reading them. just felt the need to say that after i've just silently been reading for this whole time.

it doesn't surprise me EG doesn't love Locksmith, he wasn't exactly the most complex writer. but i really enjoy his flow and delivery, he's intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dank Schrader View Post
id think if you are a virgin by choice, you have probably got the self respect and common sense to wash your butt crack every once in a while
Dear Diary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #14
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvsykeg View Post
locksmith sucks and was terrible vs pass, pass whooped his ass. said it then, saying it now.
I'm not gonna argue that Pass lost that battle but can you educate me on how Locksmith sucks? He starts soft in that battle but from what I remember he had some good material and his delivery and flow are pretty good.

His facial expressions and arm flailing are a bit much.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:28 AM   #15
Wtchr

Swave Sevah vs Chuck Black

Swave Sevah vs Chuck Black
Feb 6, 2009

Swave Sevah's GTN debut, I know he can be good when he tries. Chuck Black has one unmemorable performance in a battle with Etika Ice, a battle with a 100k+ view count because Ice later became a known gamer who comited suicide last year.

Expecting Swave to win. First battle released from the fourth NY event.

Swave's age is 'immortal' which much mean he was kinda old for this. He shouts out Bishop Brigante.

PH is hosting with Jaze standing next to him.

Right away Swave's style seems pretty advanced, like the prototype for everything we hear now that just seems to drag on and on. His first he starts by apologizing to PH for making him accessory to a murder and then gives a eugology for Chuck Black that ends "when he's resting in his grave, clutching a letter from his girl that read 'babe, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm fuckin' Swave". It all rhymes but it's almost conversational the way he delivers it all.

Chuck Black sounds like a typical battle rapper "you a rat that knows karate, you master splinter!' it's not bad but Swave is doing something we haven't heard in GT at this point. It's not super entertaining like a Dumbfoundead or a Hollow perfomance but its pretty good. "I'm a hard problem to solve and you ain't the answer fellow, how the fuck you chuck black? you more banana yellow" hysterical laughter follows.

Swave gets a foul and the count appears on the screen.

After Swave's 2nd round ender Chuck starts with a "When I'm in the booth, I spit the truth" rhyme and its lame. This is pretty lopsided for Swave. Of course the judges unanimously chose Swave.

Cortez, as a judge, thinks Swave freestyled the whole thing. I don't see how he could possibly freestyle stuff that well structured but maybe... what do I know.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #16
Wtchr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkymang View Post
Gato meat - gato is spanish for cat....

Keep these reviews going
Ugh, okay, I gotta ask what might be a really stupid question... but I can't help it.

Are there really guys selling gato meat out there?

No judgement from me if there are, maybe cats are delicious.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:44 PM   #17
Wtchr

Friday the 13th vs Yellow Rat Bassterd

Friday the 13th vs Yellow Rat Bassterd
Feb 6, 2009

This looks to be the first of a streak of 12 shitty battles in a row. It will end, 13 battles from now, when I get to Real Deal vs Tut. It'll probably be the longest streak of bad battles since new divisions were added. Of course... there is the possibility that maybe some of these battles that I'm expecting to be trash are actually good. We'll see. Anyways, here Friday the 13th goes against Yellow Rat Bassterd in a battle where the loser should be considered to have the worst name in GTNY. Friday Da 13th has that Aspire look, much like V-Money.

Friday's third battle after two completely forgettable showings. Yellow was the other guy in Soul Kahn's debut.

This is from GTNY 3 and Jaze is hosting the battle.

"You'll be french kissing anus and dicks" - Friday Da 13th.

"My clique's known for big dicks, that's why my posse's cocky" - Friday Da 13th

Yellow Rat Bassterd stumbled and he starts doing some weird freestyling "It looks like you stole your fuckin jacket from a bunny rabbit" - people started booing.

Friday Da 13th spit a bunch of unbelievable gangsta gun drug slinging raps in his 2nd. Yellow started his 2nd by saying Friday is a wannabe gangsta which is the truest thing said in the battle but Yellow's blowing this battle so it doesn't matter what he says. He also said Friday looks like an actor from Dawson's Creek and in another line he said he looks like an actor from The O.C.
Were either of those shows still on in 2009?

Yellow started getting some laughs in the third but when he got his biggest reaction it seemed like it threw him off again and he went back to stumbling through stupid freestyles.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:35 AM   #18
irvsykeg

irvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australiairvsykeg is better than Grind Time Australia
Quote:
I'm not gonna argue that Pass lost that battle but can you educate me on how Locksmith sucks? He starts soft in that battle but from what I remember he had some good material and his delivery and flow are pretty good.

His facial expressions and arm flailing are a bit much.
lock has a very polished and crisp delivery, but his overall attitude and style are hella grating to me. if i'm just going to talk about him vs pass (or in this era), it's just his demeanor while saying next to nothing over and over. like he's polished to the point of being unnatural at times and the whole "beat me, nigga, meet me, nigga" type shit is bleh.

the pass battle was a really cool thing because pass was mad young and lock is/was a big name in the bay back then. it was a small room deal (obv), not a big hyped event, and lock was 100% doing something cool and more favorable to pass/GT than the opposite. so that's tight. and the folks on pass side (or neutral/fans of both, but with pass) were mad respectful and not overhyping bars or nothing but pass def had better content/disses and his shit aged way better

for why i dont like lock in general, all of the above + his super holier than thou pretentious attitude. in battles he was mad basic, fake laughing at his own jokes with overselling (not funny jokes), and then his like fake evil angry delivery, idk hes like arabian solomon but half the writer.

in freestyles hes always sayin some corny ass shit like "I SHOW YALL WHAT REAL LYRICS IS LIKE, MY LYRICAL LYRICISM ELEVATING THE GAME TO UNLIMITED HEIGHTS, LYRICISM DYING A SLOW DEATH, IM HERE TO GIVE IT SOME LIFE, WHEN LYRICS ARE CAST INTO THE SHADOWS MY LYRICS IS LIGHT!" and other gay shit

plus he ran over my dog a few years bback. that might be it

"Nigga, I'll untwist your corn rows with a crossbow and toss your lost soul to the crossroads." - Pumpkinhead (RIP)
Old 12-25-2019, 01:38 AM   #19
irvsykeg

that song of his from back in GT days was tight tho. this one:

Old 04-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #20
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
vokab206 is not the worst person
It was a good effort.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
https://vokab206.bandcamp.com/releases
vokab206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #21
ThaDiz
A bump bump bump

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ThaDiz is not the worst person
This was dope to go back through. Nostalgic
ThaDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #22
Wtchr

Hi, I just happened to pop on over here after being absent for a while and saw my thread at the top of the list.

Maybe now that I'm working at home and like 5 or so months have passed I can pick this up again but man, I hit a wall watching these Feb 2009 battles that I felt like I couldn't overcome. It was like, 14 shit battles in a row and I don't think I was really uncovering hidden gems watching these.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
Emancee

Quote:
Hi, I just happened to pop on over here after being absent for a while and saw my thread at the top of the list.

Maybe now that I'm working at home and like 5 or so months have passed I can pick this up again but man, I hit a wall watching these Feb 2009 battles that I felt like I couldn't overcome. It was like, 14 shit battles in a row and I don't think I was really uncovering hidden gems watching these.
Honestly you were heading for some battles so horrible I still remember them now, so probably a good choice lol
Old 04-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #24
Wtchr

I think the trajectory of this project was, I started watching the 2008 battles and most of them were trash, but there were still fun to watch in the right frame of mind. That wore off over time though and then each new V-Money or Mosh Jelton battle took way more effort to watch than the last one. It felt painful watching one of the hosts say "dope fucking battle" at the end of another horrorshow with 3k views.

I've probably recharged enough that I can resume watching absolute garbage and I can definitely fit a battle-viewing into my daily schedule while I'm shut-in.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #25
Wtchr

Hugo vs Al N York

Hugo vs Al N York
Feb 9, 2009

This is exactly what I'm talking about with the wall of garbage battles. This is from a Florida tryout event and I don't think a single rapper from this event went on. They're coming to this event with names that disappoint. Hugo? Good Lord.... "Good Lord" would be a better rapper name than what these guys are bringing. Al N York.. his real name has gotta be Allen York. Try a little harder guys.

ROund 1, Hugo can fuck off. Al N York is a bit funny but whatever. He's doing the "his rhymes are written" thing. GT is a year old at this point and dudes are battling that don't know its a written league. At least they're doing 30 second rounds.
Old 04-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #26
vokab206
Battle Rapper

The recaps are better than the battles at this point we know.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 04-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #27
ThaDiz
A bump bump bump

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ThaDiz is not the worst person
Nah for real I enjoy the fuck out this thread so props to you for doing it, keep 'em going man. It's cool looking back this far
ThaDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #28
Feral Linguist
otbva

Feral Linguist is not the worst person
@Wtchr ya know you could pick the battles you wanna review and just go on, you've already done a major service
Feral Linguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #29
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvsykeg View Post
lock has a very polished and crisp delivery, but his overall attitude and style are hella grating to me. if i'm just going to talk about him vs pass (or in this era), it's just his demeanor while saying next to nothing over and over. like he's polished to the point of being unnatural at times and the whole "beat me, nigga, meet me, nigga" type shit is bleh.

the pass battle was a really cool thing because pass was mad young and lock is/was a big name in the bay back then. it was a small room deal (obv), not a big hyped event, and lock was 100% doing something cool and more favorable to pass/GT than the opposite. so that's tight. and the folks on pass side (or neutral/fans of both, but with pass) were mad respectful and not overhyping bars or nothing but pass def had better content/disses and his shit aged way better

for why i dont like lock in general, all of the above + his super holier than thou pretentious attitude. in battles he was mad basic, fake laughing at his own jokes with overselling (not funny jokes), and then his like fake evil angry delivery, idk hes like arabian solomon but half the writer.

in freestyles hes always sayin some corny ass shit like "I SHOW YALL WHAT REAL LYRICS IS LIKE, MY LYRICAL LYRICISM ELEVATING THE GAME TO UNLIMITED HEIGHTS, LYRICISM DYING A SLOW DEATH, IM HERE TO GIVE IT SOME LIFE, WHEN LYRICS ARE CAST INTO THE SHADOWS MY LYRICS IS LIGHT!" and other gay shit

plus he ran over my dog a few years bback. that might be it
just wanna say you are an absolute fuckin riot man, all your posts are throwing pearls to swine
Old 04-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #30
Wtchr

Passda / AC vs Chuck Black

Robert vs Passda
Feb 9, 2009

Passda is the only name on the video title. Lets find out why.

The sound is so bad on Robert I can't tell what he's saying at all. Passda does a bunch of stuff, he said I'm "mad ill, I've got mad skillz" and I thought him saying "mad ill" was already a little nod to Mad Illz but then he throws in "your girl's pussy look like the head of mad illz". Whatever man.

Then Robert comes back and he says "your stupid as fuck, your girl is stupid as fuck, she's a super slut" and then a bunch of nonsense then it just kind of petered out.

Passda is doing a second round but I don't really care. Moving on...

AC (Amazin Crack) vs Chuck Black
Feb 9, 2009

A GTNY Battle with Jaze Juce hosting so it probably will be a waste of time.
Not too excited for AC vs Chuck Black.

For his intro Chuck Black just leans his head back as far as it goes and gives a braindead, droopy-eyed look at the camera. It's a very "special needs" look.

AC's battled in Florida already. He does a 100 nose touches in his first round and its all 'chuck' name flips and generic shit.

Chuck touches his nose after every line too. He's better than AC, but that's not worth much. AC is waay louder so this could go either way.

AC said something like "he's gay, he lives the suite life like zach and cody" and the audience laughs. Like... that's not funny! Don't Laugh. They must have been pretty starved for entertainment at this point.

AC's third round is entirely made up of a pretty standard filler strategy for battlers. "I'm a knockout, you're a love tap" type rhymes. "I'm an awesome thing, he's a shit thing!" I don't like it.

Chuck Black has a ton of dick and balls talk that I don't like too much either.
AC was a little more polished as a performer, Chuck Black probably had better lines - both were operating at a pretty medium level. Judges gave it to AC and Chuck Black took the loss well.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #31
Wtchr

Jonny Voss vs Hemisphere

Jonny Voss vs Hemisphere
Feb 11, 2009

Before I watched this there was a trailer for Grind Time West tryouts that included Kid Caustic, Fox, Absyrd, and its just a reiteration of how far above the rest of the divisions the west was. I don't know all these names (some of them were Florida level, like Jorgy and Tommy Guns) but even Absyrd, who I always thought of as the lowest tier Fresh Coast battler, comes off as way better than the average rapper of the other divisions. Hi Vokab, I saw you in this.

Ok, here we go. I've seen these two names before but I don't remember anything about them. LETS FUCKIN GO!

Battling outside the Citrus Bowl, it sounds like there's audience noise coming from the stadium, and lots of honking and Mad Illz looks like he's distracted by absolutely anything that takes his attention away from the battle.

Hemisphere's a pretty generic 2000's era wigger who started his round by calling himself Grind Time's elite. By this time he had one other battle, against New Eruh who you probably don't remember unless you know him from your block.

Jonny Voss wasn't good and he did what I think was supposed to be an Irish accent but it was really just his voice reaching some high pitch while he said something about a "four leaf clover".

Hemisphere said "Futurama wasn't lying, this fat amazonian bitch is a snoo-snoo" and after THAT he said "you don't spit with lyricism and shit like that, <then some filler> you're not a true lyricist." You should listen to yourself, Hemisphere, before you yell about lyricism. You should take a long hard look in the mirror, because maybe that Futurama line wasn't reaching the level of true lyricism needed to effectively lead into lecturing Jonny Voss about lyric quality.

Hemisphere did a kinda funny bit about being in Jonny Voss' (who's one of those guys who's obviously not in shape but not really fat - hes got the same physique as mad Illz) gravitational pull, and he walks around Voss like he's in his orbit. There's a laugh there but its obvious that 'fat' is the easiest angle to take for these bad rappers. I'm kinda guessing that for a rapper of Hemisphere's quality, any rapper who isn't very skinny or athletic is fat enough for them to milk it for all three rounds.

Battle is full of references to Orlando rappers from their scene and I don't get any of it. Jonny Voss in his second is doing impersonations of a bunch of the Orlando battlers though and its kinda good. Then Hemisphere pulls out a printout of Voss kissing his girl and the crowd laughs like crazy. To me though, this is a dud and I don't get what's funny about this. Then Hemisphere screams that he's going to make Voss cry, and cry and die, and its some weak freestyling shouted at a vein-bursting level. Idiot judges all voted for Hemisphere like it was a murder when all Hemisphere had was some poor fat jokes and a dumb printout and some bad, loudly screamed filler. It was not a 'sick' battle but there's no doubt in my mind Jonny Voss beat Hemisphere.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:24 PM   #32
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Quote:

Jonny Voss vs Hemisphere
Feb 11, 2009

Before I watched this there was a trailer for Grind Time West tryouts that included Kid Caustic, Fox, Absyrd, and its just a reiteration of how far above the rest of the divisions the west was. I don't know all these names (some of them were Florida level, like Jorgy and Tommy Guns) but even Absyrd, who I always thought of as the lowest tier Fresh Coast battler, comes off as way better than the average rapper of the other divisions. Hi Vokab, I saw you in this.

Ok, here we go. I've seen these two names before but I don't remember anything about them. LETS FUCKIN GO!

Battling outside the Citrus Bowl, it sounds like there's audience noise coming from the stadium, and lots of honking and Mad Illz looks like he's distracted by absolutely anything that takes his attention away from the battle.

Hemisphere's a pretty generic 2000's era wigger who started his round by calling himself Grind Time's elite. By this time he had one other battle, against New Eruh who you probably don't remember unless you know him from your block.

Jonny Voss wasn't good and he did what I think was supposed to be an Irish accent but it was really just his voice reaching some high pitch while he said something about a "four leaf clover".

Hemisphere said "Futurama wasn't lying, this fat amazonian bitch is a snoo-snoo" and after THAT he said "you don't spit with lyricism and shit like that, <then some filler> you're not a true lyricist." You should listen to yourself, Hemisphere, before you yell about lyricism. You should take a long hard look in the mirror, because maybe that Futurama line wasn't reaching the level of true lyricism needed to effectively lead into lecturing Jonny Voss about lyric quality.

Hemisphere did a kinda funny bit about being in Jonny Voss' (who's one of those guys who's obviously not in shape but not really fat - hes got the same physique as mad Illz) gravitational pull, and he walks around Voss like he's in his orbit. There's a laugh there but its obvious that 'fat' is the easiest angle to take for these bad rappers. I'm kinda guessing that for a rapper of Hemisphere's quality, any rapper who isn't very skinny or athletic is fat enough for them to milk it for all three rounds.

Battle is full of references to Orlando rappers from their scene and I don't get any of it. Jonny Voss in his second is doing impersonations of a bunch of the Orlando battlers though and its kinda good. Then Hemisphere pulls out a printout of Voss kissing his girl and the crowd laughs like crazy. To me though, this is a dud and I don't get what's funny about this. Then Hemisphere screams that he's going to make Voss cry, and cry and die, and its some weak freestyling shouted at a vein-bursting level. Idiot judges all voted for Hemisphere like it was a murder when all Hemisphere had was some poor fat jokes and a dumb printout and some bad, loudly screamed filler. It was not a 'sick' battle but there's no doubt in my mind Jonny Voss beat Hemisphere.
Jorgy "you got a sun tan under a dick" was hilarious. Generic too did a tryout as well as Blacksmith aka Joe Powers now. Joe improved a ton.

soundcloud.com/vokab206
Old 04-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #33
Wtchr

Real Deal vs TUT

Real Deal vs Tut
Feb 11, 2009

Okay! The bad battles are done, I hope, because I'm expecting Real Deal to deliver a good performance. Don't know Tut but Sonny Bamboo said he's a Scribble Jam runner up.

Tut said his website name: "This is Tut almighty, nappyheadinc.com, click the pic." It occurred to me that I don't think I've ever checked out a battler's website after a battle although I would have searched for them on youtube.
I used the wayback machine to get to the site he named and clicking on 'TUT' just takes you to his myspace page.

RDs first was a lot of "you'll never get a deal" lines, but he didn't play off his own name at all. It's funny to think about how often this "you are not commercially viable!" angle was used when now, 10 years later, none of these guys have signed contracts. Is that something they were all hoping for back then? RDs first is not bad but he made fun of TUT in ways that would have only really hit if TUT went first, like he's got some lines about TUT's voice sounding like Scooby Doo but I haven't heard TUT rap yet. He ended his first with a line about Pittsburgh never loses to Cleveland and the crowd went crazy, must be a sports thing.

TUT flipped the Scooby Doo line, but he's trying to freestyle everything and its not terrible as far as his lines go but its going in an Unorthodox Phrases direction, with long pauses. Phrases might be able to work that against some weak Orlando bottom tier but there's no way that's going to work against a prepared Real Deal. RD's second is rapid fire jokes on TUT and I think the contrast is giving Deal some momentum. Too bad he ends his second with the line, "only you and Drew Carey think that Cleveland rocks." Stupid sitcom lines are almost always a misfire (Step Easy could do a good Seinfeld line) but Drew Carey had been off the air for 5 years when this battle came out.

TUT's second is a bunch of filler but he's performing better. It seemed like he got like 4 lines off in the first and he got some more lines out in the second but Real Deal's rapid fire again. In his third though he referred to Fran Drescher... forget sitcoms man, they're lame. TUT's third was decent. All the judges agonize over the decision and they vote OT.

Real Deal gave a lackluster OT about fucking TUT's mom, TUT did the same kind of stuff as the other rounds and in this OT that was enough to beat a weakened RD, so TUT won.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:31 PM   #34
timesup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
timesup is not the worst person
great fuckin thread, would be dope if u added a rating system!!!
timesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:24 AM   #35
Wtchr

Reverse Live vs Dizaster

Reverse Live vs Dizaster
Feb 12, 2009

Okay, a Fresh Coast battle!I'm not a huge Dizaster fan but I'm still expecting this to get me out of the doldrums of the last 14 or so battles, since Real Deal vs TUT didn't quite cut it. Reverse Live never made much of an impression on me but he was pretty good vs Tantrum so I think this'll be pretty good.

Reverse Live's first round has come and gone. It was fine. Diz does a bunch of fat lines but he ends the bit with this long multisyllable "doctors have checked him/ shocking detection /a gnarly infection/ stoppin his breath from / something collecting / cardial section" - it's pretty impressive. Then he throws in a line about Palestine after all of this, rebuttling a Reverse line.. is he freestyling all of this? I might like the Diz performances from before he was a headliner way more than the ones that he does now.

Is Diz really a rich kid? That's what a lot of Reverse Line's content is about.

Diz called Reverse Live a talking honda civic and cartman from south park, its pretty funny and he goes into a Cartman impression. In the second and third he builds momentum to a peak and then seems to lose it and kinda sputter some filler for a bit. He's almost at the end of the round when he gets to that point so its not a big deal. He seems way more fun in these older battles and he's animated in a way that's not all weird. Reverse Live was decent but it's kinda just like... he's not as good as Dizaster here.

Diz is a clear winner but they do an OT and Reverse Live does a kinda weak OT compared to Diz saying he'll turn Live's block into a hostage situation and then a pretty intense round about Live's family being white trash Americans.

Thesaurus said 'no homo' during his judging segment, I didn't know that was a thing in '09 yet. Judges unanimously picked Diz.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:26 AM   #36
Wtchr

Caustic vs D. Wiggins

Caustic vs D. Wiggins
Feb 13, 2009

A Fresh Coast tryout battle, Caustic's Grind Time Debut. Not sure who D. Wiggins is but he's probably sub par out west but better than everyone in FL, save Madness and Jonny Storm. That might not be fair but it's a guess at what to expect.

Man, Lush is a fun host. Him and Plex are a classic combo and I feel good seeing them together.

Caustic said in his intro, "510 where we nickle and dime you to death" which doesn't sound like a cool thing to say.

D Wiggins starts his 1st with a pretend phone call to Lush and does the "he said, Caustic and I said, 'huh? you got me battling an ostrich?!' 'naw dude, Caustic' "you got me battling the amish?!'" I can't remember now if anyone has done this bit in GT already but I know it becomes a staple. I'm pretty sure someone else has already done a "I talked to Drect on the phone" verse before. I think its funny that D Wiggins does the finger phone up to his mouth for most of the round. He doesn't have to do that.

Caustic's pretty harsh, "I'll sock you in the jaw so hard it'll turn your robotics off?" "your adopted soccer mom looks like the boss from sonic, that bitch looks like robotnik" Dizaster intervened to give Caustic props for the Sonic the Hedgehog reference.

Its clear when Wiggins starts his second he's outmatched. Caustic's second is weaker but I don't think he's going to lose. I'm starting to realize that I don't think I like Wiggins because his whole style and mannerisms is reminding me of Bartone.

A lot of these rappers, like Caustic and Diz, who are now headlining veterans with a million battles, I don't really like them in 2020. Like, I'm not going to watch a new Caustic battle (and there's no way I'm touching Diz vs Khan) but I'm having a good time watching their old shit, and they're good in these old battles too.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #37
Feral Linguist
otbva

Quote:

Reverse Live vs Dizaster
Feb 12, 2009

Okay, a Fresh Coast battle!I'm not a huge Dizaster fan but I'm still expecting this to get me out of the doldrums of the last 14 or so battles, since Real Deal vs TUT didn't quite cut it. Reverse Live never made much of an impression on me but he was pretty good vs Tantrum so I think this'll be pretty good.

Reverse Live's first round has come and gone. It was fine. Diz does a bunch of fat lines but he ends the bit with this long multisyllable "doctors have checked him/ shocking detection /a gnarly infection/ stoppin his breath from / something collecting / cardial section" - it's pretty impressive. Then he throws in a line about Palestine after all of this, rebuttling a Reverse line.. is he freestyling all of this? I might like the Diz performances from before he was a headliner way more than the ones that he does now.

Is Diz really a rich kid? That's what a lot of Reverse Line's content is about.

Diz called Reverse Live a talking honda civic and cartman from south park, its pretty funny and he goes into a Cartman impression. In the second and third he builds momentum to a peak and then seems to lose it and kinda sputter some filler for a bit. He's almost at the end of the round when he gets to that point so its not a big deal. He seems way more fun in these older battles and he's animated in a way that's not all weird. Reverse Live was decent but it's kinda just like... he's not as good as Dizaster here.

Diz is a clear winner but they do an OT and Reverse Live does a kinda weak OT compared to Diz saying he'll turn Live's block into a hostage situation and then a pretty intense round about Live's family being white trash Americans.

Thesaurus said 'no homo' during his judging segment, I didn't know that was a thing in '09 yet. Judges unanimously picked Diz.
nice to see you back man, revisited this one on your account, was pretty solid - Reverse almost always comes with dope bars, just doesn't have quite the delivery to optimize their potency
Old 04-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #38
Wtchr

P-Nut vs Fox

P-Nut vs Fox
Feb 13, 2009

Another GTWC tryout from two names I recognize. Dizaster co-hosts with Lush and Plex.

Conceited cameo, he's standing behind Fox. Lush said P-Nut was his Mind Games '05 tag team partner. Any lore to go with that statement?

Fox said 'finna' and I didn't know that was said back in oh nine. He also said "I'ma leave this square in a bag, cinnamon toast crunch" and I think that's the earliest 'put em in a box' style line I've heard here. Don't know why he chose bag instead of box... I mean, I know there's always that bag that holds the cereal inside the box.

Fox is kinda rushing through his material, his content's not bad but he's not much of a performer, he's just kinda rapping away. P-Nut's content is weaker but he's a better performer and he's getting more reaction.

Fox is doing better in his second. Should do an inventory of all his gun lines he's mentioned at least 4 different guns by the end of his second. It sounds like he worked hard on maintaining his rhyming patterns but its not like heavy battle ammo. Him and Conceited and Plex are like a tri-colour flag, yellow/pink/blue. The whole rest of the crowd is black, white and grey.
Old 04-15-2020, 12:27 AM   #39
Wtchr

Chase Moore vs Vokab

Chase Moore vs Vokab
Feb 13, 2009

So I'm finally going to watch a battle with someone who has been contributing to these threads since I started doing this. Vokab, just to say something nice in case I don't like your performance here, I've always liked your production on that Arcane track... All Saintz Day. I mean that.

I recognize both names but I'm not sure what to expect from either rapper here. Chase Moore was always on DBD's podcast right? I know Vokab is a producer and has battled in KOTD West but I cant remember if I've watched him battle. Another tryout battle from the West. Chase Moore's got the Iron Solomon look.

This is the third tryout battle in a row where the guy on the right starts off by addressing Lush in some way. Wigguns did it for the whole first round, P-Nut did it for a line, now Chase starts of by saying "let me thank this guy who took the time (gestures to Lush), for putting me in a battle rhyme (I think this is what he says) against frankenstein."

It looks like there are some parents in the audience. A couple older guys behind Chase.

Aw man, I was hoping to like this but I can't. Chase and Vokab are getting some reaction so it seems like the people in the building might have enjoyed this but all I'm hearing is Chase's weird multis, and Vokab had two 'penis' lines in his first. Was that necessary? I think Vokab's material is better constructed as Chase throws awkward words into a line to keep rhythm or get to a rhyme or it's like, too forced. He said something against Vokab like, "I can't believe this leafy tree guy's skinny as twigs - he's like 6'6, as skinny as sixty-six pixie stix and listens to the dixie chicks." I don't know why Vokab is a leafy tree guy but also its two "skinny as's" in one bit and I don't like rhyming "six six" with "sixty six" - to end it all with a throwaway line about listening to lame music seems appropriate to me.

Vokab starts his second with a line about Chase saying "aww crikey!" There's a small laugh there except that Chase Moore does not come off Australian at all.
His part about "Iron Solomon's Rhyme Following" was better.

Don't care about Chase's third but his line about Vokab's name backwards "back off!" was nice. Chase Moore should be like super-australian to warrant Vokab's third round.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #40
vokab206
Battle Rapper

Your review is better than any of the Youtube comments haha! Appreciate the time and re-watch.

I'm not the producer Vokab. He's from Toronto. I'm the Vokab who is on a track with Masta Ace.

https://mpandvokab.bandcamp.com/albu...nd-f-masta-ace

Standing by to see more of these. Timeless reviews.

soundcloud.com/vokab206

Tags